• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

XP Explorer Mystery Object

I just noticed a strange ... something ... in the lower right corner of the XP Explorer window:

Here's a larger view:

It's always there when the Explorer window is maximized; if the window isn't maximized, I can use the scroll bars to bring it into view. I don't see this with any other program.

Anyone else seeing this thing? Anyone know what it represents?
    Larry
  • DaveW
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • So Cal.

I believe that's supposed to be an indicator of the general type of file in the folder. For example, I think if you have mostly movies (mpg/avi/etc) in the folder, you'll get one icon, and if you have images (eg gif/jpg/etc), you'll get a different icon.

Somewhat similar to - when I plug my digital camera in, it automatically prompts me - "you have pictures - do you want to start viewing them?" and I say "h*ll no - don't decide for me!"

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

I'm thinking that the parinoids are out to get you! It must be a consipiricy started by Dell! I don't have one and I don't even have scoll bars on my Windows explorer.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I've never seen that before. It is not on any of my XP machines here.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back

Dave, it looks like you're onto something there. I now see that I only get that particular object in the root directory of my C: drive. (Why doesn't it show up for the root dirs of network drives? That seems odd.) When I click on the main Program Files folder, it changes to a musical note. (Oh, sure, right. THAT makes a lot of sense.)

As for that automatic prompting stuff ... yeah, there's a fine line between "helpful" and "annoying," isn't there? No, wait, I'm wrong ... on further review, it's ALWAYS annoying, even when it guesses right.
          Larry

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Larry,

Not to scare you but I'm a little paranoid about unexplained things on my computers. Computers is my job and I am very careful about I what put on them. I'd break out the anti-virus, spam, malware, etc scanners, checked running processes, etc. Boot into safe mode and see if the icon shows up. I'd also rummage online and see if you can figure out what this thing is.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• TheRic
              • Jun 2004
              • West Central Ohio
              • bt3100

Larry, I'm with Crokett on this one. I us Windows XP Explorer all the time (not full screen that much) and I have never seen anything like that before.
              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back

Same here, David, which is why I posted my inquiry here within minutes of noticing this thing for the first time. I've recently done all that you suggest (scans, virus updates, etc) except for booting into safe mode; I'll do that a bit later today, when I do my usual weekly housekeeping. I'm not too concerned since I always run in non-administrator mode except when absolutely necessary, like when updating Windows itself.

Also, since replying to Dave, I have found that the mystery object does indeed come and go, and change, depending on the basic contents of the folder. So I think it's a benign Windows "feature." Still, I'm going to investigate until I'm fully satisfied: as you say, you can't be too careful.
                Larry

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back

Okay, it does appear to be an indicator of the principal file type (DaveW's theory). It's linked to the "Customize This Folder" feature. Someone please try this:

Launch Windows Explorer

Select any user-data folder (i.e., not the root, not Program Files; anything else)

Click View, Customize This Folder

From the topmost drop-down list, select "Pictures (best for many files)" and click Apply. Do you see the mystery object in my OP?

Then change the setting to any of the "Music" choices ... you should now see a musical note.

Finally, select "Videos" and you should see the end of a film strip.

If others can confirm this behavior, I'll start breathing again ...
                  Larry

Comment

Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • League City, Tx, USA.
                    • BT3100

I have never seen it nor can I find it on the machine I'm writing this from. However I do try to make any XP machine I am on look as much like win2k as I can.

Edit: Tried what you asked and I still couldn't get it to show up.
                    Last edited by 25; 01-19-2007, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Larry, I tried it on my music folder and lo and behold a musical note showed up! So I guess you are safe.
                      David

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by crokett
                        Larry, I tried it on my music folder and lo and behold a musical note showed up! So I guess you are safe.
                        Or your PC is infected with the conspiricy virus too!
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• TheRic
                          • Jun 2004
                          • West Central Ohio
                          • bt3100

It didn't appear for me. Tried it on a couple of directories, and settings. Must have to have a certain setting set for it to work.
                          Ric

Comment

• LarryG
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2004
                            • Off The Back

Originally posted by TheRic
                            It didn't appear for me. Tried it on a couple of directories, and settings. Must have to have a certain setting set for it to work.
                            Under Tools, Folder Options, General tab, see if you have "Use Windows classic folders" selected. If so, change it to "Show common tasks in folders" and that should make the object appear.

I now dimly recall changing this setting a week or so ago, when I was trying to figure out if there was a way to customize multiple folders at once, instead of having to do each one individually (apparently, the latter is the only way). That would explain why I never noticed the mystery object until now.
                            Larry

Comment

• TheRic
                              • Jun 2004
                              • West Central Ohio
                              • bt3100

I tried it both ways. Figured you didn't have yours set for classic, most people don't, I always change mine to basic settings. I don't like all that extra stuff, just slows things down. I want my basic settings to get stuff done, maybe I'm too old school.

Just tried again with a few other setting changes, didn't work. Which is fine with me!!
                              Ric

Comment

Working...