• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

An Interesting Visitor

Sherriff's deputy just stopped by. It seems there was a 911 call from a cell phone and the caller hung up. The call came from my area and deputies are going house to house to check on folks. I hope whoever is ok.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

It was probably someone who dialed wrong, then realized it. That happened to me not long ago. I dialed the complete number, but the first three numbers I hit were 911. I realized it before they even answered, and hung up, not realizing it would actually connect with 911. The sheriff's office called me back within a few seconds, asking if everything was O.K.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Once they went to needing area codes more around here (dialing IN the metro), 911 calls went up. Especially when people are intoxicated, and trying to order pizza (913-648-xxxx).
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

David, You should have blamed the neighbors dog

Comment

• Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I think a lot of those mis-dials are the result of having the ability to dial 911 while the keyguard is on. Of all the numbers I could dial, that's the one I'd most like to avoid mis-dialing (well, that and 900 numbers I guess...).

Oh well, if I could disable that "feature" and the panic button on my car keys I'd be a slightly more contented person.

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

A couple weks ago I had a wierd one. I got a call back from 911 They had a call and a hang up from my land line. I hadn't used that phone in ovrer two weeks. I use nothing but my cell phone. Next thing I new there were two sheriff deputies at my door shining a flaslght in my face. Not a pleasent experience.
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by Whaler
              A couple weks ago I had a wierd one. I got a call back from 911 They had a call and a hang up from my land line. I hadn't used that phone in ovrer two weeks. I use nothing but my cell phone. Next thing I new there were two sheriff deputies at my door shining a flaslght in my face. Not a pleasent experience.
              I'd love to know what all is going on with land lines. I think there are too many people spoofing numbers with their cell phones (can program them to send a fake phone number), as I got a call the other day from LA, asking me why I called them. (I don't have long distance, and don't call out there)
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

The deputy who came to my door was very polite. He did say we had an excellent alarm system. They greeted him at the door. I told him all they'd do is lick you to death. He said the important thing is it sure doesn't sound like that.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

The same thing happened to me last night! I was watching the Basketball game and had a knock on the door. It was a city cop saying that someone on a cell phone kept calling 911 and then hanging up. They said they had it pinpointed to my house. The house east of me and north of me are vacant, but he didn't check them out. He went to the house west of me next. They have a young boy, and it sounds like somekind of prank to me.
                  Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Do you have a cordless phone? That isn't an uncommon thing to happen when a cordless phone freaks out (especially an older one.) They will start dialing random series of numbers. Eventually they'll hit "911" and the police will arrive.

Had it happen to me a few years ago. A few days earlier I had noticed the phone was starting to act up. When the police arrived at 11:30 PM and I told them I hadn't called, the first thing they asked was if I had a cordless phone. When I said yes, they said "throw it out."

I did a little research on the 'net and sure enough it was a real thing: http://www.snopes.com/crime/safety/lowbattery.asp
                    Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

Working...