• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Build or Buy?

Thinking about upgrading or replacing my current PC. Still determining what the problem with it is.

Specs are:

6 yr old Athalon 850Mghz, 512 MB RAM, 4 SCSI HDDs - 160GB total, internal CD burner, external DVD/CD Burner. I want to keep the HDDs.

I can replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM for about 250 bucks or get a new PC for about 350.00 but don't want to pay for the Windows license since I will probably move it to Linux. I already have an XP Pro upgrade license anyway.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

I say buy.. Go to dell home or small business and they are pretty much giving away some of their desktops.

This guys even have instructions on how to get the deal.
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Times of PC upgrades are over. Buy a PC. If it comes with Windows - on the first start it will ask you to agree with Microsoft EULA (End-User License Agreement). Reject the agreement and call the vendor for a rebate for OS software. There were legal cases about it and most vendors will easily accept the fact that you either don't want or already have a license and they will give a rebate. I got it from Dell without hassle.
      Alex V

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

It really depends on what you need to use it for?
        If a gaming machine is what you are striving for custom builds are the way to go.
        For a general home/office machine any up to date brand name will handle all the basic chores without a problem.
        If you think you can save money building it yourself think again for the price of quality parts and an operating system, you can buy get a nice software package and a warranty this doesn't even consider your time and energy put into building.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• MilDoc

Look at the new Dell XPS systems with dual core processors. I uograded from my 5 year old Compaq 850M Athalon a few months ago and wouldn't ever go back. Build your own? Been there, done that. IMHO not worth it anymore unless you want a super rig, aka MaximumPC for > $10,000

Comment

• jseklund
            Established Member
            • Aug 2006

My gut reaction to this is BUILD! But Maxparot pretty much lays out why. Building it yourself probably will not save you money. Why not? Because you will be faced with buying some memory for $100 or slightly better memory for $120. And then there is the video card. OK video card, or kind good video card for $30 more? You will be faced with these decisions at every turn, and $20 hear and there adds up to $200-300 extra quickly. It's just like buying tools for your workshop!

If you just want a cheap computer to surf the net- anyone will probably do. I really despise dells over the last few years, mostly because of their crappy parts and even worse customer service. The upside with a dell is that I heard you get a free squishy with every order now. (sorry- not only is that geek humor, but it's off-color too!) However, if you're just surfing the net- then you really don't need a new computer either. And I bet the $250 motherboard, ram and chip will make your computer better than any $350 computer you buy. The motherboard, RAM, and Chip are the three biggest factors IMO. You'd basically be building an almost new computer for $250 that is better than a new computer with a brand badge for $350.

If quality is your thing though- build it. You will have complete control over the parts, and it's easy to put together. It should take you about 1 hour to put together and about 2 hours to install all of your software. However, you'll spend 2 hours RE-Installing your software if you upgrade your computer and about 1 hour probably if you buy a new one. The real time eater is the time spent on Newegg picking out the parts and working within the budget.

Oh, and another thing to consider- most computer manufacturers give 1 year warranty. Most parts manufacturers give 3 year warrantys. So, once you know how to identify and fix, you should actually have a better warranty with your own build- but you will be the person who has to do the trouble shooting.
            F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• parnelli
              • Aug 2004
              • bt3100

If you're comfortable with it, I go the build route. Can you get a DELL cheap? Sure. It will have bare minimum memory and a slow, relatively small hard drive- and you are faced with the option of upgrading that stuff when you get it home, or paying the way overpriced amounts they want.

A LOT of what you do is going to depend on your drives which you want to keep. One of the things Dell (and the others) do to keep down costs is to not have many expansion ports. Your SCSI drives I think are going to end up helping you make the decision.

Also- I don't know what type of stuff you do with your system- that'll make a big difference in what you'll need obviously.

Comment

• MilDoc

SCSIs used to be the king of the hill. With faster SATA drives I'm not so sure anymore ... but I could be wrong.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I read the replies and was thinking some more. will just replace the motherboard processor and RAM if we upgrade. Everything else works fine. I don't game so a super powered video card is not necessary.

