• Show
Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Am I getting stupider?

A few nights ago at dinner one of my kids stumped me. He said that peas were a fruit. I laughed and said, of course they're not a fruit, they're a vegetable. Whereupon both my 15 and 17-year-old sons proceeded to lecture me on the definition of a fruit.

Bottom line: a pea is a fruit, which is the ripened ovary and seeds of a flowering plant. Peas, cucumbers, even legumes are fruits. A fig is not a fruit, although for culinary purposes it is considered such.

It's official. I am stupider than my kids. I have forgotten everything I ever knew about calculus and most of trigonometry. I can't diagram an English sentence. I can't list the Bill of Rights or even all of the 10 commandments (did they slip another in while I wasn't looking? what does it mean to "covet"?)

On the other hand, I can list all the bands that Eric Clapton has ever been in. I know the difference between a pale ale and a weissbier. I know what a haunched mortice and tenon is. And I know the difference between the terms "skinny" and "svelte", and "fat" and "voluptuous".

So maybe I'm not ready for the Alzheimer's ward just yet...
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Jeff

Please cancel my appointment for a physical.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I wouldn't have given up so easily. While I think it is technically correct that more things we consider vegtables are in fact fruits, my answer would have gone something like this:

"Shut up about peas being fruit unless you want to find them in all the future fruit salads served in this house."

But yes, I've forgotten a lot of important stuff, too. And yes, my kids bash me over the head with this fact quite often.

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

tell your kids they are wrong. They have to read all the definitions not just one or two.

From Dictionary.com
        Fruit
        1. any product of plant growth useful to humans or animals.
        2. the developed ovary of a seed plant with its contents and accessory parts, as the pea pod, nut, tomato, or pineapple.
        3. the edible part of a plant developed from a flower, with any accessory tissues, as the peach, mulberry, or banana.
        4. the spores and accessory organs of ferns, mosses, fungi, algae, or lichen.

So according to this, Figs ARE fruit. Mushrooms are also, yet no flower.

Secondly, some info about figs that prove they are in fact fruit.

Flowers: The tiny flowers of the fig are out of sight, clustered inside the green "fruits", technically a synconium. Pollinating insects gain access to the flowers through an opening at the apex of the synconium. In the case of the common fig the flowers are all female and need no pollination. There are 3 other types, the caprifig which has male and female flowers requiring visits by a tiny wasp, Blastophaga grossorum; the Smyrna fig, needing cross-pollination by caprifigs in order to develop normally; and the San Pedro fig which is intermediate, its first crop independent like the common fig, its second crop dependent on pollination.

Fruits: The common fig bears a first crop, called the breba crop, in the spring on last season's growth. The second crop is borne in the fall on the new growth and is known as the main crop. In cold climates the breba crop is often destroyed by spring frosts. The matured "fruit" has a tough peel (pure green, green suffused with brown, brown or purple), often cracking upon ripeness, and exposing the pulp beneath. The interior is a white inner rind containing a seed mass bound with jelly-like flesh. The edible seeds are numerous and generally hollow, unless pollinated. Pollinated seeds provide the characteristic nutty taste of dried figs.
        Last edited by Russianwolf; 04-17-2007, 08:44 AM.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Just as history is often greatly "revised" for special reasons, Science has take the fruits and vegitables that I grew up with (and probably many of you) and revised them to fit their definition.

Which came first - our fruits and vegitables or thier definitions? I can tell you that it is our fruits and vegitables. I have some OLD encyclopedias that disagree with the current definitions, therefore current definitions are revisionist! At least that makes me feel better.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jziegler
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Salem, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Does it really matter if something is a fruit or a vegetable? The current dietary guidelines seem to group them together anyway. Both are good for you. The nutritional value of a pea is the same if it is a fruit or a vegetable.

It's all arbitrary anyway.

Jim

Comment

• parnelli
              • Aug 2004
              • bt3100

Originally posted by germdoc
              I know the difference between a pale ale and a weissbier. I know what a haunched mortice and tenon is. And I know the difference between the terms "skinny" and "svelte", and "fat" and "voluptuous".
              So what you're saying is that you know the important stuff....

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Originally posted by cgallery
                I wouldn't have given up so easily. While I think it is technically correct that more things we consider vegtables are in fact fruits, my answer would have gone something like this:

"Shut up about peas being fruit unless you want to find them in all the future fruit salads served in this house."

But yes, I've forgotten a lot of important stuff, too. And yes, my kids bash me over the head with this fact quite often.

Have them prove it! They need to clean out the garage, and find that fruitcake that has been going around for a while, then sharpen up some tools to cut into it.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

AS to being stupider - I learned real quick to not give reasons for my decisions. My girls could out logic me so fast that I didn't know what hit me. So I just started saying "Cause I said so."

They hated that! It didn't give them anything to argue against! No logic, just pure will and I had more than they did!

My oldest with 5 kids has finally learned the value of "Cause I said so." She said she might be stupid but she ain't dumb!
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Deadhead
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
                    • BT3100

Look on the bright side....every 10 years or so your SAT scores are adjusted up.
                    "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• jrnewhall
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2005
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • Ryobi 3100

I asked my neighbor/middle school science teacher how this works and why it's confusing. Her explanation is that it is a trick question. They're all vegetable as opposed to animal and mineral. The parts of vegetables we eat are leaves (spinach, lettuce), stems (celery, asparagus), seeds (peas, beans), roots (carrots, potatoes), and fruits (cucumbers, pea pods, apples). We just call most of them vegetables except for the sweet fruits we call fruit.

Now a trivia question for you to regain your knowledge dominance - What is the only fruit that has its seeds on the outside? (maybe it's too easy - answer below)

Strawberry

~JRN

Comment

• TheRic
                        • Jun 2004
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

So if I eat Green Beans I'm eating a fruit, but if I open the Green beans and eat the seeds inside I'm eating a vegetable?!!?

OR in other words

The Green Bean is a fruit that contains a vegetable?!!?
                        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• jrnewhall
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2005
                          • Rochester, NY.
                          • Ryobi 3100

All fruits contain seeds, except the strawberry. And, all fruits and all seeds are vegetables.

~JRN

Comment

• scmhogg
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                            • BT3000

Jeff,

It's simple--Fruits are sweet and good, Vegetables are green and yucky.

From your list it seems to me that you are remembering the important stuff. Who needs rights and commandments.

Steve
                            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Russianwolf
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                              • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by jrnewhall
                              I asked my neighbor/middle school science teacher how this works and why it's confusing. Her explanation is that it is a trick question. They're all vegetable as opposed to animal and mineral. The parts of vegetables we eat are leaves (spinach, lettuce), stems (celery, asparagus), seeds (peas, beans), roots (carrots, potatoes), and fruits (cucumbers, pea pods, apples). We just call most of them vegetables except for the sweet fruits we call fruit.

Now a trivia question for you to regain your knowledge dominance - What is the only fruit that has its seeds on the outside? (maybe it's too easy - answer below)

Strawberry

~JRN
                              Maybe not. According to this the "seeds" are actually the fruit and the "berry" is part of the stem.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...7053.Bt.r.html
                              Mike
                              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...