• Show
Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

30" and counting

Snow, that is. It snowed more or less nonstop from Friday til this morning. I blew the snow 4 times and have snow on either side of the driveway and sidewalks 4 feet high--6 feet where the snowplows came.

On the plus side, it sure is scenic and fun. The kids have been busy building snow tunnels and snow forts. I went downhill skiing Sat. afternoon and evening and went cross-country yesterday, and I don't think I've seen a prettier site than the local woods blanketed with snow.

More expected later this week...
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by germdoc
    I . . . have snow on either side of the driveway and sidewalks 4 feet high--6 feet where the snowplows came.

On the plus side, it sure is scenic and fun . . . I don't think I've seen a prettier site than the local woods blanketed with snow.

More expected later this week...
    Well, we have that now, after it has had several weeks to settle.

And, I'll bet ours will still be here in May.

From the Great Land, Steve

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

HEY!!!! quit stealing my snow.

We got 6 inches and it stopped. I need at least 12 inches to not go to the office. But I'd gladdly take 30+.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• thestinker
        • Oct 2005
        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Sunny and 70 degrees out side...sorry everyone can't live in the south.
        Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• germdoc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Omaha, NE
          • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by thestinker
          I grew up there--you'll be singing a different tune when it's mid-August and hot and humid in TX, vs. 75 and pleasant in Wisconsin!
          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

We've had quite a bit of snow, but not that much! With warmer temperatures, we've had a lot of melting. Yesterday my garage was flooded. Now it's around freezing again.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by thestinker
              My philosophy on this is simple.

You can dress up for cold weather, but you can only dress down so far for hot weather.

I've had people say that it's nicer when it's hot because the girls were bikinis. I shoot back with "But when it's cold they want to snuggle"
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Popeye
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Woodbine, Ga
                • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by germdoc
                I grew up there--you'll be singing a different tune when it's mid-August and hot and humid in TX, vs. 75 and pleasant in Wisconsin!
                Hey Doc, it's 76 and sunny in South Georgia, and as one who has shoveled his share of snow, has gotten frost bite in Iowa blizzards and never missed a day of work because of snow and below zero weather......I'll take shoveling heat and humidity over snow any day. Does look nice on TV though. Pat
                Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                  I've had people say that it's nicer when it's hot because the girls were bikinis. I shoot back with "But when it's cold they want to snuggle"
                  Yes but they don't want to snuggle with you. But, you can always look at girls in bikinis.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Kristofor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

We only picked up about a foot in the Twin Cities, but it sure was welcome. Many folks don't realize it, but it doesn't really snow in Minnesota anymore. Prior to yesterday it had been 8 years since we've a 12" snowfall!

When there's a decent layer of snow on the ground and more falling it's so beautiful, quiet, and relaxing. If you have a chance for a hike (lots of work) or cross-country ski trip through the woods while it's snowing, or just after it's finished it's wonderful.

20 degrees and snowing is a good day, beats 105 degrees hands down, no contest. -30 and windy we could argue... Cold is easier to deal with (more layers, all cars have heat, etc. ), but the down side is you can die in minutes if you do something stupid

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by crokett
                      Yes but they don't want to snuggle with you. But, you can always look at girls in bikinis.
                      How about girls in bikinis when it's cold??
                      Jeff

Comment

• Howard
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Plano, Tx.
                        • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

I've lived in Texas almost my whole life with the exception of a 2 year period in the Bay Area and the summers here are, to put it mildly, He**! From early June until early october, don't even plan on going for a picnic at the park, unless you really enjoy sweating. Woodworking in the garage is a heat stroke in the making July through Sept. Hopefully, within the next couple of years, we can move to Albuquerque where it gets fairly warm during the day but cools off nicely at night. Nice winters, too! cold but dry.
                        Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
                        - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...