• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Close Calls

We hear about the accidents but usually don't hear about the close ones. The closet I've had was one day 2 summers ago I was crosscutting some ply at my dad's with the circular saw. Just before I finished a cut the dog came running around the shed and caught the extension cord. Jerked the saw off the wood. It laid my shorts open on the front of my thigh from the bottom up and nicked my belt. Tore my boxers some but I did not get a scratch.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Stick
    • Sep 2003
    • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
    • BT3100

Closest call woodworking was when router hit a knot and jerked the stock I was feeding. Took a nick out of my thumbnail.

Welding.....chunk of slag fell into my ear. Yeeowtch!

Machining......momentary power outage, lathe stopped, then came back on a few seconds later. I've since put magnetic starters on my lathe, mill and shaper. Should put one on the table saw too.

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

THe one that has scared me the most happened with my old Craftsman table saw. Got it in '98...the cheapest one they had at the time. It was so poorly made that the splitter that attached at the back of the saw would never stay in line with the blade, which obviously was dangerous. SO, being the highly intelligent person I am, I took the guard off and used it for years that way.

Fast forward to around 2003-2004. (got the 3100 for Christmas '04) I'm cutting something (I think it was plywood) on the saw, when I feel the funniest vibration through my left pointer finger. I look down at my hand, and somehow I had passed the cutting edge of the blade safely, but my pointer finger was in contact with the side of the spinning blade!

Very carefully, I reached for the power switch and decided that my underwear needed changing. I have since learned for the value of a push stick and a blade guard. Unfortunately, like I've mentioned before...the blade guard often is a hinderance to me because of my eyesight. Really, given my vision, woodworking was probably one of the worst hobbies I could've picked up...but you gotta follow your heart.

If anyone is interested, I'm 33 and my left eye is 20/200 corrected, and off the low end of the chart without glasses. Right eye is 20/20 corrected and 20/200 without. Scary, ain't it?
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Woodwerker
        Established Member
        • Nov 2005

I was heading over to the wood rack for some cull to use for a push block, the table saw was on. I brushed up against the motor (JET with external motor) and it sucked my shorts into the fan, as it pulled me towards the motor. Luckily I was able to pull the plug, and change my shorts, for more reasons than one
        Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

Working...