• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Archers opinions wanted.

Used to be a very active archer (hunting, 3D outdoor shoots, spot leagues, part-owner of an archery range in Colorado Springs, etc) but have been away from it since about 1993.

Was invited to a local 3D fun shoot last weekend and had one heck of a good time and am now looking at getting back into archery.

I used my existing equipment which I didn't think was all that bad -- until I saw some of the new stuff other archers were using. One of the things that caught my attention was that almost all of the new bows are adjustable to 65-80% let off. With my aging shoulder joints -- that sure looked like a nice option.

Stopped by a local archery shop yesterday and put a new Bowtech TomKat on lay-away (heh -- like it's gonna stay there for very long ), but I declined on the 'package' deal, thinking 'what the heck' I have almost everything else.

Then I started looking around the web and there sure is a lot of new stuff available. I'd like to hear from some of you fellow archers on your opinions for selection of sights, arrow rests, shafts, releases, etc.

Most of my accessories will be moved over to the new bow, but upgrading is always an option. I did get a new fiber sight to put on my older bow as my existing sights were just a bit harder to see than I remembered 14 years ago... (I had both my hunting and target bows with me when I went to the shop -- had to grin when one of the employees walked by them and made a comment to the effect of "now there's some older stuff")

There will really be only two uses for this equipment, either hunting or shooting some of the weekend 3D local shoots in preparation for hunting. I don't have any plans on getting back into spot shooting at this time.

For the traditionalists... those of you that shoot barebow/instinctive -- you have my utmost respect, but I'm just not in that camp. I am a sight/release shooter and highly doubt that I'll be converted.

So anyway, any comments on what works or doesn't work for you (and possibly some descriptions on why) would be greatly appreciated.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com
  • thestinker
    • Oct 2005
    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

They do have some neat stuff out now. I have always used a recurve / instincitve shooting, but would love to get some new equipment to use. But I also want a new TV, a second jet ski, more tools, a bigger shop....the list goes on and on.
    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by thestinker
      They do have some neat stuff out now. I have always used a recurve / instincitve shooting, but would love to get some new equipment to use. But I also want a new TV, a second jet ski, more tools, a bigger shop....the list goes on and on.
      heh, I can relate to that list.... (all too well)

But with my current work situation, starting to shoot again will get me out of the shop at least every once in a while.

Comment

• Hoakie
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Iowa
        • Craftsman 21829

My guess it is like any other hobby, vendors will always make improvements in technology, be it new materials or just a new widget. Here was my recent experience in reentering an old hobby.

I recently started playing hockey again @ 36 after 14 years off. Most of my equipment was from the late 80's so, obviously, there had been a ton of improvements, reduction in weight etc. since then. I went out with my old stuff a few times, had to replace the pants etc (believe it or not, they were a bit tight in the waist....when I pulled them up just past the KNEES!! ).
        Anyway.. Over the course of the season, I gradually replaced old stuff with new as I needed/ could afford.

To make a long story short, do what you are doing, hang out with your old stuff, maybe buy one new gadget, and see what new stuff would really be useful vs. a fad.

Rediscovering past loves are great. Just don't let the wife catch ya!
        John
        To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• BrazosJake
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Benbrook, TX.
          • Emerson-built Craftsman

I'm no archer, but used to shoot rifles, pistols, shotgun competitively and hunted quite a bit.

Since getting into woodworking, I've found a LOT of fun(?) making primitive bows.

Comment

• Stan
            • Mar 2004
            • Kalispell, MT, USA.
            • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Thanks for the insights guys (well noted)

What I'm really looking for is something to the effect...

"I have this (item here -- release, arrow rest, sight, etc) model #, that I do (or don't) like, for these reasons."

Thanks much.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Been a bow hunter for 15+ years ...

I too have what the new guys would call OLD equipment ... and have been leaning towards the shorter (MUCH SHORTER!!!) greater let-off bows ... just haven't made the leap ... one thing I did adapt to a few years ago that I do recommend (at least for hunting) is the "no-peep" by Timberline. Basically it replaces the peep in the string and (for me at least) provides a very consistent anchor point and allows me to shoot in lower light because I am not constrained by the small peep sight in the string.

I also adopted carbon arrows right after they came out because I wanted as flat a trajectory as I could achieve due to my rather poor distance estimation and of course overdraw for the same reason.

And that's my 2 cents ... probably more like 1/2 cent ...

Bade
              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas
              => Bade's Personal Web Log
              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Stan
                • Mar 2004
                • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Now that 'no-peep' sounds like an interesting concept. It sounds like it may also help deal with my issue of being right-handed -- but left-eye dominant.

