You won't believe who the family and I met!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

You won't believe who the family and I met!

Today, here in Montgomery, AL, we had an antique car show at the cultural park. Some tall, blonde haired guy drove up in an orange '69 Dodge Charger.

Yep, it was John Schneider. We knew he was coming. He's promoting a new movie that he wrote and starred in. He came to do a quick autograph session on the way to the Birmingham area. Very polite gentleman, very accomdating. Signed two autographs for my boys. Got several pics of him, two of family members with him, one of which has my wife drooling over him. Also got several pics of his car. He was driving one of his personal Chargers, which I assume he puts magnetic numbers and flags on when needed. When we saw it, the "General" was plain orange.

I have to tell you that it was great meeting a man who I consider a childhood hero. I was very pleased to see that he wasn't full of himself like a lot of celebrities. I've since learned that he considers what he did today an honor. Also nice to know that he is all for family movies and TV. I'm looking forward to his new movie...sounds like it may be like the old Dukes.

If y'all are interested, I'll see about linking to some pics.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

That is very cool. I would like to see some pictures. I met Carl Weathers ( Apollo Creed) quite a few years ago. He has a place over on one of the islands in the sound and had to buy some hay so he bought from a local man and I didn't even realize that it was him. I waited on him and rang up his sandwich and chatted a few minutes with him and then when he walked out the door I looked at my mother whom I was working with and said "Is that who I think it is?" She laughed and said "It sure was."

He was very nice and actually not as tall as in the movies..LOL
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I used to watch "Dukes", a great show. "Daisey" was my favorite. Some celebs I have met are Sylvester Stallone, when they opened Planet Hollywood. He is supposed to be 5'-9", but after meeting him I don't think he's that tall. He wears "booster" shoes. I've heard he could be 5'-7". Either way, he's in good shape and a great actor. Met Joe Namath when "Broadway Joe's" opened, a real party guy, very social. Met Paul Newman at different track events . Followed his career for many years, being a amateur competitor myself. He is very laid back and friendly.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I rented my house out for a movie set a few years back. "Flesh and Bone" staring Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid. Let's just say they weren't the most amicable couple I ever ran across!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• germdoc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Omaha, NE
          • BT3000--the gray ghost

Are you serious, Pappy? I really liked that movie. Very intense.

As far as "celebrities", I met Andy Warhol at Windows on the World--on top of the WTC, now Andy and WOTW are both history. He was very polite, and I got his autograph on a WOTW menu.

I also had the opportunity to see former Pres. Jimmy Carter as a patient when I was in the military stationed in Germany. I got to meet him, his wife and his son. He gave us all peanuts. (Yes, it's true, I work for peanuts.)

Let's see, any more brushes with celebrity? A few days ago a radio station played a live set by the Indigo Girls, who were backed up by members of Smoke, a local Atlanta band. My wife and I went to college with Emily and Amy of the IG's and were really good friends with one of the members of Smoke, Bill Taft.

Oh yeah, and I met Norm Abrams and got my picture taken with him about a year ago!
          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

I used to direct Jack Wagner back before he was on whatever soap opera that was. He was a total jerk then, and when he blew back into town a few years later (promoting his second record) one of the other DJs at the station where I worked at the time interviewed him. He refused to go on unless someone ran out and got him fresh coffee and real cream instead of the station coffee. A real prize.

I met the guy who played Dr. Rossi on Peyton Place back in 1977. He was in town doing Give 'em **** Harry. A nicer, more humble guy I never met. He took pains to meet and greet all us local theatre people, and thanked us for our work.

Remember the band Head East from back in the '70s? They used to play dances at my high school before they got big.

I also met Willie McGhee in a hotel lobby once when he was playing for the Cardinals. He's another nice guy--took time to chat with us for a minute or two even though he was on his way to the ball park.

I have a student who'll remain nameless for now who's destined to go far as an actor.

Every so often in movies I spot people I went to grad school with....

Consorting with the nearly-famous...

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

'Dukes' is the first TV show I can remember watching in the US. Probably a
              good thing I didn't learn English from it.

I have met only B-list celebs but I figure with the whole 6 degrees of
              separation, I'm up there.

Vincent Ventresca from SciFi's Invisible Man at a grocery store in La Jolla, CA
              He also played "Fun Bobby" on Friends. Very nice guy. Good handshake.

Randall 'Tex' Cobb, the Biker from ****, in Raising Arizona in Philadelphia. He
              lives there and frequents the local restaurants in West Philly. Didn't actually
              talk to him but he knew I knew who he was and smiled. Seems nice and
              humble.

This is my one A-list celeb. Probably biggest all-star was Sam Maloof. He
              gave us a tour of his shop, demonstrated his band saw skills, and let me sit
              in one of his chairs. Very, very nice. Huge hands.

