• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

changing mower blades

Okay, so I finally got around to dropping the deck on my mower so I could change the blades. Problem, I can't get the nuts loose to get the blades off. Is there like some super secret password that I have to whisper to them to get the to release?

I need to get this done this weekend since I'll have to mow again next weekend.

What am I doing wrong here. I tried holding the blade while using a large socket wrench. No good.

I also tried sticking a metal rod through a hole in the blade and using the socket wrench. No good.

I've had them soaking in wd-40 for the last day or so, but haven't tried since I sprayed them.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

Try jamming a 2x4 in the deck to keep the blade from rotating. You can use a c-clamp to hold it in place. This is a great place for an air impact wrench but if you don't have one, you can go after it with a breaker bar and about a 3' cheater bar. The extra length makes a huge difference.
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• SteveJ
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006

a breaker bar will should do it. put your wrench on the nut, then the breaker bar (a 4ft iron pipe will probably work) on the wrench handle. this will give you the leverage you need to turn the nut. also, as was mentioned, use something to prevent the blade from turning.

you might also make sure the nut isn't reverse threaded. I doubt it, but you never know.

Steve

Comment

• Thom2
        Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
        • Jan 2003
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by SteveJ
        you might also make sure the nut isn't reverse threaded. I doubt it, but you never know.
        This would be my first bit of advice ... after that it'd be 'persuasion'
        If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
        **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

It would make sense to me the the bolt would go in the opposite direction of the blade rotation but I've yet to change a blade.

Dont forget to pull the spark plug mate
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• rja
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
            • BT3100-1

A little bit of anti-seize on the threads should make it easier to disassemble in the future.

Comment

• newood2
              • Aug 2004
              • Brooklyn, NY.
              • BT3100-1

Drain the gas completely and apply some heat to the bolt area using a blow torch, then a couple taps down on the bolt head with a hammer. If that doesn't work, try calling the manufacturer technical dept., maybe you'll get some help there.

Howie

Comment

• frumper64
                Established Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Garland, Tx, USA.

You might try some PB Blaster instead of WD40 if you can come across it. The stuff is truly amazing in helping get really stubborn things apart. I know that around my area, you can get it in Autozone or NAPA.
                Jim
                64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• jking
                  • May 2003
                  • Des Moines, IA.
                  • BT3100

First I'd make sure you're trying to turn the right direction. Then, I'd go with the cheater pipe/breaker bar. +1 on the 2x4 jammed in the deck to hold the blade. I'd be careful if you opt to go with the blowtorch. If you've been soaking everything with WD-40, you could have a bit of excitement.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

An excuse to go to the blue borg

Lowes has an item by Arnold, a Blade Buster. Locally it was around $15 and the best $15 I ever spent on a mower accessory. It clamps down on the blade, and then you pull out your breaker bar (NOT A RATCHET). It's made everyone I've tried SOOOOOO much easier, I've only needed a come along (pipe) on one since then.

It's cheaper now:
                    Arnold Blade Buster Item #: 188341 Model: BB-100 $9.98
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ejs1097
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Sounds like a job for BP blaster we recently discussed. I've always clamped a 2x4 with a clamp like previously mentioned.

And of course, by pulling the spark plug, remove the plug, just don't pull the wire off. Turning the blade can create compression and spin it back around if the wire is just pulled.
                      Eric
                      Be Kind Online

Comment

• newood2
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Brooklyn, NY.
                        • BT3100-1

jking
                        "I'd be careful if you opt to go with the blowtorch. If you've been soaking everything with WD-40, you could have a bit of excitement"

I'm assuming he's not soaking everything with WD-40, just the bolt area, and once WD-40 is dried it shouldn't pose that much danger.
                        A small torch with a half-inch flame can easily be directed to the bolt without heating a wider area. And of course all cautions should be taken.
                        I've been there done that.
                        Howie

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                          • One of them there Toy saws

no need in pulling the plug, I dropped the deck off the mower (this is a rider guys) so it's totally detached from the motor.

I'll try the 2x4 and breaker bar when I get home. Hopefully that will do the trick.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Weir, Ks, USA.
                            • BT3000

I have gone so far as to use a pipewrench on the pulley, as the blade would slip and the nut still not come loose. I have also had to remove one nut with a hammer and chisel. I hate changing blades!

Bill
                            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Hellrazor
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Abyss, PA
                              • Ridgid R4512

A block of wood to wedge the blade and a 1/2" or better socket or breaker bar.

OR

Buy a cheap impact wrench....

Comment

Working...