• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna
    • Feb 2006
    • CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Meet the three-wheeled wooden car

900 lbs, has a top speed of 101 mph, made entirely out of wood. The builder, a furniture-maker, took more than 2000 hours to finish it.

I wonder how many airbags are included.
    Attached Files
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I've seen that car before, and it's incredible. How unique that his name is Friend Wood. He should reverse the names to Wood Friend. Really a beautiful job, and check out the gas mileage. I wonder if it floats?

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Does Jay Leno know about this? He apparently has to own every unique car ever made.

That is a wonderful car, by the way. But the front wheel doesn't do it justice. Looks too pedestrian.

Comment

• Anna
        • Feb 2006
        • CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I thought it looks great, too. I think it's one of the ultimate expressions of woodworking as an artform.

I wonder if anyone here will take on the challenge of building an American version. Not that I'll dare to drive one on our roads. Too many SUV-riding maniac drivers in my neck of the woods.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Nice looking automobile for sure, nice personal project. You might notice the old Morgan in the background. I believe those were made in the 30's. Morgan had a 4-wheeler that was imported right through most of 60's too, as I recall. It wasn't all wood, but the chassis/frame and much of the interior was wood as I recall. When the U.S. started getting tight with it's safety campaign in the early 70's, Morgan imports were not allowed. Quick way to spot a Morgan in the 50's and 60's was the leather strap that belted over the front hood, and held it in place.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

That is really unique. I don't believe I would try 101 mph in it though.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by Anna
              900 lbs, has a top speed of 101 mph, made entirely out of wood. The builder, a furniture-maker, took more than 2000 hours to finish it.

I wonder how many airbags are included.

ALL WOOD, EH? So does he change his Murphy's Oil every 3000 miles?
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

Originally posted by Anna
                ...I wonder how many airbags are included.
                If they are made of wood also, I think I'll take my chances without the use of an airbag in a crash.
                Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...