• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Sketchup. Is. Way. Cool.

Our chief designer here at Arkytekchure Central started using SketchUp almost a year ago. We needed a tool to knock out some quick-and-dirty 3D models, and after getting many recommendations for SketchUp Pro we decided to purchase it. Watching over his shoulder as he was learning to use it, I thought, "Hey, that looks pretty neat, I could use something like that when working up designs for woodworking projects."

And then I got lucky: Google subsequently bought out SketchUp, and released a free version of the program. Two nights ago, I finally got around to installing this on my home box. Lack of time prevented me from spending more than about ten minutes with it right then, but last night I fired it up to see what I could make it do. I decided to use, as a learning exercise, the design for the compound miter saw bench I want to build when I move into my "new" larger shop. I've been working up the design for this using our regular CAD software, but since we use that only as a 2D production tool, I wanted to see how it would look in 3D.

Ninety minutes later, starting from scratch and knowing essentially zilch about how to run SketchUp, this is what I had:

(Actually I had a drawing a bit more complicated than these, but I've edited out a "trick" little feature that will be incorporated into this workstation ... let's call it a cat I prefer to keep in the bag, for now. )

With less than two hours of use under my belt, I'm still fumbling around with the thing, but already I can see that SketchUp is an AMAZING program. From time to time members here will ask about CAD software for woodworking project design, and I always say that most CAD software unfortunately has a pretty steep learning curve and is generally not well suited to casual use. That's not to be elitist, mind you; it's just a simple warning about the nature of the beast.

SketchUp, though, is different. If you can doodle out a design by hand, you can easily draw it up in SketchUp. I probably had a little bit of an advantage owing to my ~19 years of running CAD; then again, I also experienced quite a lot of frustration last night because I couldn't get SketchUp to obey the CAD commands that are permanently imprinted onto my fingertips as a result of those 19 years.

Anyway ... this thing is a bona fide gem, and it's absolutely free. HIGHLY recommended!

SketchUp is a premier 3D design software that makes 3D modeling & drawing accessible and empowers you with a robust toolset where you can create whatever you can imagine.
    Larry
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

So is it eaiser than learning CAD? I've an older version of Turbo-Cad that I would really like to learn to use but the learing curve seems way too steep and everytime I try to use it I just get frustrated! Or is it easier for you because of your basis in Cad? How long do you think it would take those of use with absolutly zero CAD exp. to be able to use it?
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by LarryG
      (Actually I had a drawing a bit more complicated than these, but I've edited out a "trick" little feature that will be incorporated into this workstation ... let's call it a cat I prefer to keep in the bag, for now. )
      Could it be a monster fence for a miter saw???

Nice drawing, BTW.
      The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• RockyJohn
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2002
        • Colorado Springs, CO, USA.
        • BT 3100 'till the motor goes!

Somebody has to say it - why not me?

"I like sketchup on my fries and on meat loaf."

Thanks for posting this. I think it's just what I was looking for. Gotta love the price, too!
        John Gleason
        I'm 62 - Halfway to 124. That makes me Middle-Aged!

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

I use it all the time as a architect, mostly though for building models for other people. It's my most used programme.
          Attached Files
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

That just might be the recommendation I need to get off my butt and give it a try. I think it might be especially important for making shop furniture for a small shop to know how a piece is going to look in 3D. In a small shop, you need to think less in terms of mere footprint, and more about the total volume.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
              How long do you think it would take those of use with absolutely zero CAD exp. to be able to use it?
              In my case, just over an hour - most of which was spent watching the excellent tutorials - in my opinion this is a must, as simple-sounding actions (snapping edges together, for example) are easy only when you see how it's done.

Once you try it, you'll either get it right away and love it, or struggle UNTIL you watch the tutorials. I think it's great too.

Ray.
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been thinking about trying it for a while. My brother is an engineer and he's let me try out a few expensive CAD packages over the years - I've never gotten the hang of it and ended up doing better by hand. But, I've heard a few people rave about the free version of Sketchup now, so it's time to give it another shot.
                Bill

Comment

• mschrank
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Hood River, OR, USA.
                  • BT3000

It's about time! I've been singing the praises of Sketchup for some time now, and feel it often falls on deaf ears!

The only real complaint I have about it is that Google bought it and released the free version about 3 months after I paid for the pro version. I find myself using the free version more often than not. Its main limitation to it is the inability to print to scale.

I've used it for projects small and large. Most recently, I used it to design my kitchen. I did use the pro version for that, as I got my cabinet store to send me their 20/20 CAD file which I easily imported into my existing Sketchup project.

For my shop cabinets, I "built" them in Sketchup, right down to figuring out the joinery. Then I disassembled each panel and laid them out on virtual pieces of plywood to make a cutting guide and make the most of my stock.

Before using it, I had almost zero experience with CAD...other than trying to use it and being frustrated. At the time I purchased it, they gave you an 8 hour free trial. That was more than enough time to learn it and draw up my first couple of projects.

First tip: Make sure you learn to use the "push/pull" tool...it'll save lots of time while drawing.
                  Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• RayintheUK
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Another (Windows) tip: If your rotating and/or zooming goes wrong, hold down both <Ctrl> and <Shift> then hit "E" and all will be restored.

Ray.
                    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Crash2510
                      • Feb 2006
                      • North Central Ohio

I love sketchup. My first experience with using sketchup was at the recommendation of this forum. I used it to draw an addition to our house. The picture is kind of rough, but was a huge timesaver when it came to layout.Click image for larger version

Name:	AutoSave_kitchen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	780537
                      I referenced this picture so many times while doing this project as I did everything. If you guys would like to see pics of the finished product I could show you on another thread so you could compare to my sketchup.
                      Phil In Ohio
                      The basement woodworker

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Liberty, SC, USA.
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by RayintheUK
                        In my case, just over an hour - most of which was spent watching the excellent tutorials - in my opinion this is a must, as simple-sounding actions (snapping edges together, for example) are easy only when you see how it's done.

Once you try it, you'll either get it right away and love it, or struggle UNTIL you watch the tutorials. I think it's great too.

Ray.
                        Yeah Ray, but most of us ain't like 'you'!! ;-D

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

Thank you for posting the link for Sketchup. I've downloaded it, and maybe I'll find time tomorrow to play with it a little.

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• gmack5
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Just one problem!

The only problem I have with sketchup is the fact that it only works with MS Win XP.

Right now, I'm using Win ME and it won't install sketchup! When this happened, I went to the web site and did some reading. That's when I discovered that it only works with Win XP..........BUMMER
                            Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                            Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                            George

Comment

• Crash2510
                              • Feb 2006
                              • North Central Ohio

It probably won't install on win ME because if you tried to use it on ME it would go into total system failure and your computer would explode.
                              just a guess
                              Phil In Ohio
                              The basement woodworker

Comment

Working...