• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rand
    Established Member
    • May 2005
    • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Not trying to poke at you but that reminded me of this:

"You, too will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children respected their elders. "

I also like this one alot:
    "Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone. "

The full speech is below. Lots of good advice there.

Mary Schmich's "Wear Sunscreen Speech"
    Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97.

Wear Sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 pm on some idle Tuesday. Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself. Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how. Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year- olds I know still don't. Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone. Mayber you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody's else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Dont' be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths. Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will Look 85. Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.
    Rand
    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• JamesDad
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006

I Agree and am trying to help

I agree with what everyone said - it is both sad and a bit funny. For those with grown kids, yes it is a challenge. It is very different from when we grew up back in the 60's and 70's. I am homeschooling my son to keep him away from the Ritalin and drugs and examples of bad behavior and such things. To try to help parents who are concerned about character in children, I created something to try to help. You can find out about it at http://www.learnlivebetter.com/brochure.PDF
      and at http://www.learnlivebetter.com/ by clicking on the Hands-On Learning link. It uses hands-on fun activities to teach kids better ways of living and behaving. Kids these days don't respond well to lectures on behavior but do like to play and have fun. My son helped me choose which activities to include so they would be "cool", and helped me modify the wording so it would be understandable to young ones.

If you know of parents who are concerned about the way the world is now, and might be interested in helping their kids improve their life choices and actions in a fun hands-on way, please let them know about this. It was very recently put on the Christian Book Distributor web site at www.cbd.com. If you are interested, you could let CBD know.

I am hoping this will make a positive significant difference in the lives of others.
      JamesDad's wife

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Know all too well about both sides of this coin, I've lived the change.
        From when I was a kid, we still had people who didn't lock their doors. I was abducted as a kid, and that changed me (I was outside and only gone a few hours). But that taught me the first lesson I ever learned, and STILL have problems with, NEVER TRUST ANYONE.
        Shortly thereafter, learned an addendum to it, especially not family.
        We moved to keep us out of going to a public elementary school, that was already beginning to have problems with weopons in the schools. So I ended up in a different public school, with no friends and almost no support structure. Time went on, but by the time I had graduated, weopons in school had been there for quite a while. Middle school (first class of Middle school), everyone was carrying stars and knives. Freshman year, heck, I knew a gal that had a vest with at least half a dozen weopons (no firearms). Senior year that changed. I had a knife to my throat, and a pistol in my stomach, on school grounds, and couldn't get the school to call the police. I was the least popular, and the most made fun of, I used to find letters/notes, etc, with threats made to the school, others and just general, in other kids handwriting, with my name misspelled, and as word of what was in them would get out, teachers who didn't know me were afraid of me.
        I left the school a month before anyone else, half because the schoolboard was afraid I would snap, and half because the schoolboard was afraid I would sue them.
        There are things I have seen and tried to help fix, or do something about, that is what I think has kept me from snapping. I had it bad, but I have seen a lot worse, and know I have made a difference before.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

Im sure everyone has seen leave it to Beaver. Could you imagine letting your kids at Beavers age outside all day without checking in and letting them go all over town as long as they were home for dinner?
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...