• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Rocket Boys/October Sky

I have wanted to see October Sky for years, and the recent sleeper movie thread made up my mind to finally see it, BUT, I screwed it up and read the book first.

I read the book and LOVED it. I stayed awake late on a few work nights to finish it, I just couldn't put it down. It was funny, sad, inspiring and exciting. I can honestly say, it was one of the best books I have ever read (and I have read a lot).

I rented the movie, knowing that I probably shouldn't. As we have all seen many times, Hollywood destroyed the story with the movie. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it was a great movie (LOML thought so without reading it) but I could not get over the changes. I won't get into spoilers, but the relationships between Homer jr. (Sonny), Homer Sr. (John?!?!?) and his mom were all wrong. What they did with his mom almost made me cry.

Just a rant, but I am curious to hear from anyone that read the book and saw the movie.
    Joe
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I've only seen the movie, but now you make me want to read the book. I'll more likely try to get an audio book. That just fits in better with my spare time.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Fantastic. Seen the movie, never read the book. About to leave for CA in a couple of days so it will make a perfect book to take along.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Never read the book, loved the movie. We own the DVD and have seen a few times now. One of my all time top ten favorite movies.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• mac_daddy
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2006
          • Sugar Land, TX
          • BT3000

What's a book? J/K...

Movie is much more convenient than having time to read...just like fast food...

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by mac_daddy
            What's a book? J/K...

Movie is much more convenient than having time to read...just like fast food...
            But, I would much rather take the time and sit down with a well cooked steak and some good beer, than scarf down a Big Mac and watered down Coke...but that's just me
            Joe

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by JoeyGee
              But, I would much rather take the time and sit down with a well cooked steak and some good beer, than scarf down a Big Mac and watered down Coke...but that's just me
              Me too...while I watch a good movie!
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• mdutch
                Established Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Dallas, TX, USA.

Dang I wish I could read.

Seriously, a great movie and a great book. But they're two different mediums so they have to adapt (change) the story to fit the film. Think about it. No way you can read the book, out loud, in 90 minutes. When you start cutting stuff, you have to decide about character development. Sometimes characters get sacrificed, some get combined into one character.

Kinda like working with wood.
                Dutch·man Pronunciation (dchmn)n.
                3. Something used to conceal faulty construction.
                Another DFW BT3'er!

Comment

• MilDoc

Loved October Sky, I've watched it 3-4 times. Very inspirational!

Comment

Working...