• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Dead Microwave

I'm not too sure if this is the correct place for this, but I know it will be seen.

Last evening my GE over the range (rand hood type) stopped working.

The light comes on, the carousel, the timer works and it does everything but heat food. And yes, I checked the power level, it's set to 10 (the highest).

Not really wanting to take this apart, and considering it's 9 years old and no extended warranty, does it make sense to ditch it and get something new, or try to have it repaired.

BTW, I think it cost about $300 back then.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

I would price a new one and while doing that make sure they fit.
    As far as fixing the old one, especially since you probably like the unit and it has features LOYL can't live without, find a reputable shop that will check it out for you for $20-30 (or free) and put that towards repair if you fix it.
    It could be something as simple as a thermistor or it could be the magnetron (that big magnet in there that produces all the noise.

If you decide to scrap it, make sure to take the magnetron out before you scrap it. One of the best shop magnets ever.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I had an original Amana Radarange that I gave away. At the time the only thing that went wrong was the interior light burned out after 20 something years. It might be worthwhile for an assessment of repairs before you spend your money.
      Getting an estimate or replacing it will entail an (uninstall -the original meaning).

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• DonHo
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
        • Craftsman 21829

It might be something as small as a fuse. I had a couple of Sears microwaves that I used in a small cafe I used to own. They received heavy use and after a year one of them quit. As the Sears store was only a couple of blocks away I took it to be looked at and they replaced a fuse( the cabinet had to come off ) and charged me $10( this was 20 years ago ). The guy who did the work ate with me often and showed me how to replace the fuse. I probably replaced 3 or 4 more fuses on the 2 microwaves over the years. It only took about 5 min. and the fuse cost about 25 cents. I'd google for problems with your model and you might get some ideas as to what to look for and how to do the repair.

DonHo
        Don

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

I agree with Don Ho, look inside for a blown fuse. In my experience, when the magnatron lets go, they make lots of snapping, popping noises.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I second the fuse idea. The two microwaves I've fixed were both fuses. There were fuses for the electronics and low power components (lights, fan, etc.) and then a power fuse for the magnetron.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Thanks for all your help, unfortunately its the magnetron.

But the good news, HD has an LG on special for $179.00 down from almost $300.00. Beats the **** our of getting the old one repaired, and probably cheaper too.

Bruce
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• HarmsWay
                • Nov 2003
                • Victoria, BC
                • BT3000

I'll vote for the thermal interlock. Easy to test though and you can reset them by putting them in the freezer for awhile. I think < 0 C resets them. My MIL's GE had the schematic inside, which was a big surprise.

Bob

Comment

• Stick
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                  • BT3100

Door safety switches sometimes get loose too, often it's just a matter of a simple adjustment. My mother wanted me to haul her 1970 vintage panasonic nuker to the dump. It had the same symptoms you describe. I brought it home, adjusted both the door switches and it's been working fine ever since. The thing is built better than most commercial ones are today.

Comment

• Stick
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                    • BT3100

Door safety switches sometimes get loose too, often it's just a matter of a simple adjustment. My mother wanted me to haul her 1970 vintage panasonic nuker to the dump. It had the same symptoms you describe. I brought it home, adjusted both the door switches and it's been working fine ever since. The thing is built better than most commercial ones are today.

Comment

Working...