• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Anybody else keep roses?

First spring after we moved in I planted a few new roses and rescued/transplanted 2 that were here. I also got some for free on their last legs in exchange for some azaleas We had way too many azaleas. Saved 5 of 8 bushes which surprised me. I mostly ignored them last summer but am working a lot with them again this year. Seems to be having an effect - a blosssom opened today on one bush and lots of buds on the others.

Anway, here is the recipe I use from a good local rose place. My tweaks are I alternate Orthenex Rose Pride (fungicide and insecticide) and the Halt every other week. My totally untested theory is the fungii can't build a resistance to one or the other if I rotate them. Plus the Orthenex is available at homecenters. I do not use the Orthene. During Japanese beetle season I will switch out the Orthenex for the Halt and add in liquid Seven.

1 gallon water
    5 teaspoons Captan 50%
    2 ½ teaspoons Halt - brand I use is Ferilome
    1 ½ teaspoons Acephate/Orthene
    ½ teaspoon Spreader Sticker
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

David,

Thanks for posting that. I have lots of roses, LOML wanted a rose garden. We had lots of trouble with blackspot last year, did some preventatives this spring (new mulch, dormant oil spray). I'll certainly keep this in mind if I have trouble again this year. I just hate to use chemicals if it isn't absolutely necessary. I've been trying some of the natural soultions, and they seem to help. Dr. Bronnner's magic soap sprays work great for the aphids, helps a bit on the fungus. I've read about baking soda sprays for blackspot, but never got to trying it.

No blooms here, but I'd expect that. Little different in NC than in NJ. BUt so far, everything looks pretty healthy.

Jim

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Jim, I had some awful problems with blackspot last year (mostly because of neglect). I've only seen 1 or 2 leaves with it this year using this spray. The only thing to remember is you have to mix a fresh batch each week. After you mix it it is only good for 24hrs. I will start fertilizing in the next week or two.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

LOML has a nice flower garden, but she doesn't use any chemicals. I don't think she's had problems with black spot on roses. If she did, it was minor.

We've also had a veggie garden for probably 25 years or so, and we don't use chemicals on that either. Now I'm gettin' hungry. Can't wait for the fresh tomatoes!

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dlminehart
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • San Jose, CA, USA.

We've got a rose bush in our front yard that thrives on neglect. Beautiful rich red roses, with luscious aroma. It blooms a few times a year, and I cut the flowers and prune it back some. It gets a little water when the adjoining yard is watered, and a little Miracle Gro when I remember to douse the yard. Just keeps on truckin'!
          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• jziegler
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Salem, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

OK, so for that of you who have troublefree roses, are you in a relatively dry climate? NJ can be humid, and I beleive that much of NC is humid as well. I've read that blackspot and other fungal diseases are made worse by humidity.

If I can just get the mosquitos under control, LOML will spend more time out in the yard tending to the roses, and that will make the problems better. I hope the bat house will help (installing it this coming weekend).

Jim

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

NC is very humid, esp. during the summer. Black spot and other fungii are worse in humidity. I expect the blackspot to get worse when it gets hot. Hopefully I can kill most of it by then. Some more tips: When you water, keep the water from splashing on the leaves. Use a soaker hose or simliar. Remove any infected leaves and try to avoid touching the healthy ones. Pick up any leaves that have fallen - water can splash the fungus back up onto the plant. If the blackspot is really bad, replace the mulch around the plant, the spores can get into the mulch. Don't spray when the temps are above 85 or will be before the spray dries. This can burn the leaves.
              David

Comment

• Garasaki
                • Sep 2006

I have some roses that have been in my family for nearly 50 years. They really enjoy lots of water, and don't suffer from blackspot, but there is some sort of larve/caterpillar/bug that tears them up pretty good. I haven't really figured out a way to keep those away.

Most roses seem to require a lot of attention. But the good news is that you can admire them while you are giving them that attention.

A local nursery always has pretty nice plants for sale for 5 bucks each at the end of the season. I'm always saying I'm gonna get some but never do....maybe this year...
                -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                -Henry Blake

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the added tips David.

I've already been working on some of those, and a few others. I have soaker hoses permanently buried under the mulch around the roses. I did a big soaker hose/drip irrigation project last summer. New mulch around all of the roses just a few weeks ago. I also trimmed back all of the roses that had the worst problems last year, a couple of them almost to the ground. I have read that the canes can have spores winter over on them. I've even heard of some gardeners trimming back all of their roses each year, but that's not so good for the varieties that bloom on the previous years growth.

LOML wouldn't mind giving the roses her attention if there weren't so many mosquitoes around. Last year, she would go out for 15 minutes in the middle of the day and come back in with a dozen bites.

Jim

Comment

Working...