• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dkhoward
    • Dec 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
    • bt3000

A small non-tool gloat . . . . .

I have been looking at hot tubs for some time and last week decided just to see what was on the market in the used area. Consulted the local edition of the Thirfty Nickel want ads and almost immediately came upon an ad for a Morgan hot tub for sale cheap, needs some work. I called the number and spoke to the guy about the spa. Short side of the story;

The spa came with the house when he bought it. He used it for about a year then shut it down and it sat for almost a year. His kids decided to use so he fills it up and turns it on. THe spa doesn't work right, the pump surges and sputters. He calls the repair guy and its diagnosed as a bad controller, cost about $800 to repair. This is a 10 year old tub so he puts the add in the paper.

I, being curious, go to look at it. THe cover is bange up pretty good but still in one piece so it still insulates. THe redwood enclosure is in good shape. Needs a little TLC and some sealer but the panels are whole and the frame is solid. All the right indicator lights come on, so i ask, how much? He says $175.00 if I move it this weekend. We move it.

Get it home, drop another $170.00 to put in a dedicated 50 amp circuit with a gfci and the appropriate wiring. Turn it on, lights come on, motors whir, bubble bubble, heater doesnt heat. Open up the contoll box and look at the panel. All seems well. Check the continuity of the heater element. Everything is good. touch the pressure switch on the heater and it falls apart. AHA. Hot wire around the pressure switch, BINGO, heater comes on.

Blower motor fails to start. I havent diagnoses that yet, but as of right now, everything else is working, water is a pleasant 104 degrees. ALl the other pumps work fine, no leaks.

Ordered a new pressure switch (18.95 plust shipping on ebay).

THe Gloat, a spa which retailed for about $4500 dollars new in 1996 for about $400.0 plus time, a hamburger lunch for 8 college kids to move it, and a little internet time to dowmload manuals.

Im off to get in the spa.

Later
    Dennis K Howard
    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I have passed on some hot tub "deals" off craigslist. Some needed a lot more work than I wanted to get into but most of them were too old or too big. I am looking for a smaller unit, either a corner style or a rectangular 2-3 person tub.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• dkhoward
      • Dec 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
      • bt3000

keep looking Pappy. There are some real deals ou there. What I have discovered in the past two weeks is that most people don't have a clue about how their spa works. Most of the service companies don't want to spend any real time diagnosing or repairing problems, they only want to drop in a whole new spa pack and make the big bucks quick. There is a wealth of information on the internet and most of the companies are using internal parts for just two or three OEM suppliers so finding parts and information is not that hard.
      Dennis K Howard
      www.geocities.com/dennishoward
      "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

Working...