This Banker Had A Loss (VERY GRAPHIC)

Talk about a bad day:
    http://www.local10.com/news/11253270/detail.html

Warning - Very Graphic.
  • mater
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • SC, USA.

That is bad. It will make you stop and think.
    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Makes you stop and think after reading that.....uuugggghhhhh
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• BrazosJake
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Benbrook, TX.
        • Emerson-built Craftsman

Yikes, that'll make me stop and think next time I fire up the CMS.

On a lighter note, if it were the Michael Irvin recently inducted into the NFL hall of fame, I'd figure he'd been snorting the white stuff again.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Not just the CMS. Any tool with a blade, with or without power, can do serious damage to flesh and bone!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

That's just a warning to never get too comfortable with power tools of any kind.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by Ed62
              That's just a warning to never get too comfortable with power tools of any kind.

Ed
              and NEVER WORK TIRED!

I don't get much shop time because I would be asleep on my feet.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Woodwerker
                Established Member
                • Nov 2005

What scares me more than myself getting injured is my kids.
                I use every safty feature know to keep them away from the tools.
                Thier young, but I want to get into the habit of keeping them away from the tools until they are capable of using them safely
                Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

• JSCOOK
                  • Sep 2006
                  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

The really SAD part of all this is that the technology exists to prevent this sort of severe injury from ever occuring again, but manufacturers aren't really willing to adapt to it ...

I'm referring to the "Saw Stop" system ... not just for Table Saws ... allow the end user to decide if he wants the protect or not (as in deactivating the system) ...

It's like airbags or seatbelts in a vehicle ... at least it's there if your smart enought to use it ... it's up to the user if they do.

I wonder when the Class Action Lawsuit will happen as a result of one of these accidents that forces manufacturers to use "stopping" technology to safeguard the end user? ...
                  Last edited by JSCOOK; 03-19-2007, 11:38 AM.
                  "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

While I hate seeing those things, I look at them every time to remind myself of what can happen when not paying attention.
                    Bill

Comment

• JSCOOK
                      • Sep 2006
                      • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by Woodwerker
                      Thier young, but I want to get into the habit of keeping them away from the tools until they are capable of using them safely
                      Ya ditto here ... I make sure everything is now disconnected from the power source when I'm finished in the shop
                      "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Redford MI.
                        • Craftsman 21829

Yikes. Think I'll get that laser attachment for the CMS now. If the light hits the flesh don't drop the blade.

Comment

• scorrpio
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by JSCOOK
                          The really SAD part of all this is that the technology exists to prevent this sort of severe injury from ever occuring again, but manufacturers aren't really willing to adapt to it ...
                          I'm referring to the "Saw Stop" system ... not just for Table Saws ... allow the end user to decide if he wants the protect or not (as in deactivating the system) ...
                          I wonder when the Class Action Lawsuit will happen as a result of one of these accidents that forces manufacturers to use "stopping" technology to safeguard the end user? ...
                          The guy pushing SawStop is a lawyer and he probably will jump all over this case. And it would probably be cheaper for the manufacturer to settle the case than to adopt the tech - cause the inventor of this "great improvement" wants a hefty chunk off each tool sold that has it. And he plastered it with patents so thoroughly as to prevent any possibility of others developing anything remotely similar on their own. And to boot, the invention is shoddy - it destroys the blade and requires replacement of an expensive cartridge, meaning more $$ into inventor's pocket. I am sure the tech could be a lot less destructive, but it would be less profitable - and due to patents nobody but the original inventor can make any modification to it.
                          Seatbelts and airbags are far more relevant cause auto accidents are often caused by others - even the most cautious driver can get rammed by a drunk. Accidents involving power tools stem from one thing: operator's own negligence.
                          You want the tech to succeed? Vote with your wallet and buy a Sawstop. I'll vote with mine and keep buying tools without it as long as possible. I'd rather stay scared of spinning blades and not have that little voice in my mind saying: "no need to be so paranoid, you are protected".

Yeah, it's a pity this tech has been developed by such a greedy snake.