Paul

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

I don't live in Beverly Hills or Malibu, my my town has a number of high-zoot neighborhoods favored by "industry" types and athletes. You can hardly turn around without running into someone noticeable. I imagine there are four times that many who are not recognizable, but are important producers, directors, or writers.

But this is an LA Story...

A few weeks ago, LOML and I went with another couple to a crab shack at the beach. The vibe at Neptune's Net, favored by surfers and bikers, was mellow. It was a beautiful evening, with the sun just sinking into the sea.

At the next table was a group who was passing around a petition. It turned out that one of their party had been denied admission to participate in American Idol screenings, due his age. They were going to present the petition to the producers to point out that the 28-year-old limit was missing out on important audience.

At first I wasn't paying attention, as I was dealing with some late-Friday emails (something I won't do while socializing, normally, but things happen). Eventually this guy, aged about 60, grabs the microphone from the girl announcing order numbers and starts belting Roy Orbison and Righteous Bros tunes!

He came back for an encore - he wasn't shy. Next thing you know he's delivering birthday wishes to a couple of parties on the deck and generally just hamming it up!!

He wasn't good enough to change the demographics on American Idol, IMO, but it sure did spice up our Friday night.

JR
                JR

Comment

• KenBurris
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

b-list

my ex-wife worked for a semi mom- and- pop
                  chain of rental stores. one year the midwestmovie distributor had a picnic in Indianapolis for their customers.A limo pulled up, and out came Robert Englund......

In full Freddy costume from the Nightmare films. he sat at our picnic table and chatted for a few minutes - vety personable.

I've also met Jim Fox - drummer from the James Gang - and recently saw them in their reunion tour- first tour together since 1969 - they were terrific! My cousin is a baseball pitcher, since 1996, so I've met a few ballplayers over the years.
                  Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.
                    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

One other semi-famous person that I met happened about 10 years ago. Heard on the radio at the last minute that a Christian artist I was a big fan of was going to be about an hour away that evening.

Went and saw Phil Driscoll, and it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. As a trumpet player, I really enjoyed the show, and I couldn't believe it when I was able to help with teardown and got to meet him and talk to him backstage. Wife was a blubbering idiot, while I was able to actually have a real conversation. Amazingly enough, when he autographed my CD, he made it to her. At least I got to hold his trumpets!

Now, he's awaiting sentencing for tax evasion. Makes it kind of hard for me to pull out his CDs and listen.

Let's see, anyone else famous that I have met? I've met a couple of small name professional jazz and classical musicians such as Bibi Black, Bill Anschell, etc. Almost got to meet Maynard Ferguson, but I wouldn't have been able to talk...ears were ringing waaay too much!
                    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                      • Nov 2004
                      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                      • Delta Contractor Saw

My only celeb encounter was riding up in the same elevator with Stan Musial 40 some odd years ago at his restaurant in St. Louis. I imagine the majority of folks on here wouldn't even recognize the name.

Comment

• stav
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jun 2005
                        • Orlando, FL, USA.

I've never met any superstars, but I have met David Marks when he was in town about a year ago.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Holland, Michigan
                          • Craftsman 21829

My "met a famous person" actually relates to the site!

My family and I were spending a weekend in Northerm Michigan and were were at Mackinac Island - a very nice tourist destination with no motors allowed - only horses. Lots of old-timey shops, etc.

My wife and kids stopped to get an ice cream cone at a shop that had only one other couple in it. After we sat down, I look over and it is Tim Allen! I figured he was on vacation and I knew my kids would be complete geeks, so I just nodded hello to him and didn't tell the kids who he was until he had gotten up and left. Still, it was a lot of fun to sit there thinking "I'm eating ice cream with Tim Allen!"

Then, just last weekend, my wife and I took a train to Chicago to watch "Wicked" and while we were checking into the hotel, Shaun Hannity of Fox News infamy was also checking in.
                          Doug Kerfoot
                          "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                          KeyLlama.com

Comment

• dkerfoot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Holland, Michigan
                            • Craftsman 21829

I met Stan at his restaurant, uh... 30 or so years ago and got an autographed picture. I didn't have a clue who he was at the time, but it was still pretty cool.

Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
                            My only celeb encounter was riding up in the same elevator with Stan Musial 40 some odd years ago at his restaurant in St. Louis. I imagine the majority of folks on here wouldn't even recognize the name.
                            Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• dkerfoot
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2004
                              • Holland, Michigan
                              • Craftsman 21829

Sorry last one, I promise - the Head East post reminded me that I had a not-yet famous person play at a school dance.

Yanni!

Hard to believe, but when he was going to the University of Minnesota, he played keyboards in a band called Rocking Horse.
                              Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...