• Show
Clear All
  • Howard
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Plano, Tx.
    • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

Just got back from a quick flight

It is a beautiful fall day here in Dallas, no clouds, very little wind, 70 deg. Perfect. So I grabbed my 91 year old father in law and took him on an hour long flight around N. Texas in a Cessna. He has Alzheimer's so he won't remember it but he sure had a great time! He lost his wife of 65 years three weeks ago but fortunately, he doesn't have any recollection of it. We were told by the local Alzheimer's Association to keep him thinking she is still around but at the hospital or something. That way, he won't have relive her passing every five minutes (that's how often he asks where she is). He didn't want to go at first as he says he didn't want to be a bother but I insisted and he was glad he went. It was fun for me as well. I just had to remind him not to put his feet on the rudder pedals!
    Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
    - Mark Twain
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Sounds like you did something very nice. Who know he might remember something about the flight. You did the right thing. Alzheimers scare me worse the cancer. At least with cancer you have a fighting chance.

Tom

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

That was as great thing to do for someone like that. Maybe he lives for whatever is happening right now, but you won't regret you gave that to him, even if he doesn't remember it.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Howard
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Plano, Tx.

It's a strange disease. He can remember things that happened 80 years ago like it was yesterday but has absolutely no short term memory. He had forgotten about my mother-in-laws memorial service 10 minutes after it was over. Talking to him, he doesn't know a thing about current events (like many of us more able minded types), doesn't know what day or year it is, couldn't tell you who is the president (many would like to forget) but he can sure carry on a conversation like nothing is wrong. Took him to the woodworking show this last weekend and he had a ball yakking away with all the old timers hanging around. By the time we got home, he didn't even remember being there! Kinda makes you wonder, would you rather have a sharp mind and have your body go (Lou Gehrigs) or have your body be fine and have your mind go? Can you imagine the living he** Stephen Hawkings lives? To horrible to imagine, for me...
        Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I don't know..waking up to a new world every day might prove to be interesting!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

Howard that was a really cool thing you did. He might not remember it, but I bet you will!!

Not sure which is worse losing the mind or the body. I have seen both, don't like either one. But then there are some people who do more with less. They don't even think about / know about what they are missing. I guess it's all how you look at it. Are you down, because you no longer have it, or are you up because what you still have.
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Howard
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Plano, Tx.

Well, I have my own demise all planned out... Getting shot by an jealous husband when I'm 105!!!
              Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                Bandsaw Box Momma
                • Apr 2005
                • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Originally posted by Howard
                Well, I have my own demise all planned out... Getting shot by an jealous husband when I'm 105!!!
                Well in my case it will be a jealous wife, because with the females in our family and the lives they have lived, one great grandmother was 103 when she passed and she had Alheizmers, and my other great grandmother is 103 now and is sharp as a tack. Although she is starting to forget things but we keep telling her at her age its okay to forget some things.

Howard I applaud you for taking your FIL for a ride. And like it has been said he might remember it down the road but more importantly YOU will remember it and that he had fun while being with you.
                Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

SOme of life's rewards are realized in the hereafter. Dad*will* remember *then* what you do for him *now*.
                  Blessings on ya,
                  Chiz
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• Hoyden
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2005
                    • Twin Falls, ID, USA.

My wife and I took care of her father when he had Alzheimer's a number of years ago. I appricate what you are going through. Just the moments enjoyment for him is great.
                    PawPaw

Comment

• HarmsWay
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Victoria, BC
                      • BT3000

My FIL who lives in town has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's for about two years now, although it's pretty clear now that he was affected long before that. He transitioned fairly quickly through the long term memory capabilities, so along with only about 30 seconds of short term memory he also has very spotty long term memory. He grew up in London during the war then moved to Canada in his late 20's and has no recollection at all of England. He doesn't know who we are when we visit except that he "knows" us. We are familiar.

However, when something out of the ordinary happens (like Howard's great trip or even a trip to some place new and unusual), he'll remember something happened. He'll remember none of the physical details but will remember the emotions for weeks.

My mother was diagnosed last year. She lives half way across the country so I don't see her that often. She sounds worse every time I talk to her so now I'm afraid to call her on the phone. I'll get to spend some quality time with her after Christmas.

Bob

Comment

• Howard
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Plano, Tx.

Bob,
                        My FIL is also starting to forgot some of the longer term memories as well but thankfully it's been slow in coming. We think at some deeper level he knows his wife passed away but he can't put his finger on it. We try to shield him from reminders but a sympathy card slipped through his caretaker's watch and he was very upset like it had just happened. An hour later, no recollection. I'm sure I'll take him up again when the weather is good and it will be interesting to see if the memory comes back at all when he climbs in.
                        Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

- Mark Twain

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

You're a good man Howard. My mom passed with demensia in Nov. of 05 after having to move her in a my house 3 years before. The good news was she taugh and square danced 3 days a week till she was 90 at the senior citizens club. The bad news is she developed demensia that last year and in essence she was no longer my mom, but just a person whose spirit and soul had already moved on and a human shell left behind.

Enjoy him while you can...

Highest regards to you and your dad!

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Way to go, Howard. I read you post with both sadness and joy. My FIL passed away almost 5 years ago with the same illness. We were buddies to the end, and I have terrific memories of him.

Your thoughtfulness was most kind,

CWS
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...