• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Acetone and bandaids

I just found out that acetone and bandaids don't mix well.

I made a small cut on the tip of my index finger while making fine knife cut on a piece of maple. Not much blood but enough to sploch the piece of wood, so I put a bandaid on it.

A few minutes later, I glued two small pieces of wood together with epoxy. Next it was time for dinner/supper. With epoxy on my hands I decided to clean them with aceton. I wet a folded piece of paper towell and poured a little too much - and wiped my hands. First it DID burn, but then I felt a gooey mess on my finger. The acetone melted the bandaid!

That goey mess was harder to get off than the little bit of epoxy.

. . . Another lesson learned . . . that I will probably forget soon!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Good thing you didn't try H2S04. You wouldn't forget that soon enough.

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

But his bones would have been clean...

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by leehljp
        I just found out that acetone and bandaids don't mix well.
        Acetone is awesome in its power to dissolve!

Originally posted by leehljp
        With epoxy on my hands
        You should wear gloves when working with epoxy. Here is what the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration says:

"Many of the adhesives used in finishing wood products also contain toxic chemicals. The most hazardous are the solvent-based, epoxy resin, and urea-formaldehyde resin adhesives. Many of the solvents used in the coating agents are used in the adhesives. The epoxy resin adhesives are particularly toxic. Methylene chloride, which has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals, often is the base for these adhesives. Some of the components of the epoxy resins also may be cancer-causing. Epoxy resin adhesives also can cause dermatitis and a sensitization reaction."

Even if you aren't concerned about the carcinogenic aspects, you should be concerned about the contact dermatitis / sensitization that can occur, as well as the harmful effect from breathing the epoxy fumes.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Slik Geek
          Acetone is awesome in its power to dissolve!

You should wear gloves when working with epoxy. Here is what the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration says:

"Many of the adhesives used in finishing wood products also contain toxic chemicals. The most hazardous are the solvent-based, epoxy resin, and urea-formaldehyde resin adhesives. Many of the solvents used in the coating agents are used in the adhesives. The epoxy resin adhesives are particularly toxic. Methylene chloride, which has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals, often is the base for these adhesives. Some of the components of the epoxy resins also may be cancer-causing. Epoxy resin adhesives also can cause dermatitis and a sensitization reaction."

Even if you aren't concerned about the carcinogenic aspects, you should be concerned about the contact dermatitis / sensitization that can occur, as well as the harmful effect from breathing the epoxy fumes.
          I do wear gloves, I do, I do, I promise! I keep a box of rubber gloves on my work bench at all times. I ran out earlier this week and bought a new box Thursday. BUT today I only wanted to glue two small pieces, less than half a teaspoon full of epoxy. Got most of it on my hands. Next time . .

. . . I probably should have gotten cancer 40 years ago from all the epoxy that I used to get on me. Now it is mostly Cyanoacralate that I get on me. Truth be known, I use gloves a mojority of the time to keep the glue off more than to keep from getting cancer.
          Last edited by leehljp; 04-14-2007, 08:55 AM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...