• Show
Clear All
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

moving

Just found out I have orders to Hawaii. Guess I won't be building anything for a few years. I see they have a woodcraft there but I don't know if I will have a garage and If I don't I don't know what I would do with all my tools. Not really what I was expecting but I guess there are worse places to go. I will probably bring my lathe I guess so at least I can do something.
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.
  • Crash2510
    • Feb 2006
    • North Central Ohio

I would probably feel bad if you were going to antarctica, but Hawaii not so much. For real good luck, hope you do not lose the woodworking itch, but there is always bt3central to keep you interested.
    Phil In Ohio
    The basement woodworker

Comment

• JTimmons
      • Feb 2005
      • Denver, CO.
      • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I am with Crash. You're not going to get a "sucks to be you" from me.

It's a beautiful place, I'd be surprised if you had the time to play around with your tools in the off-time anyway. If you come up with the space to put'em it's a plus. If not, stick'em in storage and don't worry about, enjoy your time there.
      "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
      -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

You might be in luck

Schofield Barracks and Fort Shafter both have woodshops. http://www.mwrarmyhawaii.com/ Look under leisure activities/arts & crafts

Also we have a member who lives on the big Island. IIRC, he's a cabinet maker, so maybe he'll let you come over and help out. (Can't remember his name...)

Good luck with the assignment. A piece of advice: if you're not yet scuba qualified, you need to get that way ASAP. LOML and I got certified before going on our honeymoon on Kauai. The diving experience in Hawaii is outstanding.

JR

BTW - all those shedding crocodile tears for onedash should remember that for every assignment in Hawaii there are dozens of Fort Sill or Fort Jackson or White Sands postings. Or Baghdad. You sign up to see the world, for good or bad.
        JR

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Yeah, getting jerked up and moved is a hassle. But Hawaii is among the better places to get jerked to!
          Now for serious matters. If you don't send all you can of exotic woods back to the mainland for your use later, while you're there you'll be kicking your own butt for years.
          Good luck to you.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I go along with JR. See if there is a shop on base. It's been a while since I was on active duty, and I'm sure things have changed in 37 years. But, if there is a shop on base they will probably have first rate equipment.

Comment

• onedash
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Maryland
              • Craftsman 22124

Yeah I think there are at least a couple wood hobby shops. They are pretty anal with safety but I heard some stories where people thought they new what they were doing and shopped fingers off or worse. Had a guy in our office for a while that used to run one of the shops who told us some horror stories. I checked out the the one here at Norfolk once and it has a LOT of great tools. A couple big UNI Saws a planer that was probably 4 feet wide. I think it had a 25 HP motor. It was huge and it cost 25 cents a foot to use. Everything else was free I think. I have a decent little stack of various wood now and am wondering if they will move it.

I know most or all of the newer base housing has garages but I think they are all smaller places. I will be needing a 4 bedroom and I think those are all older with carports (not sure). so I could drag my little lathe out there to work and find a corner to keep it in iside if I have to.

Comment

• WoodButcher26
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Dayton, OH

Snag some koa if you can while you're there. The only place in the world where it grows, and they're getting a little shy about sending it out.

I agree with you, btw, I saw very little housing there that had anything other than maybe a carport, could be tough to set up a shop there. Hope there's nothing in your shop that can't be stored for three years...

Kim
                Measure it with a micrometer...
                Mark it with a crayon...
                Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Best of luck to you, and I hope you get your fill of ww.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Unless the rules have changed, you can't ship raw wood in your HHG. I shipped a lot of shelving, though! Are you going to be at K-Bay?
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• billwmeyer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Weir, Ks, USA.
                      • BT3000

Good luck! If I had to choose 2 tools to take to Hawaii it would be a lawn mower and a weed eater. GRASS SKIRTS!!!

Bill
                      "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Clemson, SC, USA
                        • Rigid TS3650

A couple of advance emails to the post ought to clear up some of the questions one-dash. Every base I was at except Vietnam and Korea had a woodworking setup. They used to ship "hobby" equipment in HHG in the old days, but don't know if that still holds true - somebody on your base ought to know that answer.

Best of luck to you - there are worse places - be sure to visit the Polynesian Culture Center, you'll love it.
                        Ken Weaver
                        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• onedash
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2005
                          • Maryland
                          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Pappy
                          Unless the rules have changed, you can't ship raw wood in your HHG. I shipped a lot of shelving, though! Are you going to be at K-Bay?
                          Yes. Thats what I was kinda worried about. Thats a good tip. They are not boards they are big various sized shelves.....

Comment

• jaybee
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Regina, SK, Canada
                            • BT3100-1

Is there a problem with building shipping containers out of native island wood? With wood inserts to make small compartments to avoid shipping damage to wooden curio and jewelry boxes. Using articles of clothing to keep things from rattling. I'm sure that a set of custom carved carry on luggage for the return flight would be cool to have.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                              • BT3100

up until two years ago, i lived in apartments and moving for me wasnt much of a deal. now with some big tools, i can imagine how hard it would be.

but like you said, there are worse places you could have gone. youre going to the opposite of that. my brother went there a couple of years ago and loves that place dearly. i am sure you will very soon enjoy being there.

as for ww, if its in your blood, if you are leaving here without any tools, trust me, you will be coming back with a whole lot more

so enjoy the time while you are there. you and your family have a safe moving trip and have fun - the most important thing!

regards,

Comment

Working...