• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

American Idol Observation

As soon as LOML falls asleep I will change the channel but...

The good singers are all the normal looking people. Everyone who has a costume/shtick or just looks plain weird can't sing.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I don't watch that one because its on Tuesday night and I bowl on that night so I have never watched it. But from the commercials of it I think your right David.
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Don't watch the show, or much TV at all, wastes tooooo much time. If you are a good at singing, why do you need a costume??!! Your voice should say it all. If your doing comedy, well that is a different story.

I hire acts for our local fair, I'm the Entertainment Chairperson. I normally spend more time watching the crowd then I do watching the act. You can gain more info on how good they are! Just because you may or may not like them, or the type of music they play/sing, what does everyone else think!?

I will sit and listen to them with my back to them, it helps cut out visual effects. If they are an act that uses visual effects as their routine (part comedy act), then that is different.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Of course, with American Idol, it seems to be more about the look than the singing, at least from the clips that I've seen. And from the commericials, many of the singers that they love, I think are awful. And some that they hate I think aren't too bad. My wife, a classically trained singer, says that most of them use poor technique that will destroy their voices in a short time.

Other than it being pretty cheap to make, I still wonder why there are so many shows of this type right now....

Jim

Comment

• Tundra_Man
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

My wife is an "Idol Addict", so I've indirectly seen quite a bit of the show (although I usually have a book in front of me at the time.)

I find it an amusing irony that the guy who sings the "Had A Bad Day" song at the end of each show, wouldn't stand a chance if he were a contestant.

Some of the biggest icons in music wouldn't make it past the audition for this show, which tells me how worthless the show is in discovering real talent. Can you see what Simon would say to Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, etc?
          Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

there are exceptions. I think it was last week that this guy came on that looked like a hermit/hippy Long hair and beard down to his chest. He actually has a very good voice and they sent him on.

Given his appearance I don't think anyone thought he could actually sing. The "judges" were noticably surprised.

I don't like Idol too much. I think they do alot of what they do (especially in the early episodes) just for ratings. In my opinion Nashville Star is MUCH better in terms of talent and appeal. But that's just me.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

I wonder where they find some of those people...

"Everyone loves my singing.." uuuuugh

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

But I think there are few other ways people get an advantage (besides the obvious of actually having singing talent). You ever notice though that many of the people with the hard luck stories get a big advantage. There was a girl who skipped school and lied to her dad about going to the audition because he didn't support her. At best she had a mediocre audition, but she got through. You guys are right in that this has less to do with singing contest but more of a popularity contest. (which includes a good story, looks, etc)
                Last edited by jussi; 01-25-2007, 06:54 PM.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Copiague, New York, USA.

T.V. is called a medium, because it is neither rare, or well done!!!!!!!!
                  It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• TB Roye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

I can't stand those programs. I have a TV in my den/computer room/fish room to watch Discovery, History, TLC, National Geographic channel along with Speed and ESPN. Besides I have more important things to do, like play the Song Game

Tom

Comment

Working...