• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A Very HOT Tip!!!

There's been a lot of discussion concerning shop safety and how to protect ourselves. There really hasn't been too much discussion about fire extinguishers. I can't emphasize enough the value of having one close by. I've always kept one in or near the kitchen and garage area, and many in the shop. Knowing how to use one and which ones are for what type of fires is important. I've had a few fires and in a shop area, especially a wood shop, a fire can get rampant in a hurry. Here's a short description of the types.

Fire Extinguisher Ratings

Class A Extinguishers will put out fires in ordinary combustibles, such as wood and paper. The numerical rating for this class of fire extinguisher refers to the amount of water the fire extinguisher holds and the amount of fire it will extinguish.

Class B Extinguishers should be used on fires involving flammable liquids, such as grease, gasoline, oil, etc. The numerical rating for this class of fire extinguisher states the approximate number of square feet of a flammable liquid fire that a non-expert person can expect to extinguish.

Class C Extinguishers are suitable for use on electrically energized fires. This class of fire extinguishers does not have a numerical rating. The presence of the letter “C” indicates that the extinguishing agent is non-conductive.

Class D Extinguishers are designed for use on flammable metals and are often specific for the type of metal in question. There is no picture designator for Class D extinguishers. These extinguishers generally have no rating nor are they given a multi-purpose rating for use on other types of fires.

For more details:
    http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Good reminder. I only have one - guess I should get at least one other - to have at opposite ends of the shed.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Hoakie
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Iowa
      • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the post and remember, fire extinguishers don't last forever. If you do have them, make sure they are charged.
      John
      To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Hoakie
        Thanks for the post and remember, fire extinguishers don't last forever. If you do have them, make sure they are charged.
        What's that? How do they 'charge'?
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Charging = refilled. Some extinguishers are refillable (rechargeable). Some aren't.
          Good reminder. Thanks.
          Lee

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

Graet reminder. We get traing every two years at work on how to use an extinguisher.

P. A. S. S.

Pull the Pin at the top of the extinguisher. The pin releases a locking mechanism and will allow you to discharge the extinguisher.

Aim at the base of the fire, not the flames. This is important - in order to put out the fire, you must extinguish the fuel.

Squeeze the lever slowly. This will release the extinguishing agent in the extinguisher. If the handle is released, the discharge will stop.

Sweep from side to side. Using a sweeping motion, move the fire extinguisher back and forth until the fire is completely out. Operate the extinguisher from a safe distance, several feet away, and then move towards the fire once it starts to diminish. Be sure to read the instructions on your fire extinguisher - different fire extinguishers recommend operating them from different distances. Remember: Aim at the base of the fire, not at the flames!!!!

Two things that I will add. 1) When you think the fire is out, walk backwards from the area(as much as you can) in case the fire reignites, and 2) turn your extinguisher upside down and give it a shake every now and then to stop the chemicals from settling.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• mschrank
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2004
              • Hood River, OR, USA.
              • BT3000

Originally posted by Hoakie
              I've also heard it doesn't hurt to give the ABC type a good shaking now and then. Otherwise, the chemical tends to get compacted in the bottom...shaking loosens it up.

I checked mine last week and found it took a good bit of shaking and smacking the bottom before I could feel the chemical moving around.
              Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• ejs1097
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Good reminder. I have one in the kitchen, Master bedroom, basement (including shop area) and garage. I try to keep them handy and keep them in the same place so you instinctively know where it is.
                Eric
                Be Kind Online

Comment

• sacherjj
                  Not Your Average Joe
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

I went ahead and purchased the metal valve style with black rubber hose. I've heard issues with the cheaper plastic style failing in emergency. I don't know how much was due to extreme old age. When we are only talking about $35-50, it isn't a real problem.

Ron, you probably have a good idea about having two. What would happen if the fire is between you and the extinguisher? Not a bad idea.
                  Joe Sacher

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Given the wide range of extinguisher prices what is the price bracket which give the best protection for the dollar spent? Yea, I understand the value of my home, my shop and my family but I also know that the dealers I was once familiar with had a sales system that jacked prices through the roof. Kind of like spending $1500 on a vacuum cleaner. Yea, it's good but is it *that* good??

TIA,
                    Chiz
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

You may be able to get a good deal on used fire extinguishers from a recharge place.

About 2 years ago, I took a few fire extinguishers to get recharged. Two of these fire extinguishers were 15+ years old and no good any more - the owner of the recharge place GAVE me 2 commercial fire extinguishers that were 2+ times the size of the bad units (I did pay to recharge them). He does the fire safety supply for a lot of local industrial facilities and said that several of these places choose to get brand new extinguishers every couple of years rather than recharging the existing units. He swaps these out for bad units when people bring them to him.

Anyway, I hope that you can find a good deal like this from your fire extinguisher recharge guy if you're in need of a fire extinguisher.
                      Bill

Comment

Working...