• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I can't beleive we went through this whole thread and no one mentioned the gription rule.
    Lee

Comment

Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • League City, Tx, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by Russianwolf
      and if we dropped a bullet on the conveyor, what impact would it have? and how fast would it be traveling afterwards?
      Is the bullet perpendicular or parrell to the motion of the coneyor?

Comment

• backpacker85
        Established Member
        • Sep 2006
        • Dickson, TN
        • BT3100-1

My head hurts just reading all of this, but I STILL stand by my last decision.....it depends on the assumptions made in the original statement.

As stated in response #55, ..if the plane isn't moving, neither is the conveyor!!

What am I missing here????
        Ken W.

Comment

• MilDoc

OK folks try this answer for size:

or

or Google

airplane + "conveyor belt" and read to your hearts content.....

Comment

• bigfoot
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2006

OK

enough is WAY too much

Yesterday I read a message signed like this:

mpc
            Level 5 Engineer - Senior Principal Engineer/Scientist
            Aerodynamics, Stability & Control, Flying Qualities, and Simulation
            Boeing (formerly McDonnell-Douglas)

Now, today I see at least 20 messages trying to contradict this person, and yet he makes how much to know this stuff, and the rest make how much to make nonesense?

I freekin give up... I was POSITIVE the plane would not move, I am a stubborn swamp yankee by birth, and even I saw the light.

The plane will fly.. period...
            The voices made me do it.

Comment

• mpc
              • Feb 2005
              • Cypress, CA, USA.
              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Okay, I feel safe replying again. It's amazing how fast this thread grew from when I last logged in...

Yesterday I read a message signed like this:

mpc
              Level 5 Engineer - Senior Principal Engineer/Scientist
              Aerodynamics, Stability & Control, Flying Qualities, and Simulation
              Boeing (formerly McDonnell-Douglas)
              I was rather tired (late night sessions in the simulators knocking me totally off schedule) when I posted that; later I realized it looks like I'm trying to say "I'm the world's expert on this so listen to me and shut up" which wasn't my intent. I would have edited it out but others had already quoted it. I apologize to anybody that I offended or annoyed.

Now, today I see at least 20 messages trying to contradict this person, and yet he makes how much to know this stuff, and the rest make how much to make nonesense?
              How much do I make? Not enough. haha.

Niki - for that El-Al crash, the circumstances were more than just dual engine failure. One engine actually broke off the wing (due to corroded mounting pins) while the engine was running fine... it tore up part of the wind AND smashed into the engine next to it knocking it off the aircraft too. This happened shortly after takeoff. The flight crew was able turn around and start flying back to the airport; as they turned onto final approach though their airspeed got too low for the torn-up wing and it stalled. That loss of lift caused the loss of control. The airplane did stay airborn though on only 2 working engines for a while.

There's a rather informative website, with a somewhat morbid title, that collects this accident type of stuff. I actually make new folks in my group read some of this to remind them of how serious their jobs can be:
              This website is for sale! luxury777sinar.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, luxury777sinar.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It does have pop-up adds though, fair warning. Many of the pics are of maintenance goof-ups... guys forgetting to set the parking brake and finding the airplane rolled into a ditch the next morning; etc. It's not all sick.

mpc

Comment

• andrew.r.w
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Canada.

Russian Wolf, I salute you. Never would I have expected this kind of reaction to a simple question. This might be a record. At least it is probably a record for the total number of hours of thought and calculation devoted to one thread.

I read about 8 pages of replies and some of you can come and work for me anytime. Others, nope.

Anyway, I say the plane flies provided (as someone else pointed out) the bearings can handle twice the normal speed and the engines can produce sufficient thrust to overcome the extra drag from the faster-turning wheels.

I don't expect this to be final, but I'd bet a week's pay on it.
                Andrew

Comment

• TheRic
                  • Jun 2004
                  • West Central Ohio
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by andrew.r.w
                  ...This might be a record. At least it is probably a record for the total number of hours of thought and calculation devoted to one thread....
                  So what is the longest thread on this site?!
                  Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• ejs1097
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I don't think the question can be answered as stated. It all comes down to how "speed" is defined.

Science defines speed as distance traveled over time (such as mph). x=vt (or v=x/t)

One can argue it won't take off because of the conveyer. If you are on a treadmill set at 5 mph you'll have to run to 'stay in place' in relation to your surrounding. But you actually ARE moving your legs at 5 mph because your distance traveled is based upon the length (distance) of conveyour belt passing under your feet.

But if the conveyour is moving at 5mph and you at 10 mph, your moving at 5mph in relations to your surroundings.

So the assumption is made on how the airplane's speed is being measured. By the distance of converyour traveled (or wheel speed)? in which case the plane can't take off. Or by the air speed (amount of air passing around the wings)? in which case it will take off.

Either way the question doesn't state WHAT the airplane's speed is in reference to, conveyour or surroundings. Therefore everyone's right depending upon which assumption they made.
                    Eric
                    Be Kind Online

Comment

• niki
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Poland
                      • EB PK255

The question is a theoretical question and should be answered that way IMO.
                      The question is asking simply "will takeoff or not" considering only one factor; The conveyer is rotating at the plane speed to the opposite direction.

Actually, if it was B-707 or B-747 the tires would blow before it lifts off. The tire speed limit of both planes is 225 MPH (Goodyear). Usually, a fully loaded 707 or 747 will liftoff around (if my memory is not failing me) 150~160 Knots (Nautical mile/hour) that are around 180 MPH and if the conveyer is rotating at the opposite direction at the same speed......

About speeds, normally, the speeds that are generally known are MPH or Km/H (on the other side of the pond). Those who are in maritime, know another speed; Knot (1 Knot = 1.15 MPH.)

In aviation, all the speeds are represented in Knots (except the tire limit speed) but, there are many "speeds" like:
                      GS - Ground Speed
                      TAS - True Air Speed
                      IAS - Indicated Air Speed
                      CAS -Calibrated Air Speed
                      EAS - Equivalent Air Speed
                      Maybe I forgot a few more

The most important speed for the pilot is the IAS that measure the actual MASS of air acting on the wing for the Lift production (and its different at see level and at 41,000 Feet).

Too low an IAS, and the airplane stalls and turns to a falling stone and the gravity lows of Newton will take care for the rest...
                      Too high IAS, will break the plane and it will come down in a form of (big) potato chips.

As Russianwolf said, it's a "trick" question just to test us if we know that there is no connection between the engine and the tires, and it should be answered as a "trick" or very theoretical question (at least I don't know an airport that the runway is a conveyer rotating backward).

Mpc
                      Thanks, I did not know all the facts exept that they had " 2 Engine Sepatation".
                      The same happend to a B-727 that lost an engine at takeoff at Lapaz airport and turn (steep) to land. (Lapaz airport is at 14,000 feet and sorounded by mountains).

niki

Comment

• MilDoc

Oh forgedaboutit!

The plane will crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

Okay, this is a scenario I haven't seen. What if it's a Stanley plane?
                          Lee

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by Stytooner

Then it will dig into the conveyor and get lost in the rollers!

Comment

• TheRic
                              • Jun 2004
                              • West Central Ohio
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by Stytooner

Number 5 or Number 8??!
                              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Stytooner
                                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                                • Dec 2002
                                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                                • BT3100

No stipulations as to a number.
                                If it was a sharp plane, I think it would take off and fly, unless I was using it. In this case it would sit and rust.

I do have one that actually moves though. Typical block plane. This would create belt movement, but after a couple inches, I'd give out and grab a file. How far will a file fly?
                                Lee

Comment

Working...