Clear All
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • League City, Tx, USA.
    • BT3100

Craftsman Carve

Anyone see the comercial for this yet?

Craftsman Carve

Happy to see someone finally taking notice into the hobby CNC area.
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

"It allows a novice to make a complete project without a shop full of tools"

Management needs a word with that copy writer.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• dick541
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2004
      • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
      • BT3100

Since I am a tool maker and run a 2 and 3 axes mill all week I ordered one from sears last week and picked it up Saturday evening, made arangments to return it within a month if I did not like it.

It seems like a decent machine so far. Had some trouble getting the software to work on LOML's computer, but it went right into my latop. Did a little playing around with it today and tried a small sign. Went to the compucarve and had my sign within 15 min. Only 4 letters 1 1/2 inch high. worked great.
      Attached Files

Comment

• thestinker
        • Oct 2005
        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I saw this today as a matter of fact, and was going to post about it. It looks like a really cool toy, but since all I would do with is goof off carving what not...almost 1900.00$ is more than I can toss at it.
        Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by dick541
          Since I am a tool maker and run a 2 and 3 axes mill all week I ordered one from sears last week and picked it up Saturday evening, made arangments to return it within a month if I did not like it.

It seems like a decent machine so far. Had some trouble getting the software to work on LOML's computer, but it went right into my latop. Did a little playing around with it today and tried a small sign. Went to the compucarve and had my sign within 15 min. Only 4 letters 1 1/2 inch high. worked great.
          Would love to see an example of something where the wood is above the surface instead of carved in like a router could do.
          Like the letters raised . How is it to design? Like if those letters were raised how far our could you or would you have to go.
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• whitecobra
            Established Member
            • Aug 2006
            • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
            • BT3K with most accessories

If you want to play with the software before you buy it go to

CarveWright makes innovative CNC systems for all levels of users. Check out our current RAVEN CNC with its feedthrough design.

They actually OWN the machine and are labeling it for Sears

You can download a fully working version of the software and play with it

I did it is VERY neat
            Looking to see as was requested what a sign or design looks like with the back removed and the art work left proud

I want to carve a sign of a photo that I made into a design on the software

Now I want to see first how long it will take to carve AND how nice it will look

Maybe our lone owner can post some more photos for us to see
            15 minutes for the letters seems LONG if in fact the design was large it could take hours

How noisy is this during the project?

Are there different bits and if so does the machine ask for them as it determines the need or do you need to provide it during design and set up

Dr D
            Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
            www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• jhart
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

They show a video on the web site. Pretty slick looking unit. When I get an extra $1800, I may pick one up Will probably be a long wait though
              Joe
              "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• bmyers
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2003
                • Fishkill, NY
                • bt 3100

carvewright

I've had one for a while under another name, Carvewright. It can do a great many things, but it's not a replacement for all your TS's, BS's etc.. It does do some impressive routing though.. Here is a clock face I made..

You may have to go here to see it --> http://billswood.blogspot.com

It's a pretty cool little tool. For what is does, it's not a bad price really for entry level CNC stuff..

Bill
                "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• whitecobra
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
                  • BT3K with most accessories

How did you get the dark color on the light wood?

Is it wood burned?

EXCELLENT work
                  Liked the thickness sander as well. Have seen it floating around the net but none as well done as yours.

How wide is yours?

Dr D
                  Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
                  www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• boblon
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Florida, USA.

Dang, I WANT one of those things.

Of course, I don't have 2 grand to drop on one.

Time to start saving my pennies, by the time I save that many pennies maybe they will have on to sell.

Oh well, sure looks like a neat toy, but for me that's all it would be, a toy.

BobL.
                    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• bmyers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Fishkill, NY
                      • bt 3100

First I did the board glue-up and ran that thru the drum sander. The carvewright likes smooth flat boards, no cupping allowed.

The I ran it thru the carvewright (compucarve).

Then stained it. Then ran it thru the drum sander again which took the high points of stain off and left the recesses stained.

It's pretty noisy, at least as loud as a BT3100. BUT, you don't stand there while it's carving, I let it run in the shop by itself. I go in every 20 minutes or so to clear chips and make sure things are running ok.

Hard not to want to watch it do it's thing at first though but that feeling will pass. Kind of like watching paint grow...

I've used a V-90 groove bit in there from another manufacturer, it worked ok. As long as it's a profile and size that the machine is aware of, you should have no problem using it. It will prompt you when it wants a different bit. It comes with 2 bits, 1/8" straight and the "carving bit".

You select what bit to carve with what using the software. There are different carving techniques for different bits.

I found this unit used and traded "up" for it with some other woodworking tools. Lucky for me, I'd never afford it otherwise.

Here is an example of artwork you can buy for it. This ended up being a box joint napkin holder for the dinner table.

I'll post more projects later. Don't have time to cator to the crippled jpg's of the forum right now.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by bmyers; 01-15-2007, 02:42 PM.
                      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• dick541
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2004
                        • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
                        • BT3100

Thanks bymers;
                        You took the words right out of my mouth so I don't need to say it again. Yes it is louder than my planner. Have only done that quick sign to see it work before I had to leave for the week. Will try to make something better this next weekend. May try a similer sign but in reverse with raised letters.
                        You have some nice work there, hope I can do as good someday.

dick

Comment

Working...