X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cpritchard
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2006

Parking Brake???

Everyone here is very smart and knowledgable and I wanted to see if any had has any answers to this:

This morning, I disengaged my parking brake on my standard 96 Mazda B3000 and the pedal came out as usual, but the brakes did not release. Is this easy to fix myself???
    Chris
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I don't know if this will help, but from my limited knowledge of "parking brakes" I've had on different vehicles, they were just a cable type system on the rear wheels that were not part of the general hydraulic system for the whole car's braking system.

If you look under the rear wheels you might see a cable and a lever arm of some sort, that may operate a friction system for either drum brakes or discs. More than likely (on my vehicles anyway) there were spring assemblies that got taught when the pedal was pushed or a lever pulled. Then when it is released, the spring pulls back on the device releasing it.

Sounds like yours is not releasing. You may try releasing the brake, and back up a few feet and see if they release. If not check out the assemblies at the rear wheels.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

How cold is it where you live? When I lived in Alaska, I rarely used the PB during the winter because the shoes could and would freeze to the wheel drums.
      Larry

Comment

• cpritchard
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2006

It did get past freezing last night and was 31 when I tried to leave today.
        Chris

Comment

• cpritchard
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2006

Just had LOML check again now that temps are above freezing (45 ) and it is still stuck. I will go home today and check cables.
          Chris

Comment

• rg32
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Barre, Vermont, USA.

Hi Chris

Do you set the your emergency brake on regular basis?
            From years experience
            I would give everything a good soaking with WD 40 waiting for it to penetrate and then try and working it free.
            Good luck

Comment

• cpritchard
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2006

Yes I use my parking brake all the time. I will try WD as well
              Chris

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

94 Ranger 2.3, sister vehicle

There was a recall on the parking brakes on em a few years back. They don't always engage (I believe it was jumping the track at the pedal), there was a shim fix.

That said, I have had parking brake issues on various vehicles. On one vehicle, the release lever pulled, and released the pedal, but the brake release handle, has a cable which broke under the dash (it had a metal ball which sheared off the cord, so the cord pulled out).
                On another vehicle, I had the cable rust out where it bolted to the cables to the rear wheels (at the Y).
                Other than that, I also have had a frozen cable and in only one case, frozen release, in the drums (vehicle had sat a while, had to rock it to break loose the rust, this one shouldn't be it at all).
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cpritchard
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2006

My parking brake is fixed now. Thanks for all the tips! We had a lot of rain on Friday (the last time I used the truck) and I never park in the back but I did that day (uphill). A friend of mine came over and said that those two factors probably caused rusting and the parking brake to cease. He tapped the drums with a hammer and shook the truck back and forth until it finally released.
                  Chris

Comment

• dick541
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2004
                    • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
                    • BT3100

I NEVER use the parking brake on ANY car, They are a waste unless you are always on a steep hill. I had a 1956 ford sedan that frose up on me back in the 60's, it took 3 hours to free them up. NEVER AGAIN. If any one uses any of my cars I tell them NOT to us the parking brake. Put in park and forget it.
                    Even when I put it on blocks or ramps, I will not use the pb.
                    dick

Comment

Working...