X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisD
    • Dec 2004
    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

What is your woodworking signature?

Is there a certain style, construction method, material, design element, finishing technique, etc. that you tend to gravitate towards when you design for a project? I guess 'signature' is a misnomer in that your preferences may not be unique.

I kinda had to ask myself this question recently as I contemplated on the next projects that I want to do, i.e. furniture for my kids' bedrooms (or maybe I'm just having a Maslow's Triangle moment). Of course, at the rate that I complete projects, they may well be old enough to leave the nest by the time I'm done; but it's a nice dream to have anyway.

I certainly have not built enough to be able to establish a pattern of design tendency, but from the sketches that I have made of the pieces that I want to make, the books I buy, the articles in a magazine I pick to read first: I think I will be a Shaker-Arts-and-Crafts-and-White-Oak guy who signs his work with a fine-point Sharpie!

What about you?
    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

Every piece I have ever designed has ended up looking very Shaker. Not intentional necessarily, I just design what I like.
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Lately my signature seems to be odd bits of trim or contrasting wood added to cover mistakes.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

I can say that when I make a chess board, I tend to make it octagonal (miter the corners of the frame so that there are no sharp edges). I guess that could be said to be a signature of my design.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

If you were to pin me down,

I'd say my signature style is slightly out-of square-and-one-short-leg....

g.
          Last edited by gsmittle; 10-16-2006, 05:51 PM. Reason: Grammar violation
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• dkhoward
            • Dec 2003
            • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
            • bt3000

my style tends to be more mission oriented .. . . and usually iwth one blood splatter somewhere in an out of the way place .. ..
            Dennis K Howard
            www.geocities.com/dennishoward
            "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Does drop and smears of blood count as a signiture? For some reason I alway manage to inflict a small cut on myself and not notice until a nice clean ready for finish is all bloodied up. I have not developed the skills necessary to have a particular style or signiture. If I did it would be more the simple or shaker style. I do like the stickley style and mission style but being Scandanavian I do like that style also.

Tom
              Last edited by TB Roye; 10-17-2006, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

My projects lately have been rather transparent and fish like.

Actually I basically let the project dictate style, finishes, design and so forth. I like to do a little bit of everything, so translated, I reckon my sig would be eclectic.
                Lee

Comment

• Rob R
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • West, Michigan.

i suppose i'm with Sam. they always end up having the roots in shaker design. but when i go into a store, the shaker furniture...um no thanks.

go figure.

rob

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Clemson, SC, USA
                    • Rigid TS3650

I tend toward the mission/A&C style - maybe a reflection of my skill level. I like the sturdy, non-delicate joinery, probably a result of being too unsure of myself at this point to try queen anne or something.
                    Ken Weaver
                    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• linear
                      • May 2004
                      • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Not mine, but a friend of mine uses a penny dated from the year the project was completed. It fits neatly in a 3/4" hole, so all you need is a 3/4" forstner bit, and from there out it costs $0.01 per project.

I like the silver sharpies myself.
                      --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Clemson, SC, USA
                        • Rigid TS3650

Originally posted by linear
                        Not mine, but a friend of mine uses a penny dated from the year the project was completed. It fits neatly in a 3/4" hole, so all you need is a 3/4" forstner bit, and from there out it costs $0.01 per project.
                        That is such a cool idea! Use epoxy to seal the penny in the hole?
                        Ken Weaver
                        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Salty
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Akron, Ohio

I use the hap-hazard style.
                          If the finished project hap...pens to look good...so much the better.
                          The hazard? Well, if there is a mistake and it isn't visable, there isn't one and noone but me will know.
                          If it is visible I just say it was designed that way and the reason is my secret.

:-)
                          Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• linear
                            • May 2004
                            • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Ken Weaver
                            That is such a cool idea! Use epoxy to seal the penny in the hole?
                            Ken, I'm pretty sure they just press-fit in there. Unless you got a runout problem with your drill press.

I was once looking into getting a custom brand made for pyrography. It didn't take long to convince myself I would be better off taking a piece of brass plate and using a Dremel to engrave my own brand. Then I just need to to tap it and thread in a stud that lets you attach it to the tip of a cheapie woodburning iron (or soldering pencil). Or thread on a handle and heat him up with a propane torch.
                            --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• scmhogg
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                              • BT3000

Steve
                              I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...