• Show
Clear All
  • bhornberger
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Webster Groves, Mo, USA.
    • Craftsman 22104

David Marks - St. Louis Woodcraft 3/10-11

I didn't know where to place this. While in Woodcraft today in ST. Louis buying a Triton Router, I noticed that David Marks will be there 3/10-11

Looks like he is going to be busy

St Louis, Missouri Woodcraft
    Contact Woodcraft to register for classes.
    2077 Congressional Drive
    West Port Area
    St. Louis, Missouri
    (314) 993-0413
    stlouis-retail@woodcraft.com

Finishing with David Marks Demo
    March 10, 2007 - 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
    David will show students how to sharpen and use scrapers to produce a smooth surface. He will demonstrate various ways to color wood using chemicals and dyes such as potassium dichromate, ferrous sulfate and dyes. David will demonstrate two different types of clear finishes, shellac & wax and hand rubbed oil.

Knife-Cut Veneering with David Marks Demo
    March 10, 2007 - 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
    In this 4 hour demo, David will demystify the veneering process, by demonstrating techniques geared to the small shop. He will begin by showing you how to handle veneer safely to avoid damage and then demonstrate how to mix a solution which will stabilize and flatten difficult veneers such as crotch patterns and burls that have become warped, bubbled and brittle. In addition, David will demonstrate proven cutting techniques that will enable you to safely cut and join book matches, slip matches, and radial matches. There will be a discussion of appropriate adhesives, clamping techniques and vacuum pressing followed by a question and answer session.

Hand-Cut Dovetails with David Marks Demo
    March 11, 2007 - 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
    In this half day demo, David will introduce students to one of the oldest, strongest joints known to woodworking, the dovetail. David will show students how to prepare the stock which is critical, plus demonstrate various systems for laying out the proportions of the pins and tails, the use of a cabinet maker’s scribe, and different methods of cutting them using a hand saw as well as a band saw. After the pins and tails have been cut out, David will show students a shop made guide that will ensure accuracy for finishing off the cuts with a sharp chisel.

Vacuum Press with David Marks Demo
    March 11, 2007 - 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
    In this four hour demonstration David will introduce students to the vacuum press, explaining the fundamentals of how it works and why it has become one of the best choices for clamping veneers and bentwood laminations. Students will learn how and why the vacuum press works, the sequence and necessary steps for successful glue ups and the pitfalls to avoid.

Brent
    Brent
  • BigHand
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006
    • 42° 50' 30" N, 82° 40' 33" W
    • BT3K

I was able to take a class with him last September, also at a Woodcraft store. He was a good teacher (the class was on gilding) and a very down to earth guy. I would have gladly taken one of the other classes, but the budget wouldn't allow.

Recommendations are normally something I avoid, but if you're thinking about taking one of his classes, there's no reason to hesitate.
    Pete

Comment

Working...