• Show
Clear All
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Florida Storms

Sending well wishes to all of those dealing with this tragedy.

Does anyone know if any of our BT3 family was part of this?
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264
  • gjat
    • Nov 2005
    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
    • BT3100

Actually, Holbren is in close proximity. There's someone else who lives in Sanford that is close to where the tornadoes hit.

We're Floridians and used to chipping in to get things fixed and going again. I think the intensity caught everyone off-guard. We knew we'd be getting a cold front and some rain. This happened last year too, with a slow moving front that brought heavy and severe thunderstorms.

edited because I wrote hurricanes, not tornadoes. Floridians are tough, but we call all bad weather and bad footbal teams Hurricanes.
    Last edited by gjat; 02-03-2007, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• thestinker
      • Oct 2005
      • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Wow....I need to watch more TV. I didn't even know there were any major storms out and about right now.
      Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• MilDoc

Saw that on the news this AM (I go to bed early at my age). I hope any BT3'ers in the area are OK....

Comment

• Holbren
          • Oct 2004
          • Heathrow, FL.

I woke up and it was raining hard but didn't know anyting about a tornado until I heard the news. Really makes you tink, I could have walked outside and half the neighborhood could have been gone.

Rounder is the guy in Sanford you are thinking about, he's next town over.
          Brian
          Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          www.holbren.com

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Originally posted by MilDoc
            Saw that on the news this AM (I go to bed early at my age). I hope any BT3'ers in the area are OK....
            My exact thoughts, word for word. Hope everyone's OK.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

I'll take the Canadian winter over that kind of violent weather anytime. Hope everyone is able to cope.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

After 23 years of living in FL through fires and hurricanes this one made my mother decide to move back north at age 86. She lives in Orange City and said the storm was in the Deland area. If that's accurate she missed it by just a couple of miles. She has her ticket in hand and a realtor hired to dispose of the house. Finally!!!
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by ironhat
                  After 23 years of living in FL through fires and hurricanes this one made my mother decide to move back north at age 86. She lives in Orange City and said the storm was in the Deland area. If that's accurate she missed it by just a couple of miles. She has her ticket in hand and a realtor hired to dispose of the house. Finally!!!
                  The below photo was taken of a risk by one of my employees approximately 25 miles NW of you. Storm date 12/01/06. No fatalities in this loss. Tornadoes occur in PA every year, just not as frequently and severely as southern states.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• JTimmons
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Denver, CO.
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by thestinker
                    Wow....I need to watch more TV. I didn't even know there were any major storms out and about right now.
                    That's funny, all this happened on my days off.

I get back to work, see several emails and notifications on outages and communication traffic congestion for the area, most of which came from individuals in the operations center, that didn't know what was going on. The funny part is, we have huge screens that display CNN and the Weather Channel, no one saw it.

So, don't feel left out, even when it was right in front of some, they didn't see it.

Kind of unexpected for that area this time of year isn't it?
                    Last edited by JTimmons; 02-05-2007, 04:49 AM.
                    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
                    -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• gjat
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                      • BT3100

Florida is NOT known for tornadoes. It is a very rare thing to have tornadoes that can do this kind of damage. When we do get tornadoes, they are usually very small and very limited damage and are spin-offs from thunderstorms. Tornadoes of this magnitude are extremely rare, but that is little consolation for those hit.

In the 40+ years of living here, I don't personally know anyone who has had their house damaged from a tornado. Only one person in my extremely large extended family has even had hurricane damage (tree fell from the soggy ground and wind).

Like living in California, the actual occurence of damage within the entire populace is extremely small. Every other house doesn't get hit by an earthquake, mudslide, or forest fire.

Though, if I was 80+ years old, I would certainly want to live near family or a sure place of help, whether it was for blizzards, tornadoes, earthquakes, or hurricanes. I can't imagine what it's like for New Orleans where the local government has proven to be extremely inept. I heard on the news that in Lake Mary/Paisley that was hit hard, they've already got most of the debris cleaned up, the Red Cross has been feeding the families and volunteers, and almost 100% of the power and utilities have been restored. Volunteers and aid workers have been outstanding and make sure every home has been visited and help given to provide temporay tarps to those unable to do the work themselves. Heck, even AllState, the insurance company, had already established a Response Center and claimed they had visited all known areas of damage to be available for their clients.

Makes me proud to be a Floridian.

Comment

Working...