• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Cell Phone Upgrade

My first cellphone was in 1987 and it was one they called the "brick". Thought I'd put up a pic just for grins.

Fortunately I was able to keep the same number all these years. Well, since that fine piece of electronics, I've had several upgrades. We are on a plan that bundles our cell phone, land line and satellite TV. At our last option to upgrade, LOML went to a flip type phone, with camera. I didn't go that route because the buttons are too darn small. Anyway, I still, after a year with my present one haven't figured out the whole menu yet. The Nokia I'm using has a leather case and one of those rotating clips that snap on the back. When carrying it on the belt, it's loose and turns. Here's the deal, it's time to upgrade again, and I'm game for anything. We will be going to the Cingular store, to pick out our phones. I may end up with a flip style. I prefer one that has an easy to use and sturdy belt clipping ability. One that allows easy removal of the phone without it falling out. I need some input on what some of you are using and any recommendations.
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
    The Nokia I'm using has a leather case and one of those rotating clips that snap on the back. When carrying it on the belt, it's loose and turns...
    I prefer one that has an easy to use and sturdy belt clipping ability. One that allows easy removal of the phone without it falling out.
    I have had consistently excellent results with Nokia phones (non-flip ones, BTW). My most important characteristics with a cellphone are performance (signal strength, dropped calls) and battery life. Flip phones demand intense miniaturization, generally resulting in compromises on battery life and, in my limited experience, signal strength.

With my Nokia 6010 and Cingular, I have always had a better signal than everyone I have compared it to here in the midwest. I frequently can make and receive calls in buildings where others are out of luck or are forced to stand near windows.

A co-worker just got a Nokia 6030 and has been pleased with its performance.

I haven't been enamored with some of the belt holders. I recently got one sold by foneGEAR that is the best ever. It has a magnetic strap to secure the phone in an open-topped pocket. Keeps the phone secure without making it a major pain to remove.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

I like to use plastic holsters that clip on to the belt. For me, this is easier to use than the leather cover with button on the back like your using now. Slik Geek's suggestion sound pretty good, too.

I have a Razor, although I'm not using it right now since I've gone to Blackberry. The Razor is a flip-top, but the buttons are very good sized. It's also intuitive to use. Motorola has good software avaialble for synchronizing the tel. number database with desktop software, if that's interesting to you. It has a big color screen that's easy to read.

JR
      JR

Comment

• sacherjj
        Not Your Average Joe
        • Dec 2005
        • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I'm a Treo 700 user. I couldn't do without carrying all my info with me. If you ae out of a contract and want web on it too, do a search for Sprint SERO (Special Employee Referal Offer). Many of the "deals" sites have info about getting a SERO plan. 500 minutes and unlimited data for $30. Heck of a deal. I also prefer the belt plastic clip type holster over the leather type. Never had a leather type that wasn't in the way.
        Joe Sacher

Comment

• germdoc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Omaha, NE
          • BT3000--the gray ghost

I recently got a Nokia 6265i (http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6265i/0,7747,,00.html) which I am very happy with. It is a slider, has a 2-mp camera, and mp3. It will accept a 2-gb mini-Sd expansion card.

The camera and screen are top notch, so if you have any use for pictures it is one of the best out there. Has a flash and you hold it horizontally like a "real" camera. I've uploaded about 25 or so CD's to it, and it functions just like a regular mp3 player--also has FM radio.

In fact, there's very little it doesn't have. With the rebates and everything it cost $120 from US Cellular. The software is pretty intuitive.

It's also pretty sturdy, although the exposed screen is a little bit of an issue. I have a belt clip that I really like, except that it doesn't protect the screen. It allows you to use the slider without removing the phone, which is a big convenience.

Nicest feature IMO is voice commands and speakerphone--can do most calls handsfree. The speakerphone, BTW, is one of the best I've heard.

Check it out.
          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I have LG VX9800 (the 'V') from Verizon. Like it a lot. I have a leather holster with marnetic flap for it - getting the phone out is instantaneous.

Also - my wife has a Motorola v710, and she has a bluetooth headset. She got used to it almost immediately, and she no longer even keeps her phone in easy-access place - she uses the headset. It is very small and light, and completely unobtrusive.

Comment

• coach
              Established Member
              • Jan 2005
              • Forney, TX.
              • Powermatic 66

ask to see the Sony Ericsson w810. It is a great little phone, but not a flip phone. I get great battery life with it, and the reception is the best that I've had.
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• scmhogg
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

Jeff,

You can buy thin plastic sticky sheets that protect the screen and can be replaced when scratched or worn. Radio Shack I think.

Steve
                I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't like Nokia, but the only Nokia phone I ever had (several years ago) wasn't very good. Of course, that may have just been that at the time, AT&T had poor service in the NY metro area, where I was at the time.

I've been happy with the Samsung and LG phones that I've used other than the Nokia. Of course, I don't like what I see now. Unless there's a problem with the phone you have now, why upgrade? If you want a basic phone without (to me) useless features, you can only buy junk. My phone already does far more than I will ever use, so I won't upgrade until I really need to.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

It's really not me. It's LOML. We get a notice that we can upgrade, and her eyes light up. For me, I'm kinda basic. I don't use all the features either. One of my reasons to upgrade is that the phone I'm presently using has buttons on the sides for certain things. That feature is bad if you don't have full feeling in your hands or fingers. Like the volume control is on the side and I'll be talking and the volume keeps going down and I can't feel the button. Another reason is the stupid belt clip attachment. It's a single button with a clip that allows the phone to rotate all over your hip.

LOML has decided she wants the "Razor" phone, so I guess half of us is ready.

Comment

• jziegler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Salem, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I understand what you're saying Cabinetman. I hope you find something at teh store that you like.

I've really started to dislike all of these upgrade offers. I was getting calls trying to get me to upgrade, not just the mailings. And I really dislike the idea of throwing out something that works just fine and greating more waste when it isn't necessary. But such is the way of the world today. End of rant.

Jim

Comment

Working...