Probably not something I'll try right away, but definitely before hunting season this fall -- thanks for that tip.

As for carbons, I shot those for a short time when they first came out and didn't like the results. I'm sure they have improved a lot since then, guess I'll try some out when I run out of my stock of aluminum shafts (and that may be a while).

Again, thanks for the tip.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Stan

This will probably date me, but when I was a teen at summer camp, the fiberglass bow came out, I think it was something like 60lb or 80lb. We had been using the wood ones up to that point. The advanced kids (the ones that could hit a target) got to use the glass ones.

I look at some of the new designs, and cripes almighty, how easy do they want to make it. I mean really, cables, pulleys, wheels, sights, no telling what next. A long way from a tree branch with a vine stretched across.

Comment

• PALefty
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Stan
                    So anyway, any comments on what works or doesn't work for you (and possibly some descriptions on why) would be greatly appreciated.
                    I got back into bowhunting a few years ago.. and while I didn't try a zillion different things on the market.. these are some that work for me.

Broadheads:
                    I have been using a brand that in the last few years is just starting to get picked up by some stores... called Slick Trick. The person who makes these is starting to make a name for himself and I ahve been very happy with the results. I also tried Steel Force Venum this year and thought they were pretty good.

Arrows
                    I have only used carbons.. by Vitalbowgear and Gold Tip. Early on, I broke many of the VBG pretty easily and would not buy them again. I have been pleased with the Gold Tip so far. I may try some Carbon Tech's in the future.. but have no real reason to change other than the Gold Tips are quite expensive.

Rests
                    Whisker Buiscut- I great hunting containment rest. Great for hunters.. esp those who hunt out of a tree stand. Also great for beginners who don't want to be concerned w/ the arrow falling off the rest.
                    Drop Zone- A great drop away rest that I am very happy with. I have been using this for a few years and have no intention of changing it any time soon.

Sights
                    Lots of good ones to choose from here... from Spot Hogg and Trophy Taker to name a few companies. There are also a lot of different types to choose from.. from a single pin, multile pins, vertical pin, side pin, moveable pin, etc etc. I have been using a single moveable pin by VitalBowGear (Star Trec). I like it for 3D and target because you can change your setting very easily. It is also very bright. I would rather not adjust my pin during hunting situations though. If I were to buy a new sight today, I would look for one w/ 3rd axis adjustments. For a very bright 'no frills' sight, I like the Impact Archery line.

Releases
                    Scott Releases (http://www.scottarchery.com) . I love them. They have great smooth 'hair-pin' triggers.. yet built very strong. Simple and effective. My favorite is the 'Litttle Bitty Goose', but this year I am trying one that gives you a little more back in terms of 'perceived' draw length called Wildcat. I like the slim trigger of the LBG better, so it is a trade off. I also like leather/buckle straps which tend to be quieter in the woods. I favor a full solid release (if you can call it that) over one with a strap/rope. I think they make it easier to pull back my string.

Peeps.
                    I have been using one from VitalBowGear that actually screws onto the string. I don't hate it.. but I don't love it either. I like that I can adjust it up/down at will.. without having to do major surgury on my string. I don't really like that the hole is to the side of the string. Works fine though. I have been thinking of trying the No Peep myself.

Strings:
                    My Mathews bow had the crappiest stock strings ever.. Zebra. They would stretch until the end of time. Had I known better, I would have replace them before I took the bow home. I ended up getting some custom made ones from a local guy.. but there are a number of after market strings that have a good following. If your string never settles down.. you may want to consider this route.

Misc:
                    STS (http://www.stsarchery.com/) - A great add on string suppressor that reduces noise and vibration. It also helps for a consistant release of the arrow from the string. A great low-cost add on.

There are a number of forums out there which have a lot of good info. Archerytalk.com is one that I like a lot. Since you have a Bowtech, you may want to check their website.. they might have one as well.

Comment

• jon_ramp
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • western Chicago burb
                      • Craftsman 21829

I too, have very old equipment (1980 Brown Bear and an even older Super Kodiak recurve). I recently test drove a Mathews Switchback with a Whisker Biscuit rest. Not sure what brand of bow I'll eventually buy, but I really liked the Whisker Biscuit rest, specifically for hunting. If you're target shooting and trying to drive the 2nd arrow through the nock of your first shot it's not a rest for you.

I'm still a finger shooter and prefer a tab rather than the glove. I've experimented with a few releases and liked the TRU Ball Sweet Spot the best of those I tried. If I shot targets more often I'd consider buying one.

Have never used a peep sight, but I too have considered the "no peep" just as another means of keeping my head, anchor point and bow hold consistent.

Comment

Working...