I run the SCSI disks because they are disks that came out of a scrapped server at work. At the time they were some of the fastest disks on the market. Now they are not but they have a longer life expectancy than any consumer-class disks. And I could hook 15 up to my computer if I wanted to.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
                    SCSIs used to be the king of the hill. With faster SATA drives I'm not so sure anymore ... but I could be wrong.
                    SCSI is still king at 320MB/s. But you must have a card for it (regularly a 64 bit pci slot), the wallet for it, and should really have a need for it (serving all members of BT3central on this forum at once).
                    I still build my own. It costs more, because I buy better components. Dell does sell some sever class systems, reasonably (thought normally you'll upgrade the memory amount) without the Windows tax (can you tell I am bias'd by my name?). You will be harder pressed to find onboard scsi reasonably, if you don't have a card.
                    If you need it quickly, you might still be better off with a prebuilt. But as I don't know what happened to your old one, if it's not dead (just upgrading), make it your learning linux box, so you always have a working one to search the net for answers!!!
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Hoover
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • USA.

I built the computer, that I am currently using, with parts that aren't proprietary. I ordered online or purchased @ a brick and mortar store, the parts to build it. If something goes bad, I don't have to second guess if a component will work or not. With Dell and others, replacement components may, or may not work with the other components. I may be all wet, but I can upgrade separate components to make the computer less likely to be obsolete in 6 months or so. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
                      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• scorrpio
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Performance: build. If you want the system to run latest and greatest, you should always build. PCs I build get CoolerMaster cases, Antec power supplies, Asus mobos, Corsair memory, WD hard drives, All quality components with no corners cut. A brand could sell you a "performance" PC price similar to a custom build, but with parts that are rather questionable. Also, dunno about others, but Dell stuffs your PC chockfull of demo software, promotional offers, blah blah. When dealing with a just arrived brand PC, my first urge is to reformat the drives and do a clean OS install.

Non-performance with a look to eventually go performance: build. The budget PCs sold by brands usually have anemic, dead-end mobos that won't let you upgrade later. My solution: build around a good highly integrated mobo. I.E. Asus M2NPV-VM. This mobo got everything onboard, including network, sound and video. $89 at Newegg. You can fit it with a low-end AM2 Sempron CPU($41) a view to upgrade to a much faster Athlon 64 X2 or even FX. Dual channel DDR2 means you can start out with a single 512MB stick of DDR2/533 ($56) with a view to going dual-channel DDR2/800 later. You can skip getting a video card altogeather (integrated video) with a view to getting a high-end card later. A brand PC is not likely to contain a mobo with so much potential.

Non-performance: this is gray area, and a brand can actually squeeze out a custom build.

Far as SCSI - yours is likely an old old one, way behind the curve. Yeah, there is ultra-wide SCSI that is dreadfully expensive and used by servers, and is good for servicing multiple user accessing, and totally not needed on a home PC. Really, SATA will give you all the speed you need.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

As for hard drive warranties. Since manufacturers dropped the warranties a few years back, I have only bought Seagates, due to it's five year warranty.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• bfrikken
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Michigan, USA.
                            • BT-3100

Originally posted by crokett
                            Thinking about upgrading or replacing my current PC. Still determining what the problem with it is.

Specs are:

6 yr old Athalon 850Mghz, 512 MB RAM, 4 SCSI HDDs - 160GB total, internal CD burner, external DVD/CD Burner. I want to keep the HDDs.

I can replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM for about 250 bucks or get a new PC for about 350.00 but don't want to pay for the Windows license since I will probably move it to Linux. I already have an XP Pro upgrade license anyway.

What are the parts you are looking at for 250? I just did a mobo and cpu for 125 ish. Memory would have put me around 200. But that was 1gb stick and it had a rebate getting it to around 60ish, so 180 or so out the door. Of course the motherboard i picked had onboard video sound too, so i saved there.

Normally, i say just build. If you are upgrading a motherboard, a lot of newer boards need 24 pins power connectors, so you will have to keep in mind the P/S and case.

If you have some time and patience, Deals can be found on everything. I bought a new case for 9.99 after a 40 dollar rebate. I bought 2 P/S's for FAR and free s/h. (i needed an extra one for an old case upgrade).

As for buying dells, I periodically see very good if not great deals that are well worth it. However, right now the only good deal I see personally requires a small business account.

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by scorrpio
                              Far as SCSI - yours is likely an old old one, way behind the curve. Yeah, there is ultra-wide SCSI that is dreadfully expensive and used by servers, and is good for servicing multiple user accessing, and totally not needed on a home PC. Really, SATA will give you all the speed you need.
                              Actually I am running ultra-wide. The parts all came from various customer returns as 'bad' and were going to be scrapped. I have been running them just fine for a few years.

bfrikken - I was doing a quick check on tigerdirect at current prices. I didn't know they'd changed the pinout on the power supply - as far as I know ATX is ATX, correct? Or has the pinout for ATX changed?
                              David

Comment

Working...