• Show
Clear All
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

Boy Scouts

I have the chance to talk to a group of about 150 scouts of different ages at a mini-jamboree in June. A chance encounter with a scout master and talk of my R/C helocopters has lead to this invitation.
    I'll have the oppertunity to talk a little about the theory of flight, show the boys my helos, radio and support equipment. The scout master said I could help the older scouts get a merit badge in aviation and younger scouts can get some type of award too. If the weather co-operates, I might even be able to give them a little flight demo. I'm hoping I'll be able to get my friend John involved too as he could put on an even better demo!
    I'm really looking forward to this opportunity to share my love of the hobby with the boys.

I welcome any suggestions you all might have to help make this a good day for every one!
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Your talk can't miss being a hit. They will love it. You have to give a flight demo. But, you may get some parents upset when they find out how much the hobby costs. Don't forget to mention woodworking!!!

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Try to see things through a boys eyes. What is interesting to adults is not always interesting to kids.
      Last edited by Black wallnut; 04-17-2007, 10:03 AM.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Larry

I just saw this on TV today. It's a RC helicopter that can be used indoors. Are you familiar with it?
        https://www.spinmaster.com/product.p...16219&s=reflex

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by lrogers
          I welcome any suggestions you all might have to help make this a good day for every one!
          Your topic will generate great interest. Just be sure to keep the presentation interactive, and not a lecture. Ask questions, solicit answers / guesses.

Comment

• p8ntblr
            • Jan 2007
            • So Cal
            • Craftsman 22114

A little off topic but I've always been interested in RC Helicopters. I'm curious how long did it take you to learn to fly it comfortably? Did you take any lessons or self taught?

And for suggestions on presenting the topic. If you're not able to fly then at least have tons of pictures of different models the kids can take a look at and pass around. As Slik Geek suggested make sure to keep it fun and not too technical.
            Last edited by p8ntblr; 04-17-2007, 06:13 PM.
            -Paul

Comment

• lrogers
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mobile, AL. USA.
              • BT3000

Cabinetman,
              I've seen that one on TV, but haven't tried it. I did get to play with the AIR HOG that they advertize. Fun and tuff, but not a lot of capability. Those little ones are pretty much strictly in-door helos. I'm thinking about getting an Air Hog to mess with the cat (when LOML isn't home)!

p8ntblr,
              By comfortably, do you mean when did my knees stop shaking? If that's the case, I'm not there yet! I shook like a leaf a couple weeks ago when I took my new Hawk up (yep, I got another one!). This was the first time I acted as my own test pilot and it was the first time I flew in front of a bunch of people (just joined the local club).

Actually, it is getting easier to learn how to fly helos and planes thanks to the new generation of flight simulators. I worked on the sim about an 1 hour a day for about 4 months before I tried my first flight. Some experienced pilots now recommmend about 50 hours of sim time. I then found a local pilot to inspect my helo and he found somethings I needed to change. He said it would have flown like I had it, but the changes would make it fly better. He then met me at a school yard, inspected it again and then did the first couple of test/trim flights. He said it would help my confidence level if I saw that my helo would actually fly. He was right. He then stood behind and "coached" me through that first flight. That was about 10 minutes of the most intense concentration in my life. With all the sim time, it wasn't bad.
              My biggest problem has been life and weather getting in the way of regular flying.
              Todays generation of radios also help a "newbie". The radios can be hooked together (called buddy-boxing)so that an instructor has one radio and the student the other. The "master" radio can be configured to give the student full control or only control of certain functions. The instructor can hold a spring loaded switch and that gives the student control and can release the switch to to take control back if the student gets into trouble.

Building and flying helos is difficult. Experienced help is definity recommended. The hobby is a lot of fun. I now have three helos's, all nitro birds.
              1. My Hawk Pro - powered by an OS 37 engine
              2. My Sceadu Evo 50 (my first one) power by an OS 50 Hyper
              3. My Freya - powered by an OS 70

The Evo has just been rebuilt (by design, not crash) and upgraded. After it is test flown, it will be turned into a scale Hughes 500 D.

Sorry I rambled on so, I do like to talk about my "babies" Click on the link under my tag line (the one to rchelopilot) to check out my heol "blog" and photo album. If you, or anyone else wants more info, just drop me an e-mail or PM and I'll try to answer your questions.
              Larry R. Rogers
              The Samurai Wood Butcher

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

If you crash one or two, that'll keep their interest.

On a more serious note, keep in mind that younger Scouts will want to chase/run after the helo when it lands. Remind them of the whirling blades....

Have fun!

I wanted to get into RC helos, but LOML tells me that one expensive hobby is enough!

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• lrogers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mobile, AL. USA.
                  • BT3000

Believe me, safety will be VERY HIGHLY stressed. The helos are fun, but they are not toys and they can do serious harm.

Your wife is right, it can be one expensive hobby. Of course, anything that has the word "hobby" associated with it is expensive!
                  Larry R. Rogers
                  The Samurai Wood Butcher

Comment

• TheRic
                    • Jun 2004
                    • West Central Ohio
                    • bt3100

IF you can't fly it outside demonstrate it inside. Tether the thing down (for safety), and fire it up. The kids will love it. If you got the room let the tether be longer.

If you can show them things moving / adjusting (with out the main blades spinning) that would be cool. Seeing things move, and having control of it, will keep their interest. Maybe have one of them move a joy stick back and forth to control some minor thing.

Just thinking out loud, not sure if any of it is even possible. I know nothing about them other than what I have seen on TV.

I'm sure you will do a great job!! Let us know how it went.
                    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

Tethering helo bad JUJU! There are some smaller electrics that you can do that with, but not the nitro birds. Also, the fuel used, oil content etc., everyone would be driven out in seconds.

I'll be working with different age kids and of course, I want to go into more depth with the older guys. I also plan to show them all the support gear and how it's used.

I hope I have the scale bird done by that time. I really think they will like that, especially when I turn the navigation/landing/anti-collision lights on.

Not sure how long I'll have with each group, that's a detail that's still to be ironed out. I really hope John is able to come out and do the flight demo. He is GOOD and can trun a helo every-which-way-but-loose!

Keep the ideas coming, I appreciate your suggestions and support.
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher

Comment

• TheRic
                        • Jun 2004
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

Now that you mention it, BAD idea, must not have had brain in gear. Wasn't thinking at all about a gas / nitro powered one. I can imagine it would be like starting a chainsaw inside.

Anyways something visual / movement will keep their attention. Standing in one spot lecturing, you will lose them quick. Walking around, maybe with one in hand ( no clue how heavy they are), will help keep them focused.
                        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

I'm hoping that I will be able to get them all up close and personal with the birds. If the groups are small enough, I'll take the canopy off and let see the "guts" and how they work. I was also thinking of hooking one up in my harness/transmitter tray/transmitter so they can also see what all the switches do.

As for weight, that ranges from about 6 pounds to about 10 pounds dry.
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher

Comment

Working...