• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meika123
    • Dec 2002
    • Advance, NC, USA.
    • BT3000

Ouch

Well guys, been relatively accident free for a while. Hadn't done anything really stupid in a while, so I suppose it was time.
    This past Monday, a fellow who works for me and I were finishing a deck for a tenant using a framing nailer. Yeah, you guessed it. A 3 1/2" nail through the right thumb, narrowly missing the bone-only a glancing blow. Fortunately the nail went all the way through my thumb, except for the nail head, which was held by the skin at the point of exit.
    The ironic part of all this is: the guy who works for me is the one who shot me. Hey Thom remember "**** Thumb".

Dave in NC
    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Now you've got a peep sight for your "finger gun"

Glad you're okay Dave and I'll share some advice with you ......

The next time this guy asks you to hold something for him to nail ..... Give him the finger and save your thumbs
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

That had to hurt. But I guess it could have been worse. Glad it wasn't. The guns are great, but you can't let your guard down when using them.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

Ouch. That should improve your chances, or at least your visibility, next time you're hitchhiking.
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Sorry to hear about this Dave. That had to hurt. I've gotten myself with my finish nailer before, but not a framing nailer
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Salty
            • Feb 2006
            • Akron, Ohio

I know a guy who forgot to move his foot doing a roof. Luckily the nail went between his toes and just nailed his shoe to the roof. But that had to have raised the hair on his neck!
            Those air tools are fast but the accidents can happen fast as well.
            Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• Turaj
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
              • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by meika123
              ... the guy who works for me is the one who shot me. ..
              And you are paying him Maybe you should pay him more

Glad to hear you are not hurt too bad! Everytime I see one of those nailers, I wonder about these type of accidents. Take care!
              Turaj (in Toronto)
              "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Originally posted by Salty
                I know a guy who forgot to move his foot doing a roof. Luckily the nail went between his toes and just nailed his shoe to the roof. But that had to have raised the hair on his neck!
                Those air tools are fast but the accidents can happen fast as well.
                We were doing a roof several years ago, and one of my sons shot himself in the leg. It hit in just the right place that he couldn't bend the leg. The "barbs" left on the nail made it neccessary to cut it out because pulling it could have damaged the leg further. It was a rough go, getting him down the ladder. Luckily, after the trip to the ER, he was O.K. A 3.25" nail must have been much worse. (shudder)

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Handy Al
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Worthington, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100

The Extreme Makeover folks were in Columbus recently. One of the crew ran a circular saw across the palm of this hand. It took about 6 hours of surgery to repair. I still can't figured out how you can do that. But when your building a house in 5-6 days accidents can happen
                  "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                    • BT3100

One of these days I'll tell you all the story of when I caught my right thumb in a belt sander. Not something easy to do. Took 3 operations to fix.

Sometimes I'm REALLY stupid!!!

Bruce
                    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Nailers can be entertaining. A friend of mine nailed himself to the wall in a house they were working on. No idea how he managed to do it, but the nail went into the eyelet on his boot and pinned his foot to the studwall. He had to yell forsomeone else to come over and pry him free from the wall. He is lucky it only hit the boot...

As far as dangerous... I was sheathing a shed and missed the stud. The nail went through the 1/2" OSB and landed on the house roof. I heard it roll down into the gutter.

Comment

• jseklund
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2006

I am not sure if I even believe this 100% but a friend of mine from high school worked a summer as a painter. He was at a house once when a deck was being rebuilt while he painted. Apparently, a not so bright kid was sitting on the deck with his legs over the side using the nailer and it went off and pinned his testicle to the deck. They apparently had to cut the section of deck out to get him to the hospital.

Sorry if the details are fuzzy...I just remember thinking about the pain!!
                        F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• krogers
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Garden City, New York, USA.

I am really sorry to hear about your injury. Now can we see some pictures?

Comment

• Stick
                            • Sep 2003
                            • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                            • BT3100

When I was in junior high (grade 7) wood shops, one of the kids band sawed 3/4 of the way through his hand before he noticed anything was wrong. Blood was spurting everywhere, and the teacher fainted. One of the other kids hit the panic button and and called the office to get an ambulance. He wound up with full use of his hand after a couple of years.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Ohio
                              • Ryobi bt3100-1

glad to hear it wasn't too bad.
                              Alex

Comment

Working...