• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Potato Pancakes

For all the food experts out there, or cooking guru's, I'd like to share my experiment and ask for advice. I was watching one of those food shows where they were looking for the best potato pancake. I've always liked a good potato pancake. Well, after many chefs, the judges settled on one. Of course, a lot of the ingredients were "secret".

After watching that show I decided to try my hand at it. Here's what I did:

I first put one egg and 1/4 cup of flour in the food processor. Then I dug out of the cabinet my "Silver Bullet". That's the small mixer type appliance they advertise on TV that mixes stuff in 10 seconds. Anyway, into that, I added a small garlic clove, about an 1/8" section from the middle of an onion, and one potato (about average size). Did the 10 second mix, and poured/scraped the mixture into the food processor. Ran that for about 2 minutes.

The batter wasn't too thick or too thin. Then I took a large flat bottom pan and added about 1/4" of Canola oil. Heated the oil until it was waving at me. Then poured in the batter for two pancakes. When it hit the oil it spread to about 3" in diameter.

I let the bottom brown and then had to flip it, and that was a trip because the top was still a little gushy. Browned the second side and the whole pan cycle didn't take more than 4-5 minutes. The kitchen was an absolute mess. Emeril I'm not.

I think they came out pretty good for my first try, I do think they needed more onion. The quantities I used I tried to set as a benchmark for how much batter it would make. It was about one cup, and it made four pancakes that size.

So, how can I make a better potato pancake? Any suggestions?
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I don't cook unless absolutely necessary, so I can't give you direction on improving. But ya sure made me hungry! I like 'em too.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• germdoc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Omaha, NE
      • BT3000--the gray ghost

Potato pancakes are very easy to make, delicious, but a bit of a mess.

Here's what I do--peel 4-5 large Idaho potatoes and cut up along with an onion. Shred (preferably in food processor), then process using cutting/mixing blade until you get a consistency like applesauce. Add about 1/2 cup flour and 2 eggs, also 1/2 tsp or so of salt, 1/4 tsp or so of garlic powder.

Then drop into hot oil, browning on both sides. (Viva paper towels are great for soaking up extra grease.) Serve with sour cream and appleasauce.

Mmmm...
      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Jeff

Your mix was very similar to mine except for quantity details.I was trying for a single service. I think the overall mix you came up with was heavier in the potato and onion quantity. I also ground up whole garlic instead of the powder. I also didn't add any salt.

I could tell that my mix could use a little more onion, but it sounds like you used a whole one? And I noticed that at some of the deli places that I've gotten really "good" ones they had a grainy texture.

I'm gonna try loading up more potato and onion. Sounds good. My foremost food pang is still for bagels, lox (Nova) and cream cheese. Takes no cooking.

Comment

• TheRic
          • Jun 2004
          • West Central Ohio
          • bt3100

I always make my potato pancakes from the left over mashed potato from a previous meal. I'll make extra mashed potatoes so I can make potato pancakes for breakfast.

I add diced onions, sometimes garlic (don't tell the wife ). Sometimes I mix it all up with an egg and pour it in. Sometimes I grab the mashed potatoes (been in the refrig) and make a patty (adding onions & garlic) as I make the patty. Throw into a skillet with oil. Cook until golden brown.
          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by TheRic
            I always make my potato pancakes from the left over mashed potato from a previous meal. I'll make extra mashed potatoes so I can make potato pancakes for breakfast.

I add diced onions, sometimes garlic (don't tell the wife ). Sometimes I mix it all up with an egg and pour it in. Sometimes I grab the mashed potatoes (been in the refrig) and make a patty (adding onions & garlic) as I make the patty. Throw into a skillet with oil. Cook until golden brown.
            What! No flour?

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

I'm with Ric, Potato pancakes are to be made from mashed potatoes, not potato puree.

There should be no difficulty in flipping them as the mashed potatoes won't spill.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                I'm with Ric, Potato pancakes are to be made from mashed potatoes, not potato puree.

There should be no difficulty in flipping them as the mashed potatoes won't spill.

