• Show
Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Apologies to a Great man...

I just watched one of the most moving tributes I have ever seen - to Steve Irwin. I feel like a real idiot I hope you all get to hear the poem "The crocodiles are crying" - says it all.

Like, I suspect, a lot of Aussies; I had no idea of his contribution to World conservation. He was clearly, much better known outside of Oz, and because we have no young children, there was no one to push us to watch him.

His "crikey" signature was (to many of us), just an Aussie cringe term and his "country" style a little "too" much.

So, if you're looking down, Steve...

Please accept my heartfelt apologies. I should have taken the time to understand what you stood for; what you did; and the difference you have made to the World.

It sure looks like your little girl has grabbed the torch
    Last edited by RodKirby; 09-19-2006, 08:09 PM.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Amen, Rod. I have enjoyed watching him. Learned a lot. I would always think to myself "Now there's a guy with a passion". He will be sorely missed, but luckily for the rest of the world, he will live on in documentaries and continue to teach his stuff.
    Lee

Comment

• parnelli
      • Aug 2004
      • bt3100

I didn't see the memorial- but I see that it's on tv here in the states on Animal Planet in just under 45 minutes. (Midnight ET) Guess I'll stay up and watch it.

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Watching now. He was a man full of life and it showed. What a rousing send off. Very moving it brought smiles and tears.

Tom
        Last edited by TB Roye; 09-20-2006, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

Originally posted by parnelli
          I didn't see the memorial- but I see that it's on tv here in the states on Animal Planet in just under 45 minutes. (Midnight ET) Guess I'll stay up and watch it.
          Darn I missed it. Maybe I will catch it later.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• jAngiel
            • Oct 2003
            • Ryobi BT3100

Anyone know when it's on again? I forgot to tivo it for the kids.
            James

Comment

• ElRay
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • NoIL

Don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but from what made it here about the details, proper first aid might have saved him. Supposedly he removed the stinger and quickly bled-out. It should have been left in, stabilized and removed at the hospital.

I'm not pointing the out to detract from the man's memory, but in a hope to save a life if anybody else finds themselves impaled, which is a distinct possibility -- Remember the kick-back pictures with boards imbedded in walls?

Ray
              "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
              --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• tuttlejr
                Established Member
                • Aug 2003
                • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

I have always understood that the Sting Ray barb had poison on it.
                Bob Tuttle

Comment

• ElRay
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • NoIL

Originally posted by tuttlejr
                  I have always understood that the Sting Ray barb had poison on it.
                  Some have enough to make a some adults ill, but none of them are strong enough to kill. Even if they were as poisonous as a rattlesnake (or worse), you'll bleed to death in minutes and that's still faster than venom.

Ray
                  "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
                  --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• jAngiel
                    • Oct 2003
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I read some statistic somewhere online that indicated that the majority of all chest injuries by stingrays (Croc Hunter not the first) were fatal, and they were mostly due to the toxins in the venom.
                    James

Comment

• ElRay
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • NoIL

That statistic could very well be true, because pulling the barbed stinger out would result in death almost 100% of the time, so it's left in for a longer period of time. Even if it is true that most of the deaths were the result of the venom, that doesn't mean that the right thing to do is rip the stinger out.

It's a similar situation to the kid who died from garter snake venom because the dad hacked the body off the snake and they couldn't remove the snake's head, so the kid got a massive dose of venom by the time they got to the hospital.

Ray
                      --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• pushrod
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Panama City, FL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Garter Snake venom!?

What kind of ****-spawned Garters you have there in Illinois?

The ones I remember messing with used to bite us all the time. Heck, I remember hanging one off each ear to scare the bejeebies out of my mother.
                        \"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.\"

Comment

• ElRay
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • NoIL

Originally posted by pushrod
                          Garter Snake venom!?
                          Actually, it was while we lived in NY. The snake bit a ~5 year-old, the dad killed the snake with a shovel while it was still biting the kid. They couldn't remove the head, so they drove to the hospital. The body-less head had been chomped into the kid for about an hour before it was removed. Small body size, plus long injection time lead to it being a fatal bite. Pretty tragic given that everybody was just trying to help and had no idea that the mild venom in Garter snakes could actually be fatal.

Ray
                          --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...