• Show
Clear All
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Deceased - my father

Living - ALL of my BT3 bretheren and the SWMBO's who put up with us....to me yo uare ALL famous
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery
      My father died several years ago. I'd lunch with him and my mother (still living).
      That's my favorite answer!

Originally posted by JoeyGee
      Living--Osama Bin Laden; Deceased--ANY deceased USMC jarhead. I don't need to eat. I'll just sit back and watch.
      And that's my second favorite!

For me (regardless of whether or not I can pick him, whether he's considered dead or alive, whether or not he's the son of God, or whether or not I'm a Christian -- it doesn't really matter) I'd pick Jesus. From what I've read it seems like he's be a pretty cool guy to hang out and chat with. (To be clear, this isn't a religious statement or intended to spark any kind of religious debate. 'nuff said.)

Of those with a less nebulous status, though, I think I'd pick my father's father (who died in '75) and Merissa Tomei because I think she's a doll.
      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Dead - my father, who died when I was less than 2 months old. If they must be famous, I'd take Mother Theresa.

Alive (I think) - I don't even know his name (saw him on TV), but he was a Jewish business owner, who had quite a few people, of various ethnicities, working for him. He never laid anyone off, even in hard times, and he sincerely cared about those who worked for him. He paid medical bills for those who couldn't pay. He was generous to the point that he was in trouble trying to keep his business. Very much not what you'd expect for a wealthy man.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JSCOOK
          • Sep 2006
          • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by docrowan
          Well, crud. I forgot about CS Lewis. Instead of lunch, can I have a banquet?
          Oh Oh ... now you got me wanting to change mine ... I would definitely consider CS Lewis ... that would be a real treat!
          "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• 68KANE
            Established Member
            • Jan 2005
            • Atlanta, Georgia.

Great topic and I'd offer a couple from different categories.

Political:
            Living = Ted Kennedy
            Deceased = Mary Jo Kopechne

I'd love to reunite these two just to see ol' Ted squirm and turn red (for once not from the effects of alcohol)

Hollywood:
            Living = Jessica Alba (wow; just wow)
            Deceased = Natalie Wood (again wow)

Heads of State:
            Living = Tony Blair
            Deceased = Ronald Reagan
            What's her's is her's and what's mine is her's!

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Originally posted by 68KANE
              Great topic and I'd offer a couple from different categories.

Political:
              Living = Ted Kennedy
              Deceased = Mary Jo Kopechne

I'd love to reunite these two just to see ol' Ted squirm and turn red (for once not from the effects of alcohol)

Hollywood:
              Living = Jessica Alba (wow; just wow)
              Deceased = Natalie Wood (again wow)

Heads of State:
              Living = Tony Blair
              Deceased = Ronald Reagan
              Hollywood might be O.K., but no politics.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Deceased, either Col Greg 'Pappy' Boyington or Gen Lewis 'Chesty' Puller

Living, George Lucas
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Dead...
                  Adolph Hitler so I could delve into, "what the h*ll were you thinking"?

Living...
                  A. Treut Cathy.. 86 yr. old CEO and founder of Chick-fil-a, philanthropist, genuinely nice and charismatic southern gentlemen who despite living in poverty during the depression, opened a small restuarant in Hapeville, Ga. after returning from WW II and molded it into a corporate gaint amongst fast food chains by removing the bones from chicken breast and putting them in a sandwich. And still manages to kick the competitions "arse" despite refusing to have his restaurants open on Sunday when for the last 51 years he has taught Sunday school to 13 year old boys.

And I can scratch that one off the list.. as I and several others from my work had lunch with him last Wednesday. And I walked away a much wiser parent and man from our discussion!

Regards...
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2007, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Jaden
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Trenton, MI
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                    I want a do-over, I was being selfish.

Living--Osama Bin Laden

Deceased--ANY deceased USMC jarhead.

I don't need to eat. I'll just sit back and watch.
                    I'll give up my choices just to sit in the room with JoeyGee during his meeting...

Steve
                    "I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

Living - tough choice, probably Neil Peart, though Lance Armstrong would be high on the list as well, and George Lucas would be darned tempting.

Dead - Immanuel Kant, probably.
                      Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

• scorrpio
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I would very much like to be at a lunch with Vladimir Putin (present Russian leader) and Peter the Great. (Greatest leader Russia ever knew).

Comment

• BearPipes-1
                          Established Member
                          • May 2006
                          • Silicon Valley, CA
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JSCOOK
                          Oh Oh ... now you got me wanting to change mine ... I would definitely consider CS Lewis ... that would be a real treat!
                          Oh, to have archival footage of the Inklings meetings.

One of my favorite poets, Philip Larkin, disliked Lewis' lectures at Oxford, but he's about the only person I've heard of who felt that way, and he was a notorious crank.
                          Don't just say no to kickback.

Comment

• messmaker
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2004
                            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                            • Ridgid 2424

deceased-H.G. Wells or Mark Twain
                            living -Colin Powell
                            spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• tuttlejr
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

I would have to limit my choices to only live persons. I don't want a dead person at the lunch table.

Sorry, no smiley faces here. Maybe an elbow nudge to your ribs.
                              Bob Tuttle

Comment

• LarryG
                                The Full Monte
                                • May 2004
                                • Off The Back
                                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

For the deceased person, does brain-dead count? If so, I'd choose Sean Hannity, so I could slap that supercilious smirk off his face.

Ahem ...

I've been thinking about this since yesterday, and it really IS tough, especially for the live person. Most political types wouldn't interest me in the first place; and if they're very famous at all, they're already on record sufficiently that lunching with them might be a complete waste of time. And I'd worry that most Hollyweirders would either be as pompous or as vapid in real life as I suspect them to be.

For the deceased person, I think I'll go with Charles Lindbergh, the first of only three people I have ever regarded as a personal hero. Definite honorary mention to Jefferson, though ... it'd be interesting to know what he thought of some of the thorny Constitutional issues confronting our modern society that he and the other founding fathers were unable to foresee.

And for the live person ... what the heck, I'll go with David Marks. If I'm going to have lunch with someone, I might as well try to get something out of it that I can actually use, in my shop.
                                Last edited by LarryG; 05-04-2007, 12:50 PM. Reason: Stupid keyboard left out a word.
                                Larry

Comment

Working...