• Show
Clear All
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

Gun Owners

I didn't want to hijack the other post but was wondering what is the most anyone has spent on a Scope and was it more than the gun it went on?
    I bought a Leupold off the internet for abou $900 and that was a few hundred cheaper than what I could get it at the store or PX at the time.
    And it was more than the Gun I put it on. Thats not counting the rings and base which was about another hunderd.
    They have since improved and put the reticle on the front to estimate range at any magnification. (for an additional fee I think) I might try to upgrade mine one day.
    This is what I would have bought today.

IT would be $1200 minus whatever military discount they have so It would be more. It has been a few years too but I don't recall getting a military discount then.
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Never that much! I've had great luck with the old Varix II 3x9's....last one paid near $200 for and put on a $350 rifle.

For rimfires I just use a low priced bushnell.

With the Ruger and Leupold I've been able to shoot across a canyon to minute of tree snag! perhaps 500 yards
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Jim Boyd
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

It has been so long since I've bought a scope, I don't remember It couldn't have been over a couple hundred.
      Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Don't think I have ever used a scope. With the M-14 and M-16, I was good to 500 yards on a taget the size of a man. With my eyesight today, and my 30-30, I figure I am still good to about 250-300 yards. With the 20 ga I don't figure it matters much if the target is in range!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• lcm1947
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Austin, Texas
          • BT 3100-1

So I assume you are a target shooter then? I myself used to reload and target shoot as well as hunt. I really got into studying cartridges and their ballistics for a good many years during this period and sure enjoyed it. Still have a great interest and desire in both hunting and firearms but have just gotten out of it. Anyway, that's some scope. Back in my day Redfields were the cats meow but it's been a while. Leupold always was a good scope but at least in my area Redfield and weatherbys were something everybody dreamed for but few had. I had two. A 25/06 and 270 weatherby Magnum with a Redfields 3x9 variable on both. I can't believe the prices today though. That's unbelievable. Guess I'm glad I got out of it - well almost.
          May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

For curiousities sake, what type shooting do you do that requires a $1000 scope, Onestop? Competition, mountain goat, etc..??

I suppose I am out of touch with prices as I don't do rifles anymore. I have a concealed weapons permit and am familar with .45 Auto prices. $1000 for scope, whoa!

I did have a Redfield scope mounted on a Remington 700 with bull barrel, glass lined stock and competiton trigger once. It was extremely effective up to around 1200 meters using .308 match grade ammo from Lake City arsenal if my memory serves me well.

I have no idea what the Redfield cost then or now. It came already mounted on the rifle as the whole thing was sort of a "loaner" package deal and had to be returned to the owner when I was throught using it.

Regards...

Comment

• Rob3100
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2005
              • New Braunfels, TX, USA.
              • BT3100

I have a Mark 4 M3 on a rifle of mine which was comparable to the NIB cost of the rifle, but not more than after my smith was done with it.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

Boy, you jarheads just love to spend money.

First of all, what type of shooting/hunting are you going to do. Now be honest with yourself. If you usually hunt in heavy to moderate brush, like we have here in NY State, a 3x scope is sufficient. Anything with a higher magnification just won't work.

On the other hand, if you're going to hunt in Utah or areas with flat open areas, then a 10x is probably the minimum. Keep in mind that the higher the magnification, the more "jump" you will see in the scope and you'll also have a much smaller area of view.

Now, if you're using a bolt action single shot .50 cal and are doing 1000 meter kills from a solid rest and have a spotter with you, I'll let you fill in the rest.

And for shots that are any farther then that, I used to call in arty or air support.

Bruce
                Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 09-21-2006, 07:12 PM.
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

I would never pay more than $300 for a scope. To me it silly to pay more for the scope then the rifle its going on.

I have 3x9 50mm Leupold Vari-X II's on most of my rifles. Which has been good enough for the hunting I have done. I used to hunt mostly open field between woodlots and could shoot up to 300yards or so.

Comment

• sunset
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Lake Huron shoreline

I've used Leupolds exclusively for many years after upgrading to them, never had regrets.
                    What I paid though was a small fraction of todays retail prices...and yes, that amount was less than the value of the rifle.

Comment

Working...