• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tedkitch
    • Jul 2006
    • NE Suburbs, Chicago
    • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

Best Band That No One Has Ever Heard Of

Going along with the theme of the Song List and the sick twisted dementia of the ongoing story (thongs and toxicity always make a good story!) I thought that we could start something else that may turn someone onto some new music. The only rules are that they have to have had at least 1 album out (try to name the album or at least a song), that you categorize them (as best as possible) and that you explain why you think that they are the best band that no one has ever heard of. Don't worry if anyone else cares for polka or not.

If others have heard of the band then they can chime in and let people know what they think of them. Also, if you listen to them for the first time and like/dislike them you can sound off on it also.

And to get things rolling here is my entry:

Kings X - Hard Rock meets The Beatles - Ear Candy (Album) - Sometime (Song) I like them, they sing in harmonies (ala The Beatles) and they have a very good hard rock sound to them. Great band from Texas, otherwise known as the "Other Little Old Band From Texas"
    Ted Kitch
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Änglagård (band) - Jordrök (song) / Hybris (album)

Think King Crimson meets Jethro Tull, throw in a smidgeon of Genesis. Outstanding Prog Rock, but you may need to listen to it a few times. Oh and at the time they made this they were all teenagers or in their early 20s!

Another if I may:

"Duel with the Devil" by Transatlantic (album: Live In Europe, also studio version on Bridge Across Forever). More outstanding Prog Rock, one of thos 20+ minute symphonic pieces.

Comment

• gaj1967
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007
      • Luling, La.
      • BT3000

Opeth (band) - Deliverence (album) - Master apprentices (song)

genre - METAL

Picture Pink Floyds "Dark Side of the Moon" switching to the heaviest, deepest, darkest music you ever heard. Beautiful vocals to growls, acoustic guitar to pure distortion. Ahhhhhhh, you have to love Swedish metal. They speak with thick accents but sing in perfect English.

I've heard Kings X before, real good band. Just listened to Änglagård, might have to seek some CDs now. Makes me want to play my Yes CDs again. Over and over again.
      Gil

BT3000

Comment

• Tundra_Man
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tedkitch
        Kings X - Hard Rock meets The Beatles - Ear Candy (Album) - Sometime (Song) I like them, they sing in harmonies (ala The Beatles) and they have a very good hard rock sound to them. Great band from Texas, otherwise known as the "Other Little Old Band From Texas"
        +1 on Kings X, especially their first four albums. They have probably had more influence on modern heavy music than any other band. My son is named after their guitarist Ty Tabor, who may be the most underrated guitarist ever.

Another great unknown band is Remedy Drive (http://www.remedydrive.com). They were a great band even before they started playing great guitars.
        Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

VAST
          Fury in the Slaughterhouse
          Elliot Smith
          Soundtrack of Our Lives

I can think of a few more bands that not many have heard of, but I think if you have 4+ albums out it's hard to say no one has heard of them....

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Sidney the Bleached Frenzy (band)
            Bottomless Lifeless Hellpit (album, 1992)
            Suburban Panache (song)

Category: Experimental psychetechno-industrial mellow-dance-pop

Why is it the best? Because it was my band, of course

Listen to it here: http://plans.thefrankes.com/music/ (Scroll to Suburban Panache)

I have no idea at all how to describe it.... None at all.
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Kinda and not really meets the criteria

As I am getting older, I am appreciating some of the early works of some bands that changed and became famous.

One pirme example if Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. I played a song the other day, and was asked who it was and what it was. I replyed Man of the World and said Fleetwood Mac, and I couldn't convince them it wasn't an April fool's joke.

Another one I want to go back and listen to, is Genisys, when Peter Gabriel was the lead.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tedkitch
                • Jul 2006
                • NE Suburbs, Chicago
                • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

I heard on XM last week that Genesis is supposed to tour this summer with both Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins. That might be awesome! I have to agree with you on the Peter Green stuff. That was just awesome. Here is another one just for you:

Gary Moore
                Blues For Greeny (album)
                Merry Go Round (song)

Gary Moore playing some of the old Fleetwood Mac tunes. A very awesome album! Peter Green actually gave his beloved Les Paul to Gary Moore when he walked away from music.
                Last edited by tedkitch; 04-03-2007, 06:28 PM. Reason: More info that no one really cares about
                Ted Kitch

Comment

• Mar 2004
                  • Northern NJ, USA.
                  • BT3100

Seanchai

Seanchai, from NYC, plays Irish Hip-Hop and folk throwbacks. Think half the band is from Black 47.

couple of albums like Rebel Hip Hop, not sure if on any label, but can buy at Rocky Sullivan's bar in NYC (where the owner is the lead singer)

folk type throwback song is Ballad of Maired Farrel, about the woman of the Provisional Irish Republican Army her suffering at the hands of the Brits.

Hip-Hop type song is Sportin' Paddy, just a throwaway about a guy driving around the Irish countryside in his Caddy.

Well, I like 'em anyways.

curt j.
                  A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by tedkitch
                    I heard on XM last week that Genesis is supposed to tour this summer with both Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins.
                    AFAIK Gabriel declined the invitation, so Hackett said no too. So it is the Genesis of Collins, Banks and Rutherford on Tour.

http://www.genesis-music.com/

Comment

Working...