Clear All
  • oakchas
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Jefferson City, TN, USA
    • BT3000

Has anybody read...

The Pencil By Henry Petroski?

It made the NY Times Bestseller list several years ago...

This thread is, BTW, Crockett's fault... he got me to thinking about books when he asked about theme songs... (Don't ask me how they relate... It's all about these misfiring synapses of mine)

Anywho, back to the book... It sounds like a thriller about gangsters maybe... "...So Vito Gee called in "The Pencil" to make the hit..." or something along those lines.

It isn't like that. But there is espionage, theivery, and skulduggery involved.

But, honestly, it IS all about pencils... how they developed, how they came to be in their present state... What makes good lead, why do they use Western Red Cedar? What is "plumbago" and why did they guard it with armed guards... Why did you nearly have to go through a strip search when you left the plumbago mine... Where is the big tree under which the first mine for plumbago was dug?

How does one author come up with about 400 pages of stuff about pencils and make it interesting? Interesting... Heck no! It's fascinating... and well written... I'd recommend his other books as well...

We are woodworkers; hence, we design stuff or alter existing designs. His books are about design, mostly. Very good reads, the ones I've read...

Get your own "juices" flowing, read something different!

"But don't take my word for it..!"
    Last edited by oakchas; 11-30-2006, 10:03 PM. Reason: couldn't mis spell crockett... it was his fault after all!
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

No, but now I will check the book out.

Interested to hear how you got from theme songs to books though.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• oakchas
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Jefferson City, TN, USA
      • BT3000

Originally posted by crokett

Interested to hear how you got from theme songs to books though.
      Like I said misfiring synapses... It's like free association, I guess...

Theme song
      Favorite song
      "Where does Crockett come up with these questions?"
      His questions relate to feelings, kinda...
      Give credit to the original artist when you respond...
      Songs are written by somebody else
      books are written
      What interesting book would raise a question like Crockett's?

Well that's kinda the "stream of conciousness" from the question you raised and some of the responses from others... And it came to reminiscing about books I remember well... I read alot... that one came to mind... and it's kinda related to woodworking... Western Red Cedar...

It's a wonder my brain don't slip gears more often... It's always on... and comes up with off the wall stuff like this as often as not.

Comment

Working...