• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Your Favorite Tool?

Mine is my chainsaw. Yes I do use it contrary to what this thread says. I have a good Stihl and while it is the tool I probably use the least it is still my favorite. Mostly it is nostalgia - in my house you knew you were growing up when my Dad let you use the spare chainsaw for the first time. You weren't just a gofer any more. Plus the smell of sawdust and bar oil and a windy day means heat and a good wood fire later.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

That is a hard question. I have a hard time figuring out if it is my router, band saw, or Ridgid OSS. For utility, I have to go with band saw.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Tough question, but I'll assume you mean power tools. I guess if I had to give everything up but one, I'd probably keep my table saw.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

In general, looking at consistent results and the feeling of a 'job well done', for me it's the TS or the Router, with the TS leading clearly. Somehow a clean, straight cut exactly along the line drawn gives me an inner glow that keeps the ww fire alight.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• JSCOOK
          • Sep 2006
          • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

For shop tools, it's definitely my tablesaw ... but I can side with Crokett on the Stihl chainsaws for overall tools ... I've owned several as family has been involved in the forestry business one way or another for about 40 years now.

so saying "... smell of sawdust and bar oil ..." does bring back may good memmories
          "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

I am also a fan of the chainsaw, stihl is also my favorite. I also enjoy welding and I really glad that I have a mig welder in my arsonal.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• rg32
              Established Member
              • Jul 2004
              • Barre, Vermont, USA.

Know where your coming from David
              Heating almost entirely with wood this winter my chain saw is high on the list even though it’s a Husqvarna
              But actually my favorite tool for the present and after 36 inches of snow in one dump and possibly more on the way it just has be my Craftsman Snow Blower.

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

I can't pick just one. It's a toss up between my BS and lathe.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

This will probably sound very simplistic, but one of my good ol bench chisels. Having a sharp chisel that cuts clean is a pleasure. I think it's the feel of the chisel and the control used to the wood that makes it a special part of woodworking.

Comment

• Bcrowell
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2007
                    • North Texas
                    • Grizzly

Would have to be my TS with Vega fence system. Being new to WW and not having a large tool collection I have tried to purchase items of good quality for good prices as I find them used.
                    Transplanted Yankee Darksider

Comment

• whitecobra
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
                      • BT3K with most accessories

I am with Cabinetamn on this one
                      If it is hand tools then my chisels are it
                      I have a ton of them all over the shop and use them ALL the time

If we are talking FULL power tools then my table saw is it but if we can narrow it to a part then I am going with my Wixey Table Saw Digital Fence on my BT

I LOVE this toy

Accurate to 1 thousandth and EASY to use

Dr D
                      Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
                      www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• gerti
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Hammer? Nah, I'd have to go with my lathe.

Comment

• lrr
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Fort Collins, Colorado
                          • Ryobi BT-3100

I'd say DeWalt 13" planar. After buying it, I realized how much more I enjoy the tools that I did not scrimp on, and bought the best. I am amazed at how nicely it planes.

I think my BT-3100 is a heck of a saw for the money, but I lust for a big cabinet saw some day. But, I can see keeping it for some operations. Heck, I have 3 routers (after giving one to my son-in-law), so why not two table saws?

I just bought a Powermatic bandsaw, so I may have a new contender. But, it is not set up yet. Still resting from hauling it into my basement ...

Lee

Comment

• Popeye
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2003
                            • Woodbine, Ga
                            • Grizzly 1023SL

My reciprocating saw. Nothing else will do what it will do, where it will do it. And it's hard to top that kid feeling you get when you can destroy something and know you're not gonna get your butt whipped for doing it Pat
                            Last edited by Popeye; 02-20-2007, 03:29 AM.
                            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

The key to the padlock on the Playpen!

Since that's not really a tool...

Hand tools - either of my Stanley block planes. Power - My drum sander.

Rarely do I do a project that doesn't involve these tools.
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...