I've tried them with leftover mashed potatoes, and they don't get like a pancake, they just get mushy.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

C'man, All I can tell ya is my mom has been making them for 40+ years and it's always with left over mashed potatos. I'll ask her for her recipe.

I don't see why flour would be needed since the mashed potatos are starchy and thick enough already.

quick question, when you make mashed potatoes do you really make whipped potatoes? Or do they come out of a box? I don't think you can really make potato pancakes from either whipped or boxed potatoes. In my family you mash them by hand not by machine.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Copper
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Madison, WI.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by germdoc
                    Here's what I do--peel 4-5 large Idaho potatoes and cut up along with an onion.
                    IDAHO potatoes!?! Come on Germdoc, don't you know you live in the 3rd largest potato growing state? WI potatoes taste much better, too.
                    - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
                    and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• Cheeky
                      • Nov 2006
                      • westchester cty, new york
                      • Ridgid TS2400LS

the best potato pancakes, IMO, are made basically the same way as mashed potatoes.

use a little heavy cream, that will guild the lilly.

sweat some onions for a couple minutes, add them to the mashed potatoes. chop some italian flat leaf parsley (much better than curly parlsey), and add to the mix.

the key to a quality product, is to chill the potatoes. if you're in a rush, throw them in a flat pan (like one of those clear pyrex baking dishes) and put it on the freezer for 10 or 15. it's like meatballs, if they're chilled they fry better and keep their form.

when you're ready to cook, i would use a mix of butter and olive oil (1:3 or 4 ratio). if you have a castiron pan, even better. put it on medium, then take one of your formed cakes, lightly dredge it in flour (shake it off, only a little is necessary) and fry those puppies up. make sure the pan is up to temp and you get a nice sizzle!
                      Pete

Comment

• cabinetman
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                        C'man, All I can tell ya is my mom has been making them for 40+ years and it's always with left over mashed potatos. I'll ask her for her recipe.

I don't see why flour would be needed since the mashed potatos are starchy and thick enough already.

quick question, when you make mashed potatoes do you really make whipped potatoes? Or do they come out of a box? I don't think you can really make potato pancakes from either whipped or boxed potatoes. In my family you mash them by hand not by machine.
                        Potatoes out of a box are fake and taste like it. I will admit to having scalloped and au graten out of a box, in a jam, but don't tell anybody.

Comment

• MilDoc

The best ever:

Ingredients for Pancake:
                          2 cups grated potatoes
                          3 eggs
                          1 1/2 Tbsps flour (all purpose)
                          1 1/4 tsps salt
                          1-3 tsps grated onion
                          Ingredients for Topping:
                          4 Granny Smith apples (cored, peeled, sliced into rings)
                          3/4 cup brown sugar
                          3 Tbsps flour (all purpose)
                          1/4 tsp cinnamon
                          fresh blueberries and/or raspberries

Pancake:
                          Beat eggs and stir in potatoes. Mix flour and salt and stir into potatoes/eggs. Stir in onion. Heat cooking oil in skillet, put in mixture to form pancakes, brown on both sides until crisp.
                          Topping:
                          Scatter apple rings over bottom of microwaveable dish. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and spread over apple rings. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
                          Place some apple topping on a pancake and garnish with blueberries and/or raspberries. Serve hot.

Comment

• movnup
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2006
                            • Seattle
                            • BT3000

My version is the same as MilDoc's except you added 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to fluff them up a little. It comes from an old receipe book where you mix everything first and then grate the taters last in a blender. Every year I am asked to make these as there are a big family hit amd the topping is home made applesauce. There's a famous german restraunt in Milwaukee WI called Maders that these are one of their side specialties. They use a LOT of baking powder and they end up rising to a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch cake (I didn't have my handy tape measure hooked to my pocket so this is only an eyeball estimate).

The side is Wisconsin bratwurst --- I'm a Zimmerman so it ties to my roots of being a pretty german meal. I'll have to try the topping above as it's making me hungry for these things!!!!

Comment

• MilDoc

Tried a baking powder variation but gotta admit I like 'em flat! Guess it soaks up more of the grease (which is why I don't make 'em often!)

Comment

Working...