• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Dreams Right/Left Side Sleeping

I was just reading someone else's post on sleep apnea and it reminded me of something I noticed recently about myself.

If I sleep on my right side, my dreams if any tend to be good and sleeping on the left side tend to be bad or creepy.

I Googled it and found it isn't just me. Anyone else here?
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I had a dream once that I was on a forum...don't remember which side I was on.

The older you get - you feel lucky just to wake up.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by JTimmons
      I was just reading someone else's post on sleep apnea and it reminded me of something I noticed recently about myself.

If I sleep on my right side, my dreams if any tend to be good and sleeping on the left side tend to be bad or creepy.

I Googled it and found it isn't just me. Anyone else here?

Any relation to handedness?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JTimmons
        • Feb 2005
        • Denver, CO.

I am right handed. There have been studies on it and in one of them most people experienced dreams like I have, but they also varied between left and right handed people. The others experienced bad dreams on their right side and good on the left and also varied between right and left handed.

There doesn't seem to be a conclusion as to why it happens, I am just glad I am not the only one. I was beginning to think I had a medical condition.
        "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
        -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• lrogers
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Mobile, AL. USA.
          • BT3000

I've never noticed a difference in dreams, but that is interesting. One thing I have noticed is in flying my model helos. I checked this informally with other pilots and they seem to concur with my observation.
          I'm left handed, but find it much easier to hover looking at the right side of the helo. Hovering, looking at the left side is very difficult for me; harder even than hovering nose in where the control inputs are reversed. My right handed friends report just the opposite, left side easy, right side harder. Amazing the way the brain works, isn't it?!?!
          Larry R. Rogers
          The Samurai Wood Butcher
          http://splash54.multiply.com
          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • IL, USA.
            • DELTA 36-675

I normally don't fall asleep until I turn to my left side facing the outside of the bed. I also have to have pillows under my foot and I have to have a pillow in my arm. Wife sleeps on the right side of the bed. My wife tells me that I talk gibberish and that she would ask me and I would answer in gibberish She also said that I flop around like a whale in the water

Our dog Mango sleeps with us in the bed and he sleeps on his back and his legs are all up in the air. He barks when he is asleep as well.
            Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• JTimmons
              • Feb 2005
              • Denver, CO.

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
              I normally don't fall asleep until I turn to my left side facing the outside of the bed. I also have to have pillows under my foot and I have to have a pillow in my arm. Wife sleeps on the right side of the bed. My wife tells me that I talk gibberish and that she would ask me and I would answer in gibberish She also said that I flop around like a whale in the water

Our dog Mango sleeps with us in the bed and he sleeps on his back and his legs are all up in the air. He barks when he is asleep as well.
              Usually, I cannot sleep until flipping to one side. I lay down on one side and usually got too much going on upstairs at the time, relaxed at one point I flip over and get to sleep. With what I noticed about the dreams I now try to lay on the left and relax before rolling over to the right.

I got to have pillows too, one between my knees. Something that started after a knee injury about 12 years ago, since I started doing that I noticed that my back doesn't hurt as much in the morning. I also talk in my sleep, which kind of concerns me after having some of the dreams I have on the "good" side. Figuring one of these days I will be awaken by a hit in the head w/ a skillet.

We got a lab who burps and most of all snores like a chainsaw.
              -- Johnny Carson

Comment

Working...