• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

"Red Dawn" The Movie

Red Dawn, the movie was on TV this AM, and I've seen it a couple of times. A very intense movie IMO. It came out 15-16 years before Sept. 11th, and even the first time I saw it, it was a wake up call. I was already out of the Army for about 14 years when I first saw the movie, and my thoughts throughout were "you do what you gotta do".

So I watched it again today and I was very moved. Not to sound political, but to me it really showed patriotism, and heroism.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Hmmmmm....Don't know how to put this tactfully.....

While I root for the Good Guys in this movie, my being a performing arts type person makes me giggle at the really bad acting at times. Neither Patrick Swayze nor Jennifer Grey strike me as being top-tier actors.

All that said, it's an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. Just not a film I'd pay to see....

(Here's where I REALLY get flamed) I feel the same way about Adam Sandler. I won't pay to see his films, and I change the channel if I happen across one on the TV.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by gsmittle
      Hmmmmm....Don't know how to put this tactfully.....

While I root for the Good Guys in this movie, my being a performing arts type person makes me giggle at the really bad acting at times. Neither Patrick Swayze nor Jennifer Grey strike me as being top-tier actors.

All that said, it's an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. Just not a film I'd pay to see....

(Here's where I REALLY get flamed) I feel the same way about Adam Sandler. I won't pay to see his films, and I change the channel if I happen across one on the TV.

g.
      I was referring to the storyline

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• jspelbring
        Established Member
        • Nov 2004
        • Belleville, IL, USA.
        • Craftsman 22114

Sandler

So, I'm not the only one. He irritates me.
        To do is to be.

Comment

• Warren
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Anchorage, Ak
          • BT3000

I never saw it. The advertising for it talked about it as the first invasion of America. I seem to remember the Brits burning Washington DC and an invasion of Alaska during WW II. Figured the movie would be as bad as the research.
          A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• tung tied
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2006

Note from yesterday's Wikipedia post concerning the anniversary of Saddam Hussein's capture in the "spider hole".

Operation Red Dawn was a military operation conducted by the United States armed forces on December 13, 2003 in the small town of ad-Dawr in Iraq, near Tikrit. The operation resulted in the capture of the country's former president Saddam Hussein, and put to rest rumours of his death. The operation, and its two main checkpoints, were named for the 1984 film Red Dawn.

The operation was assigned to the 1st Brigade Combat Team of the U.S. Army's 4th Infantry Division, the Raider Brigade. 600 soldiers participated, including cavalry, engineers, artillery, air support, and special forces, under the overall command of Colonel James Hickey of the 4th Infantry Division.

Saddam shortly after capture.Soldiers entered two sites (codenamed Wolverine 1 and Wolverine 2) outside the village of ad-Dawr but failed initially to find Saddam. A subsequent cordon and search operation found the fugitive leader hiding in a so-called "spider hole" at a small mud-walled compound. He was taken into custody at 20:30 local time. He was armed with a pistol, but offered no resistance during his capture. The soldiers also found two AK-47 rifles, US$750,000 in $100 bills, Mars bars, and a white and orange taxicab[1]. Two Iraqis, believed to be Saddam's former cook Qais Namuk and his brother, were also taken into custody. Saddam was later moved to an undisclosed location as soldiers continued to search the area.

The name of the operation, Red Dawn, apparently comes from the title of a 1984 film directed by John Milius, in which a group of American teenagers band together to commit sabotage and other guerrilla attacks in their Colorado town against invading Soviet forces. The teenagers, whose leader was portrayed by a young Patrick Swayze, called themselves the "Wolverines" — the name given to the targets of the U.S. forces in ad-Dawr. Several pundits have made note of the wry irony that the namesake of the operation was a movie relating the story of insurgents fighting against an occupying invading force. Major Brian Reed, the officer who wrote up the Op Order for the mission, and named it, said that there was no connection whatsoever with the film.

Comment

• WoodButcher26
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Dayton, OH

While the acting was pretty bad, i agree, it was one of the first movies I remember where the spoken Russian matched the subtitles. Often (especially in older films) they have no relation to each other--maybe doesn't sound Russian enough, if that makes any sense?
              Measure it with a micrometer...
              Mark it with a crayon...
              Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

Working...