Comment

• Mar 2004
                            • Northern NJ, USA.
                            • BT3100

ahh, another saw stop discussion

I agree the saw stop might have its faults, but I don't get the push-bak against it.

So, the guy was a lawyer. I guess that makes our Constitution bunk since it involved more lawyers than any others.

So, the guys making a profit off it. As much as I might be into socialized this and that, profit is not a dirty word. In fact, it is what makes america great.

So, its patented. Darn tooting it is. You'd be a fool to invent something genuinely new and not patent it.

So, it destroys the blade and uses cartridges. First, 'tis a small price to pay for safety. $100 bucks total? Second, I can't fathom any other way to stop the blade dead in its tracks without destroying the blade and yet be economical. The sawstop isn't new, and its patent covers only the use of a cartirdge. I'm imagining if there was another workable way (say, use of brake calipers to the sides of the blade) someone would have thought of that and patented that.

Yes, it does seem the guy is charging more than it should cost, but he has a point that the cost would likely come down with more widespread use.

Yes, the guy does seem to be using heavy handed techniques to get this thing adopted, but so has so much else.

I dunno, I'm not trying to say the saw stop is the next best thing to nirvana, but on the other hand I don't get the opposition to it. If I had the money, I'd get one.

just my .02

curt j.
                            A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by Woodwerker
                              One of the reasons most power tools weren't allowed around my fathers shop. He grew up with them, being too young to know or properly use them, and was scared of them. Mom was sure that with that influence, we'd loose something/someone. Now I teach my father.

Originally posted by JSCOOK

It's like airbags or seatbelts in a vehicle ... at least it's there if your smart enought to use it ... it's up to the user if they do.

As for airbags, there was either 3 or 4 1969 Hurst Oldsmobiles that they were put in. One was in a magazine a few years ago, and they haven't located the others. As for lawsuits, it has been discussed before when he was trying to license it to them, and there have been several lawsuits since, just they don't stay in the national news. More below in response to others.

Originally posted by scorrpio
                              The guy pushing SawStop is a lawyer and he probably will jump all over this case. Accidents involving power tools stem from one thing: operator's own negligence.
                              You want the tech to succeed? Vote with your wallet and buy a Sawstop. I'll vote with mine and keep buying tools without it as long as possible. I'd rather stay scared of spinning blades and not have that little voice in my mind saying: "no need to be so paranoid, you are protected".

Yeah, it's a pity this tech has been developed by such a greedy snake.
                              Not all are negligence of the operator! Ever seen a carbide tip fly off a blade, due to bad brazing? I will agree most are!
                              I do agree with vote with your wallet, and would like to see the price of his contractor saw.
                              As for the inventor, he is a patent attorney. That was/is his specialty. Being one that knows the system better, he used his knowledge to his advantadge, in a capitolistic manner, not altruistic.

Originally posted by 430752

So, the guys making a profit off it. As much as I might be into socialized this and that, profit is not a dirty word. In fact, it is what makes america great.

So, its patented. Darn tooting it is. You'd be a fool to invent something genuinely new and not patent it.

So, it destroys the blade and uses cartridges. First, 'tis a small price to pay for safety. $100 bucks total? Second, I can't fathom any other way to stop the blade dead in its tracks without destroying the blade and yet be economical. The sawstop isn't new, and its patent covers only the use of a cartirdge. I'm imagining if there was another workable way (say, use of brake calipers to the sides of the blade) someone would have thought of that and patented that.

curt j.
                              As to other methods and concepts for blade stopping, they could be stopped in this country by some of his patents (which from what I have read, he does keep filing to both cha (covering his *ss) and potentially make money)
                              Blades are generally marketed, as consumables.
                              If he wanted, he could have given it away, then one of those bennificiary's might have patented it, and it would be a similar ball of wax. Or what currently is/does happen in industry, wait till the patents expire, then incorporate them (can anyone say Philo T Farnsworth). That is not new.
                              Or another option, not all countries follow or adhere to patent treaty's/law. China could just as easily clone it, and market it over here, then we would here the argument about being communist made.
                              Pick your battles, vote with your dollars, and let's not see this get as heated as it does elsewhere.

Thank you all!
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...