• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I've never run a red light or a stop sigh, although when I was younger there used to be the interpretation of S-T-O- P as "Slow To Observe Police".

Here in the Corning, NY area there is farl too many people who jump the green ones. So running a red light is a good way to get killed. This is especially true with people making turns, they rarely if ever use turn signals, so you never quite know what they are going to do. It is so prevalent that even the cops don't pay attention any more. When coming home yesterday, I saw a car just turn left, across the oncoming lane on red. No turn signal at all, so if I had gone through the light I'd have been smacked for sure. The sad thing was that there was a Sheriff's patrol car right behind him, and the deputy just ignored it. (Probably because she [the deputy] was talking on her cell phone!)

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 04-16-2007, 12:21 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Red light? Nope. A number of times going under a yellw that likely went red while I was still in the intersection, but I understand that is ok. I said 'yes' cause my my Mom leves in a rather quiet community with 15mph speedlimit, and there is this intersection with REAL good visibility and a stop sign - more to indicate who has the right of way. I ALWAY forget about that stop sign.

Oh and here's a joke. A guy arrives to a southern town, and gets a cab. The cabbie is a headstrong-looking fellow. As the cab cruises down the street, the guy runs a red light at full speed.
      - Hey, you just ran a red light! yells the passenger.
      - No worries, man, I am a pro!!!
      Then he runs another red light.
      - No worries, man, I am a pro!!!
      Then, as they come to a green light, the cabbie slows down, and caaaarefully inches into the intersection.
      - What's the matter, you got a green light? Says passenger.
      - Hey, what is there's another pro over there?

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

I spent a good portion of my younger driving years in Germany. What I learned then still stays with me - drive like a lamb in town, drive like a racer on the highway.

So I obey the speed limit, stop at stop signs, use my signals, watch for dogs and kids, wave people through at crowded intersections. On the highway, I'm in the fast lane lights a-flashin'!

JR
        JR

Comment

• BrazosJake
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Benbrook, TX.
          • Emerson-built Craftsman

I have to wonder how many of these responses are being truly honest.

I obliviously ran a stop sign a few months ago. It was in a construction zone near my house and the sign has been moved a time or two. I'm sure I've rolled through a stale yellow light a time or two in the past year as well. For the most part, I'm pretty careful about that stuff.

I worked in downtown Fort Worth for several years and am amazed there aren't more accidents involving pedestrians. I ended up a hood ornament once and nearly got run over by a UPS truck another time. Always when driver was turning right and the pedestrian walking parallel to the vehicle. The driver's attention is glued to the left. When he gets a green light, the pedestrian also gets the Walk signal. Driver sees traffic to his left stop, then guns it without looking right as the ped steps off the curb. There needs to be an all-way stop for vehicles while pedestrians go, but doubt it'll ever happen here in TX, where autos rule and traffic flow is #1 priority.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Freaking Philadelphia and their stupid camera system! I'm in for $400 in 2006! Right on red every time.

Comment

• ladami

I've went through some pink ones, but I promise it wasnt completely red.

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by BrazosJake
                There needs to be an all-way stop for vehicles while pedestrians go, but doubt it'll ever happen here in TX, where autos rule and traffic flow is #1 priority.
                You got that right. As a young'un I was taught to look both ways, and stop for a 3,000 lb. car that would hurt me more than I could ever hurt it. Now-a-days folks step out from between parked cars in mall lots and at crosswalks without looking, etc etc etc. And if they get hit guess who's fault it is?

"Pedestrians have the right of way" - and the right to be total morons.

Is that true in other states too?

Comment

Working...