• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Mouse Balls

According to snopes.com, th origin is questionable. Possibly a 'real' memo sent out as an insider joke by someone in tech support. Still, some funny reading.

Mouse Balls & Mouse Ball Inspector

If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Units). Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, a replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel. Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist off method.

Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge.

Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I remember reading a variation of that when I started in the geek world about 15 years ago and it's still funny. IIRC, the one I read was from "IBM".
    Joe

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

This must be reported to PETA!

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• gad5264
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Columbus, Ohio, USA
        • BT3000/BT3100NIB

I must have a female mouse, all she has is a bright red light coming out of the bottom of it.
        Grant
        "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Yea, saw this years ago, when dad brought it home from IBM. FRU was a standard term I remember from those days, from my recollection though, someone took a proceedure document, and modified it, to be more funny.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

FRU still is a standard term at IBM. That doc may have originated at IBM -certainly the FRU acronym is still used. I saw it several years ago and it still gives me a chuckle.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Does a "wireless" mouse mean its been neutered?

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

mouse balls?........

I guess that is the reason that most of the mice still have the long tail attached...they haven't bee neutered as yet.........

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Errr.. wireless and 'having balls' have nothing to do with each other. Optical are the 'neutered' ones.

Strange that 'ball' technology is still used. (At my company, all standard issue mice are still mechanical. I was so tired of cleaning gunk out of mine that I bought my own optical mouse)

Comment

Working...