• Show
Clear All
  • tuttlejr
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

Item from The Denver Post

Snopes says this was false.
    Last edited by tuttlejr; 01-09-2007, 11:05 AM.
    Bob Tuttle
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I wonder if the Denver Post realized this could be perceived as a political statement? Nah!

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Veramacor
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2006
      • Macomb Twp, Mich
      • BT3100

How many people died in the snow storms? (Katrina well over 1000)

How many people lost their homes in the snow storms? (Katrina tens of thousands)

Over a quarter of a MILLION people were displaced because of Katrina. Now I'm not saying that when the snow melts people will not be displaced in CO, but I'm guessing that their homes are still livable.

There is simply no comparison to what happened in Colorado and what happened in New Orleans.

Attached is a typical Katrina waste pile. This is one of several throughout New Orleans. Show me the waste piles from Colorado after the thaw please.
      Attached Files
      Rule #1: Never worry about the little things.
      Rule #2: EVERYTHING is a little thing.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Has anyone checked this with Snopes.com?
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dlminehart
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • San Jose, CA, USA.

44" of snow = about 7" of water. Some areas of Louisiana experienced storm surges of 25' (300") of water. In Colorado, hundreds of motorists were stranded briefly in their cars, while in Louisiana tens of thousands lost homes and were forced to relocate to other states. These events are of drastically different scales, like comparing a modest drizzle to the Colorado blizzard. "****, in our drizzle we didn't even need rain gear, let alone police helping get food to people!"

In both of these times and places, state national guard contingents and equipment that historically have been available for just such emergencies were away on missions increasingly seen by a great majority of Americans as futile and counterproductive. Let's hope no other place in the US gets a Katrina-sized event any time soon!
          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
            Has anyone checked this with Snopes.com?

Yes. Several times. It is false. I am too lazy to link to it again. Last week it was somebody up in Nebraska who supposedly said it.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JTimmons
              • Feb 2005
              • Denver, CO.
              • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

No need for Snopes, I live here, it wasn't that bad!

He says from the Central part of Colorado, last weeks snow wasn't that bad for the Central portion, the Eastern part got hit pretty hard, but nothing compared to Katrina.

I'd like to see a link to this if you still got it.

Edit:
              Actually thinking about it now, the drift on the front of my house was 41" on the big one we got 3 weeks ago, much of the surrounding area was between 2 and 3 feet and it stopped things for about a day, depending on the area 2 days. Hardly anything compared to Katrina.
              Last edited by JTimmons; 01-08-2007, 04:49 PM.
              "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
              -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Actually there's a far easier way than checking snopes.com to determine the veracity of stuff like this. It is:

If you learn about it via a forwarded email, it's false.

(I'm quite serious. I have yet to have a single thing of this nature emailed to me that didn't turn out to be 100% Pure USDA Certified bullcrap.)
                Larry

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

since i had not read it before, i did find it interesting to check snopes :

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/soapbox/dakota.asp

interesting that this is from Oct 2005.
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by LarryG
                    If you learn about it via a forwarded email, it's false.

(I'm quite serious. I have yet to have a single thing of this nature emailed to me that didn't turn out to be 100% Pure USDA Certified bullcrap.)
                    Are you telling me the snake that was born with a human head wasn't real?

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• lcm1947
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Austin, Texas
                      • BT 3100-1

So Cabinetman are you saying that not every single word from the internet is true? You might want to be careful spreading rumors and lies around like that.
                      May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• MilDoc

The Internet --- best place to confirm as true any fact you want!

Comment

Working...