Alternaties to Norton/McAfee PC Security?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Alternaties to Norton/McAfee PC Security?

My subscription to Norton isabout to expire on my desktop and laptop and I am not too happy with it. Also, I bought a 3 user license and just found out that the subscription period starts when it is first loaded. Didn't have a think about that in the doc or on the box.

I am looking at AVG and also Zone Alarm. AVG has a free version but I have no problem with a subscription as long as I get good protection and it doesn't bog down my system.

Are any of you using the subscription products and are you satisified with them.

I also noticed that Fry's Electronics is selling the packaged version of Zone Alarm and it is almost free after the rebate.

TIA

Ken
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Have you checked with your ISP to see if they offer anything for free? I know in my area Comcast provides McAfee AV free if you have a comcast account. I guess they figure it's cheaper to give away the software than to keep sending out techs to fix computer problems.
    -Joe

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

AVG FREE Version

I used AVG for some months and still had many problems with spyware and trojan horses. While I am now using MCafee and it is better, I am not satisfied with it and will do something else when the subscription expires.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• JSCOOK
        • Sep 2006
        • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Using McAfee Security Suite 2007 and loving it!
        "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

On my exactly one, Windows game box, I use the free Zone Alarm, and AVG. My dad does the same. Anytime he thinks they might have a problem, since they have high speed (I have done this on dial up, PITA), he checks it with one of the free online antivirus programs.

I have exactly one game which requires internet access, otherwise, my Windows machine wouldn't have that access.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Thom2
            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
            • Jan 2003
            • Stevens, PA, USA.
            • Craftsman 22124

Free Zone Alarm and Avast (it's free too) for me, Stan turned me on to Avast and it's worked wonderfully for well over a year now .... I also see that they just rec'd CNET's 5 star award ....

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-wins-...ar-rating.html
            If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The machines in my care ...

... are behind a $50 router with a rudimentary built-in hardware firewall
              ... use Avast anti-virus
              ... are periodically scanned with Spybot S&D and AdAware
              ... run in restricted User mode except when absolutely necessary

That last one is key. In 4-1/2 years, we've had exactly one malware episode, and that's when I did something dumb.

Not much experience with McAfee. I used to use Norton but wised up. Now I won't allow anything with the Symantec name on any of our machines as it is sheer, utter, pure, unadulterated, resource-hogging cr*p.
              Larry

Comment

• jziegler
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Salem, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by ragswl4
                I used AVG for some months and still had many problems with spyware and trojan horses. While I am now using MCafee and it is better, I am not satisfied with it and will do something else when the subscription expires.
                I've been using AVG (paid version) for a couple years now, and have been very happy with it. Like any virus program, it will not catch sypware. You need different software for that (Adaware, and Spybot S&D are the ones that I use, both free).

I hate the way Norton and Mcaffee do business, they always seem pretty sleazy with renewals, making you pay top dollar to renew, better prices sometimes if you buy a new version at the store. They also nag too much.

I don't know if there is a difference between the paid and free AVG versions, I went paid when I was doing commercial work on my PC (working as a consultant for a while) and the free license prohibits that.

Jim

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Zone Alarm (free version) and a free Anti-virus (AVG or Avast) is all you need. The only thing you need to pay for is an anti-spyware. I paid $24 for SpySweeper and could not be happier.

Of course, if you have a router in front of all that with its built-in firewall, you are all the more secure.

And the farther away you stay from McAfee / Norton, the better for your long-term health.
                  Last edited by radhak; 01-31-2007, 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling.
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• tuttlejr
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

I have used a program by Trend Micro for years and have not had any problems. I gave up Norton because it almost took over the computer, was difficult to remove and took up great deal of space.

Trend Micro came with System Suite which had many other valuable programs for your computer. Was very highly regarded.
                    Bob Tuttle

Comment

• JSUPreston
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Montgomery, AL.
                      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I'm with Tuttle, TrendMicro is the best I've used, and I've used a lot of them. It's much better than Symantec, doesn't seem to mess up a system like Symantec does. I used McAfee one time, and they screwed me royally on my subscription, which is why I don't use them or recommend them.

I also make use of Ad-Aware. Used to use Spybot, but it got to where it was missing more than it caught, so out the window it went. When in doubt, I will also make use of the online scanners.
                      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Kerf
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2006

This is what I Use:

Paid NOD32 Anti virus Software/
                        Free Ad- Aware SE
                        Free Zone Alarm

I Also use my Network router's built in firewall.

I has been a good combo for me, I used Symantec (Norton) Products for years, but the last ones I tried Just gave me Headaches .
                        Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! -Rocky Balboa-

Comment

• bigdaddyjohn
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Fort Wayne, IN.
                          • Jet 10" Contractor

I have built several computers and have done a little repair work on the side. I stand behind "ClamWin" anti-virus. It is Open Source so it will never have a cost, is freely distributable, updated daily, free updates forever. The Open Souce Community is a valuable assest. Please try the software. You will not be disappointed. In fact, I no longer use no will I install, M$ Office, Norton AV, McAfee, etc. If there is an Open Source version of software, you really owe it to yourself to try it. What is the worst that can happen? It works and it is free.

There is no adware, subliminal messages, spam or other junk inserted into these programs. I use OpenOffice everyday and am completely happy with it. Recently, I went through Union Contract negotiations and exchanged proposals via "USB Thumbdrives" directly with the attorneys who were using M$ Word/Office suite without them even knowing I didn't use the same software as them. Flawless and seamless.

bigdaddyjohn

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Liberty, SC, USA.
                            • Ridgid TS3650

If you are using Windows, I'm suggesting trying Windows Live Onecare. It has AV and Spyware protection all in one. I used Norton and McAfee for years and got fed up with the high renewals and Norton taking over the machine. Then used AVG free and retail both of which worked well, but I was still stuck with having to get Spyware protection.
                            Onecare is integrated with the Windows Firewall, does at least daily updates and includes automatic (scheduled) PC maintenance, like defragging.
                            It cost around $40 max and is licensed for up to 3 PC's. They have a free trial period if one wants to evaluate it.
                            ken

Comment

• Sam Conder
                              Woodworker Once More
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Midway, KY
                              • Delta 36-725T2

+1 for the Avast Free edition. I was an AVG loyal until I tried Avast.

I can also attest to the quality of TrendMicro's products as we rely on their OfficeScan product to protect our 6000+ desktops here at work. Our 500+ servers are running McAfee as it is provided to us free by our state department of education.
                              Sam Conder
                              BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...