• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L. D. Jeffries
    • Dec 2005
    • Russell, NY, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Withdrawl Symptoms

You may or may not have seen a couple of my past posts concerning building a bathroom dresser. Well, it still sits in my shop about 1/3 done! Three weeks ago somehow I tore the cartledge in my left knee. Had out-patient surgery last Fri. and have been hobbling around for the past 6 days; strictly forbidden by LOML to get out to the shop. Believe me, day time TV is about the MOST boring thing I can think of! Sharpened a pencil the other day and found my self sniffing the shavings; so guess I have a definate withdrawl problem. Problem is that my knee feels pretty good until the end of the day, but I can't convince my "Warden" that just a a little time in the shop would probably be very good therapy! Go back to the "pill pusher" next week and hopefully will get some kind of go-ahead to resume some kind of normal life. So all I can do now is sit in the house and mentally try to let my lonesome shop know I haven't forgotten it.
    RuffSawn
    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Snorting pencil shavings, eh? You DO have it bad.

Hope you're in the shop again, soon.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Sorry to hear about your mishap, I hope it heals soon and permanently.
      Now for the important stuff. ;-D
      This is a perfect time to get a scrollsaw if you don't have one. You can sit and use it. Also, lots of folks place a mini lathe low enough to sit while using it, another opportunity to get a new tool, and the list goes on.
      k

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

She has to sleep sometime!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

LD - I really hope things brighten up and you get back into it. I found our 2 months ago that I have a similar problem, but we're trying to get by without surgery. After your experience I hope what I'm doing works.
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• MilDoc

Hey - knees are more valuable than shop time!

Comment

• BB
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2005
              • McDonough, GA, USA.
              • Delta Contractor Saw with T-2 Fence, Incra 100SE, PALS, Tenryu Rapid Cut 40T and Ridgid Mobile Base

Hi LD,

I feel your pain! I had back surgery last Fri. I was supposed to be in the hospital 3 days. I was home in 24 hrs. My Nurse Sargent has forbiddon me in the shop too. The only TV during the day is the Military channel. You could start watching DIY in the afternoon and learn how to knit. That will bring a new dimension to your woodworking projects. Right now, my brand spanking new Craftsman 14" BS is in the box waiting for me to bring it to life. Laid out has giving me time to review my WW books and mags again and again and again. I am able to review posts on BT3 as they are made. LOL
              Good luck to your recovery and may it be short as possible.
              BB

Comment

• RayintheUK
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
                Believe me, day time TV is about the MOST boring thing I can think of! Sharpened a pencil the other day and found my self sniffing the shavings
                Sorry to hear of your injury, L.D. I reckon if I was watching daytime TV and had just sharpened a pencil, I'd jam it into my temple - that stuff is SO boring!

Get well soon - you too, BB!

Ray.
                Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Popeye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Woodbine, Ga
                  • Grizzly 1023SL

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone is on welfare in this country. Daytime TV would drive me to finding a job in about two days.
                  I almost don't like to leave the house when I go on vacation because of WW withdrawal. I get it after three days....sometimes two. Going to Thom's house in Pa was the only thing that saved me in July.
                  Hope you get better soon. Truth is like Doc said though, knees are more valuable than shop time. Get those projects planned Pat
                  Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Russell, NY, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks gang for all the welcome thoughts. Actually I lied a little bit..have been watching the History and DIY channel; and I got LOML to bring in all my old woodworking mags along with some "wish book" catalogs. Knee feels pretty good today and hopefully by next week I can be released for "limited duty" Again, thanks to all for your interest and words.
                    RuffSawn

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

Glad you are feeling better today. Hope you continue to improve.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Russell, NY, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Withdrawl, part II

Got back from the "pill pusher" late this afternoon with a "go ahead" to, as the Doc put it, resume whatever you feel up to doing, but no football or stuff like that!. As if at my age I would anyway. So, anyway first thing tomorrow morning its off to the shop I go. Blow the cobwebs off stuff and finish the bathroom storage chest. As soon as I figure out how to post pic's I will send some. Chance to try out my new digital camera; you know the ones with a million "bells & whistles" that when all is said and done you use maybe 1/3 of them?
                        I know there is a post somewhere that explains how to post pic's but I'll be ****ed if I can find it. Any directions out there? Thanks gang.
                        RuffSawn

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

I know there is a post somewhere that explains how to post pic's but I'll be ****ed if I can find it. Any directions out there?
                          Try this link:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=19309

JR
                          JR

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Got back from the "pill pusher" late this afternoon with a "go ahead" to, as the Doc put it, resume whatever you feel up to doing, but no football or stuff like that!. As if at my age I would anyway. So, anyway first thing tomorrow morning its off to the shop I go. Blow the cobwebs off stuff and finish the bathroom storage chest.
                            Just leave the band saw in the box until you have someone else to do the lifting ('do', not 'help with'!).
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

Working...