• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

All I could do was laugh

I don't like painting. The last few days I primed and painted the hall. Paneling, so it has lines that a roller won't get to. By the time I brushed the lines, not worth having to clean a roller so.... There are 5 doors in the hall, so door jambs and casing plus crown and baseboard means lots of trim too. Ran the walls the last 2 evenings and spent today painting the trim and doors. Did I mention I don't like painting?

Was downstairs cleaning out the brushes for the last time and I hear my 2yr old say "Daddy can you clean my hands?" I run upstairs and there are hand prints on my freshly painted door, white paint on the wall down the stairs and prints on the wall in the hall. I hadn't even gotten the tape off yet. Oh well. After I looked at it I thought that door needed another coat anyway.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I remember days like that. The only thing worse than painting is plumbing!

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• MilDoc

Well, either leave the prints or take lots of photos. 20 years from now you'll wish for one of the other.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I don't need a small child around to do that. I HATE painting too! I bump, accidentally touch, scratch and smear fresh paint besides getting more on me than I do the walls, whether using a roller or paint bursh. I am not impatient with painting, just clumsy.

And I hate having to mask off areas.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by Ed62
          I remember days like that. The only thing worse than painting is plumbing!

Ed
          There is one worse (for me) - GARDENING - yuk
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I don't have little kids running around, but I do have 2 German Shepherds and three cats that want to know where the smell is coming from. BTW, a dogs tail will spread out wet paint, but not neatly.

My two dislikes equal to a pencil in the eye are plumbing and hanging exterior doors. A true fact: The older you get, the heavier they get.

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Yeasr ago I was painting the hall and was followed by my youngest Son and his Large Blue Felt time marker. He was only 18 months at the time, so couldn't get to mad but it took hours of scrubbing then priming and repainting the wall, which happened to be the longest one with out a door or opening in it.

Tom

Comment

• dlminehart
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • San Jose, CA, USA.

The other day I saw a couple guys painting the exterior of a block-long 3-story commercial building. First story had storefronts, offices, etc. They had to mask everything with 1' brown paper taped on with the usual blue masking tape. Talk about a masking job!

The fun part was the mobile adjustable cherry-picker vehicles they worked from. They each stood on about a 4x8 platform with waist high railing around it, and a control panel at the vehicle end. From there, they could raise and lower, extend and contract, and pivot the boom holding the platform. They could also drive the vehicle supporting the boom forward, backward, and turn it in a tight radius.
                - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...