• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

New Year Resolutions

First I would like to take this opprotunity to wish everyone on this forum, their family, including in-laws and all the pets, a happy and safe new year. Personally, I've enjoyed the forum and the people. You all are a very respectable bunch. You share your knowledge, fun times and tragedies. Thank you. Thought I'd start early and be the first one.

But, with only a few days left in this year, what are your new years' resolutions. Not too much time left to think about it. Maybe if anyone replies to this it will give us some thought for ours.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats
  • Otter
    • Nov 2003
    • Cumming, GA, USA.
    • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

I made one years ago and have kept it ever since......Never to make another New Year Resolution.

Happy New Year.........................
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• lrr
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Fort Collins, Colorado
      • Ryobi BT-3100

My New Year's Resolution -- put some wear on all the tools I acquired this past year -- seems like I didn't generate nearly as much sawdust as I desired.

And I hope that means posting a few pics of all my completed projects!

Best wishes to all, especially the men and women serving our great country.
      Lee

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

That was a nice post, Cabinetman. And you hit the nail squarely on the head. From NW Indiana, a wish to everyone for an enjoyable, safe, and healthy New Year.

New Year's resolution? I don't usually make 'em, but I'm gonna make one this year. It's to make something that is actually good looking instead of simply being functional.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• parnelli
          • Aug 2004
          • bt3100

I couldn't put it any better...
          Attached Files

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I second what Otter said! To add my .02; a very Happy New Year and a healthy and productive 2007. Can't be all bad, after a green Christmas we have got a "white-4"+" New Year. Best of the best to all whom I consider my buddies-and thats everyone who post here!
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

I never seriously did the resoultion thing. One I'd like to make is to spend more time on the forum. Don't tell my wife.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• Salty
                • Feb 2006
                • Akron, Ohio

Thanks Cabinetman.
                And Happy New Year to all.

I don't generally make reolutions but just this once........
                I resolve to not cut off any more fingers than I did in 2006.
                And, since I still have 8 of them, I should be OK.................Na, the other 2 are thumbs................and they are still there as well.
                Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• bigsteel15
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Edmonton, AB
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Best of the seaon to all from me as well.
                  Haven't been here alot lately but my resolution is to clean up my shop.
                  Seems like everytime I go out there to start cleaning and finishing the wiring, insulation, sheeting, etc., the darned lathe stares me down saying "turn me, turn me"...So I give in everytime.
                  I think I've spent over the cost of my lathe on associated tools since mid November...Resolution #2...stop spending more than I make at LV, at LV.
                  Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                  Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• TheRic
                    • Jun 2004
                    • West Central Ohio
                    • bt3100

I haven't thought about a New Year resolution yet. Heck got plenty of time it's only 11:35 PM. Got a whole 25 minutes to go, plenty of time to think about it. Well that is if I'm not busy reading and responding to posts on here.
                    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Handy Al
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Worthington, OH, USA.
                      • BT3100

Happy New Year to All!. My only resolution is the leatn how to handcut dovetails. Brought a saw. Need to sharpen the chisels. Now to make the time.
                      "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• maxparot
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I resolved last year to not make New Years resolutions that I won't keep. So I've made none since and am keeping the last one.
                        Opinions are like gas;
                        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • Minneapolis, MN
                          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I guess my New Year's resolution would be a continuation of a goal I had previous to the new year- loose weight. I'm down to about 325 from nearly 390 pounds. Want to get to 310 by the end of Jan, and then 260 by June.

Other than that, I'd like to finish up more work at my house, and complete my workshop so I can work in it, not on it.

Comment

• jseklund
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2006

Happy New Year to everyone. I've been a non-poster for about a month now. The holidays have been taking up all of my time, so I'm sorry for the delay in wishing everyone the best.

This past year I have taken up the new hobby of woodworking, which I could NOT have even begun without the help of everyone here. This year I hope to learn even more about the skill and give back some of the knowledge to the people who helped me and to others who come along the way.

As far as resolutions, I am going to take some time tonight and figure out what I really want for these. I'm not going to focus on the big changes, but I've decided that big changes come as a result of habit over time. I want to figure out what these big changes are and then resolve to adopt habits that will move me in that direction. Even if I get 5 new habits, I figure I'll be doing well.

For instance, I need to lose about 70 pounds. I decided to create a habit of working out for just 20 minutes every morning when I wake up. I've lost 15 pounds so far of the approx. 85 that I had to lose. I want to resolve to strengthen this habit so that it becomes a true habit- like brushing my teeth.

I also want to resolve to be more proactive in my saving- ie save 10% of everything I make, give 10% to charity, etc.

These may already be habits some of you have, and others of you would not desire these habits, but I think the key is to adopt habits that move you towards your goal, and not expect to achieve the goal miraculously (which is something I've done in the past, and even been successful at).
                            F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• kwgeorge
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Alvin, TX, USA.

I only made 1 resolution and so far I have kept it. I started this resolution early though on Christmas Eve instead of waiting for the New Year. So, after 30 plus years of being a smoker I have quit.

Ken

Comment

Working...