• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You're So Vain

Remember that song? LOML a couple of years ago signed me up for the "Craftsman Club". I have taken advantage of some good deals. I just received their latest listings and found this offer for "Personalized Tools". This has got to be the cats' pajamas of vanity.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

You know this is a good idea especially if the person getting them it a mechanic and works in a garage with other mechanics borrowing tools. My dad was a mechanic for years and I remember him getting tools and then using an engraver to put his name or initials on it. If he was still in the trade then I would think about getting those for him. It is not vain but practical, IMO.
    Last edited by Mrs. Wallnut; 11-24-2006, 02:12 PM.
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

If that receipt ($999.99) is for a box wrench and a socket, I doubt I'll be getting soon.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• oakchas
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Jefferson City, TN, USA
        • BT3000

While it might be "over the top" to have a name laser etched or even engraved in sockets and wrenches.... I have used a hammer and a letter punch set to pound my initials into a set of wrenches and sockets before and it works quite well...

You can get letter punch sets from most of the big boxes ar HF for cheap... and personalize some tools... just a thought.

Comment

• mmcduffie
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Des Moines, Washington.
          • BT3000

I've lasered my name into some of my wrenches and for some reason, it won't stick to any of the ratcheting box wrenches.

Michael,
          a bit over the top in Des Moines

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

Speaking of Carly Simon--I really had a crush on her in the 70's. I have always had a thing for women with long flowing hair, dark eyes, and large, full lips. I dated a girl in college who bore more than a passing resemblance to Carly, unfortunately she left me for another husband.

You all know that Carly was married to James Taylor, but did you know she was the daughter of Richard Simon, cofounder of Simon and Schuster publishing company? She also briefly dated Cat Stevens (I guess we can conclude they didn't order the pork cutlet for dinner). Her son with JT--Ben Taylor--is now an emerging singer-songwriter who sounds a lot like his father--heard him on the radio yesterday.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but you jolted a few memory cells with your title...
            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Jeff

As an addendum to your Carly stuff, she never revealed who the song was written about. I should write her and ask which one of her X's has personalized tools.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• ggg71
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2006
                • Swampscott, MA
                • BT3100

You're So Vain

Supposedly it was either:

A - James Taylor
                B - Mick Jagger (who sings backup on the song!) or
                C - Warren Beatty