I swear a heard a banjo...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • 2091
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

    #1

    I swear a heard a banjo...

    While standing in line at the local municipal building I overheard the following conversation:

    "May I help you?"

    'I'd like to build a garage'

    "Did you get a packet from here about the information you need to detail to get a permit?"

    'Yes.'

    "Did you make a copy of a survey, mark the location in your yard and measure for the proper setbacks?"

    'No.'

    "Ok, do you have plans?"

    "Yes, I plan to build a garage..."



    At that point I made eye contact with the employee and I think we both had the same look on our face. I didn't know if I should laugh, smack him or make a very non-PC comment.

    I swear I heard the Deliverance theme..
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #2
    Well the employee did ask....
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

    Comment

    • Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • 6021
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

      #3
      And he votes!

      Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

      For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

      Comment

      • JBCrooks
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006
        • 44
        • Seneca, SC

        #4
        I have to side with the guy wanting to build a garage. After dealing with the codes office while working on my house, I'm ready to go postal. I can almost see the mindset there...

        my property, my money, I'm building a garage. STOP MAKING THINGS DIFFICULT!

        There is an old mobile home on my property that has never been hooked up to power, water, sewer, etc. It was basically set in place, gutted out inside, and used for storage. Now that I am building a house I am tearing down the mobile home. Last week I had the rough framing inspection and the inspector saw the partially demolished mobile home...

        inspector: Did you get a permit to demolish the mobile home?
        me: hahahahhahaha...no....bwahahaha
        inspector: .....
        me Oh....you're serious?
        inspector: Yeah. It's a $50 permit to tear one down.
        me: No...it isn't. It was never hooked up.
        inspector: I'll have to call this in. I may need to stop work it.
        me: Don't waste your time. It is my property that I will do with as I please. I need noone's permission, and I will consider any attempt to take money from me over this as theft.

        He let it drop after that. I can't believe the gall of these people. You'd think our private property rights are gone already...instead of just trickling away.
        Now, I fully support code enforcement on home construction or remodel. There are safety issues and it is better to put up with a little BS than have kids die because their parents didn't know what to look for in a contractor... BUT, they really need to learn some limits.

        Comment

        • Mrs. Wallnut
          Bandsaw Box Momma
          • Apr 2005
          • 1566
          • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

          #5
          Originally posted by Hellrazor
          At that point I made eye contact with the employee and I think we both had the same look on our face. I didn't know if I should laugh, smack him or make a very non-PC comment.

          I swear I heard the Deliverance theme..
          I would have started laughing at that one. But that is me.

          Reminds me of a young girl who was taking a trip and stopped at the mini-mart I used to work at and she was having problems with her car. She said it was making noises, I asked her if she had checked the oil and she looked at me and said "You have to check that? I thought all you had to do was put gas in and drive it and when the oil light comes on you add the oil, and my light didn't come on"

          I shook my head and then checked the oil for her and found it was dry and told her I think there is something seriously wrong with your car and she said she was going to add some oil and keep going on to Seattle she had a date that night. I wished her luck and sold her some oil. The local farmers were just shaking their heads and of course making some comments.
          Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

          Comment

          • gjat
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2005
            • 686
            • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
            • BT3100

            #6
            Originally posted by Mrs. Wallnut
            IReminds me of a young girl who was taking a trip and stopped at the mini-mart I used to work at and she was having problems with her car. She said it was making noises, I asked her if she had checked the oil and she looked at me and said "You have to check that? I thought all you had to do was put gas in and drive it and when the oil light comes on you add the oil, and my light didn't come on"
            OMG!

            I thought the Low Oil light was a convenience feature like the Low Fuel light.

            It isn't?

            Comment

            • SHADOWFOX
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • 1232
              • IL, USA.
              • DELTA 36-675

              #7
              I would have been kicked out of the building because I would not be able to contain myself from belting out a good laugh.
              Chris

              "The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

              Comment

              Working...