• Show
Clear All
  • axio
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Castro Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Life's About to Change

Hi guys, I haven't been on here in a while... but I do miss it. I haven't had a chance to do woodworking cuz the shop is my garage, but it's currently filled with all of my house stuff since I'm trying to sell my house. It's been 4 months, no bites.

anyways, I'm getting married in a week and a half!!!

Secondly, I just got a call from the Oakland Police Department. they extended me a conditional job offer. I gotta go in and take another 2.5 hour test tomorrow, I'm thinking a more extensive polygraph and psych exam... I hope I get this.... I'll keep you guys posted...

-Derrick
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Good luck hope you get the job. The real estate market has taken a dump here in California. A lot of houses around me are for sale. Adjustable rate mortgages have got a lot of people. The prices have not drop to much, some people have their houses over priced, at last years levels, that was last year not going to happen this year. The housew that are priced at a more realistic price are selling after a few months. If you become a police offficer in Oakland you will be busy.

Tom

Tom

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Good luck on all 3 counts, Derrick!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Jaden
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Trenton, MI
        • BT3100

Very good luck on every one of these ventures.

Steve
        "I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

• Warren
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Anchorage, Ak
          • BT3000

Good luck. I believe that the Oakland Police offer some classes for cops spouses. If you get the job encourage her to attend. She's in for a bigger shock than you are. I always told my rookies that if they were married and their wife ever insisted they get out of the job, do so.

I was a copper before I got married so my wife was very familiar with the requirements of the job and had no room to complain. The job will change you. You will have to struggle to keep a balance between it and your family. You're going to have major ups and downs which your wife will not be able to relate to unless she gets involved.

I could go on and on. So, if you get on the job feel free to e-mail me any time 24/7. And follow this advice, find a good role model. Don't sweat the John Wayne syndrome, just get over it as fast as you can.
          A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Yep, I'd say you are about to have a few changes! Good luck with all of them!
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Marriage, job change and selling a house all at once? You don't take small bites out of life do you? Good luck with the job and the house and congratulations on getting married!
              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

Talk about taking a big step. I wish you the best in your marriage and job. Good luck on the test.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by BobSch
                  Marriage, job change and selling a house all at once? You don't take small bites out of life do you? Good luck with the job and the house and congratulations on getting married!
                  Just wait till the little lady says "Honey, we're pregnant"

Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Best of luck on your endeavours! Sounds like you are in for quite some changes.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Derrick,

You have no idea.

A couple things that will keep you out of most trouble:

1. She will kill you on the details. The .00099% of the time you are right and she isn't, it is probably not worth the trouble.

2. Female and logic are mutually exclusive. She makes decisions based 10% on fact and 90% on emotion. You do the reverse. That is why for her 2+2 will equal 4 one day, but not the next. She will also mangle the facts beyond all recognition to arrive at the decision she wants. You make the right decision even if you don't like it. You need to account for that when you and she are discussing things - she will never recognize that she does this. If you want to change her mind, change her feelings.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...